Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Do I need an HDMI cable to use an HD DVD player?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-07, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own a Sony Grand Wega KDF-42E2000 42 Rear-Projection LCD TV 720p. I plan on buying an HD-DVD player this weekend and I would like to know if I am going to need an HDMI cable to experience true HD picture. I currently own one of Sony's upscaling DVD players. I bought a cheap HDMI cable online a few months ago but it doesn't seem to work.
Old 05-30-07, 09:36 PM

You will be able to pass the HD signal with either the HDMI cable, or component cables. Only the HDMI connection will be able to pass an upconverted signal. You haven't been getting an upscaled image with your existing setup if you're not using the HDMI connection.

Try another HDMI cable with the new unit; it doesn't have to be expensive...look at monoprice.com

Phil
Old 05-31-07, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by Michaell625
I own a Sony Grand Wega KDF-42E2000 42 Rear-Projection LCD TV 720p. I plan on buying an HD-DVD player this weekend and I would like to know if I am going to need an HDMI cable to experience true HD picture. I currently own one of Sony's upscaling DVD players. I bought a cheap HDMI cable online a few months ago but it doesn't seem to work.
if you've been using your upconverting player without HDMI cables then you haven't been getting an upconverted picture. seems like a waste since i'm sure that's why you bought the player. if you get the new HD-DVD player make sure to get HDMI cable for the upconverting.
Old 05-31-07, 11:13 AM

Might I suggest you get a cheap HDMI cable from Monoprice.
Old 05-31-07, 01:05 PM

Thanks everyone.