Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

HD DVD a year later (a report card). How has your outlook changed?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

HD DVD a year later (a report card). How has your outlook changed?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-07, 04:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I've had an HDTV for 6 months now, and I am dying to own a Hi Def player. The only problem is that I generally have terrible luck, and I know whichever format I decide to buy will be the one that goes belly-up.

There are just as many people saying BD will win as there are saying HD will win, and just as many people saying that both formats will die off due to lack of interest as there are saying both will be around for years. It's all very confusing and anything but certain.

I can't justify putting my money into 2 formats, and I seem incapable of choosing. So when I bought my TV, I bought an Oppo upconverting player and am still buying SD discs. I'm such an anal completist that if I buy one format I will end up buying the other, and I really can't afford to do that.

I'd be well into a Hi Def collection if not for that.
Old 05-10-07, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well what do ya know?!?

I finally got a response from Universal!

Dear HD-DVD Owner,

Thank you for contacting Universal Studios Home Entertainment. We strive
to provide the highest standard in product quality and customer care.

The manufacturers of HD-DVD players have made firmware upgrades available
for their products. If you have not already done so, please confirm that
your player is equipped with the most recent upgrades.

If your HD-DVD does not play correctly with the latest firmware installed,
please complete the information requested below and return to us. Once we
have received your e-mail, we will send you a postage paid envelope in
which to return your defective HD-DVD(s) for evaluation and replacement.
Please send the disc(s) only (without packaging).

1. Your name:
2. Mailing address:
3. City, State, ZIP:
4. Daytime telephone number:
5. HD-DVD Title(s) to be replaced:

Please allow 3 - 6 weeks to receive your replacement package.

We appreciate your patronage and hope that you will continue to enjoy our
releases.

I guess that complaining profusely CAN actually work! (Please don’t tell my wife that I said that!) LOL
Old 05-11-07, 11:43 AM

I have a glitch-free HD-A1 (knock on wood) since June of last year and I'm still loving it. My HD DVD collection is up to 210 titles now and I'm never afraid of running out of something to watch. My next upgrade will be my 10 year old receiver.
Old 05-11-07, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My (unpopular) opinion hasn't changed. I'm waiting for a player that is worth my while, I can't afford to buy one/two now and then upgrade when the "real" ones appear. I'll take either format. Or both. There hasn't been a single one that takes advantage of ALL the new technology available to whichever format. I find that deplorable, even though I predicted it would be 2 years before such a machine was available. I hate it when I'm right about idiocy.
Old 05-14-07, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I have had HD-DVD for awhile and am new in the BD dept. Toshiba has dropped the ball repeatedly, but it feels like a better product. When given the choice, I will buy the HD-DVD version at the same price.

But I hope to become more impressed with BD soon.
Old 05-14-07, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was strong into HD DVD. Then I picked up a PS3 so I could get Saw 3 in HD. I was still heavily into buying HD DVDs only since I thought the cheaper hardware was a huge selling point but then Universal dropped the ball. The only exclusive studio had a batch of piss poor quality control issues that spanned months. I question why I even still buy warner HD DVD's. Universal isn't throwing out any heavy hitters. bahhhhh time to go buy another PS3
Old 05-14-07, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
I've been onboard from Day 1, have an HD D1 that I have never had a single problem with (even Children of Men played flawlessly). I am quite happy with the format. Of course there are movies I want to see that are not available yet, but seeing as how the format is only a year old, I realize that I can't have everything at once.
Old 05-15-07, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was determined to sit out the format war. SD-DVDs look great on my 720p projector at 115".

But I had an online gaming craving and Nintendo isn't stepping up on it yet. So I picked up an xbox360 to fill the online gaming craving.

I had a chance to pick up the 360 HD-DVD drive for $150. Good deal with King Kong and the media remote. I can always sell it off later.

We still only have 3 titles IIRC - V for Vendetta, Kong, Children of Men - plus Planet Earth enroute. We're not double dipping and going from SD-DVD to HD-DVD. I'll make an exception for Eternal Sunshine...someday, when it gets cheaper. I'll get 300 later this year.

As for blu-ray, I'm not buying a PS3, the players are too expensive, and there's not many titles I'm interested in, even double-dipping.

I think the format is pretty cool. For a $150 buy in. Don't like the prices of discs, though, but Blu-ray isn't really any better.