Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Count me in -- Just bought me an HD-A2

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Count me in -- Just bought me an HD-A2

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-07, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats and welcome to the club!

If you enjoy the classics, I'd also recommend Mutiny on the Bounty. The old Panavision stuff looks spectacular.
Old 05-02-07, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

BTW...we just got an e-mail from Netflix today for a free one month trial that we can forward to a friend. I've been using Netflix to get HD-DVD films that I don't want to buy. If you'd like to try it out let me know and I'll forward the e-mail with the link to you.
Old 05-02-07, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nazz...I actually did that last night, appreciate the offer though. I used the one in the store forum.

I have Dreamgirls / Seabuscuit / Black Rain on their way.
Old 05-03-07, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Cool. I've heard some people comment on HD-DVDs arriving slowly but my experience has been good. I get to see many more titles this way and no local rental places are carrying them yet.
Old 05-03-07, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Netflix place is about 45 minutes from me so, getting them quickly is pretty good.
Old 05-03-07, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So, question. What can I expect? Will the DVDS look better than the HD content I already watch on HBO HD / Universal HD and the like? I know the picture is compressed through my cable but, how much difference can I expect?
Old 05-03-07, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My provider is satellite so the difference for me was dramatic on my 65". I think the difference with cable will be very significant as well but that seems to depend upon the quality where you live as to how much. There's also the fact that channels like HBO HD crop the film and you'll now have uncompressed HD in the original aspect ratio. It's not only the picture that's better either. The sound is better with Dolby Digital Plus and amazing when the disc offers the uncompressed True HD audio. Seabiscuit has had great reviews for the picture quality so that'll be a good test. My choice to demo my system for people has been King Kong.
Old 05-03-07, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

nazz, much appreciated! Just wanted a quick rundown and you told me what I needed to hear. Thanks!

My cable is comcast btw.
Old 05-03-07, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay, so it is all hooked up. The seller actually included Miami Vice with it which was a nice surprise even though I didn't care much for the movie but will gladly take it. I did even watch a bit of the movie yet. If the movies are as good as just the intro of the Universal logo, then I am more than impressed. Just seeing that made my jaw drop.

Probably the best $200.00 I ever sent on an electronics item.

Toshiba A2!

Edit: Apparently the reason I thought it looks so good was because I hadn't changed the settings for the brightness and what not. After I made a quick change, I did see a difference. Things were definitely more clear and overall and better picture. I am sure as I continue to watch films that I have seen before that may not have been great, I will notice a bigger difference.

Last edited by Bill Geiger; 05-04-07 at 06:46 AM.
Old 05-06-07, 12:08 PM

Just got my 42" Plasma, and was wondering if going hd-dvd right now is a smart play. I've told myself to wait out the format war, but an end doesn't seem in sight, or a definite possibility. I dont want to end up with something worthless in a few years. Also, something that would make the purchase easier would be the 'free dvds' deal offered with a new player. I looked on the forum but couldn't find the thread, does anyone have any further info on it. FYI, I would be looking to get the hd-a2 for $325 from amazon.

If this is too much of a hijack, please let me know and ill delete. thanks.
Old 05-06-07, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No way a hijack!

Here is a link to the 5 free dvds.

http://www.thelookandsoundofperfect....fer_advert.pdf
Old 05-06-07, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by jigga6286
I've told myself to wait out the format war, but an end doesn't seem in sight, or a definite possibility. I dont want to end up with something worthless in a few years.
The way I look at it is I have two choices 1) I either bite now, buy one of each player and start my collection or 2) Wait it out. I went with option 1 because, as you said, there is no end in site and if one side does end up winning I won't be stuck with worthless equipment. I will still have a working HD or BD player with a great collection of films to watch on it until something better comes out.