Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Where do your loyalties in the format war lie? Let's level the field on a few things.

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.
View Poll Results: In the following 3 scenarios, which would you pick?
If system PRICE was equal and movie selection remained on pace as it is today, I would buy Blue-ray
32.29%
If system PRICE was equal and movie selection remained on pace as it is today, I would buy HD-DVD
18.75%
If system PRICE was equal and movie selection remained on pace as it is today, I would buy both
15.63%
If MOVIE LIBRARIES were equal and system price remained as it is today, I would buy Blue-ray
12.50%
If MOVIE LIBRARIES were equal and system price remained as it is today, I would buy HD-DVD
41.67%
If MOVIE LIBRARIES were equal and system price remained as it is today, I would buy both
8.33%
If both system PRICE and MOVIE LIBRARIES were equal, I would be IMPARTIAL (1 or the other)
27.08%
If both system PRICE and MOVIE LIBRARIES were equal, I would buy Blue-ray
11.46%
If both system PRICE and MOVIE LIBRARIES were equal, I would buy HD-DVD
35.42%
If both system PRICE and MOVIE LIBRARIES were equal, I would buy both
15.63%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Where do your loyalties in the format war lie? Let's level the field on a few things.

Old 03-28-07, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This format war stinks. On one hand we have a more expensive system with more exclusive titles and on the other we have a more affordable system with a few other exclusive titles but a better price point.

People like to strongly defend their own system and rip apart the other. Is this based on features? Price? Movie selection? Quality A bit of all?

If the playing field was leveled in one way or another, which way would YOU go?

Respond to the poll, and defend your answers.

Last edited by Th0r S1mpson; 03-28-07 at 01:45 PM.
Old 03-28-07, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Good thing this ground has never been covered.
Old 03-28-07, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
Good thing this ground has never been covered.
If there is already a poll of this nature that clearly shows people's thoughts on the matter, the mods can feel free to close this puppy. I haven't been in the HD forum all that often so clearly I could have missed it. I know discussions have happened in countless threads but it's hard to make sense of for someone on the "outside looking in."
Old 03-28-07, 01:48 PM

I didn't vote. I'm waiting for one format or the other to win, at which point I'll get on board.
Old 03-28-07, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

HD DVD only in all 3 scenarios. Under no circumstances would I support Blu-Ray.
Old 03-28-07, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Groucho
I didn't vote. I'm waiting for one format or the other to win, at which point I'll get on board.
For the third question, you might as well assume the format war has ended and you could select from either one.
Old 03-28-07, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
For the third question, you might as well assume the format war has ended and you could select from either one.
I voted "If both system PRICE and MOVIE LIBRARIES were equal, I would be IMPARTIAL (1 or the other)". But I don't think that will happen. One or the other formats is DOOMED, DOOMED I say!
Old 03-28-07, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Maxflier
Oh yeah, this topic won't start a flame war.

Uh huh.
Old 03-28-07, 01:53 PM
Banned by request

I already support both.
Old 03-28-07, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Maxflier

Amen!

Where are the options for those of us who are already owners?
Old 03-28-07, 02:02 PM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Content is the main thing for me, so the first set of questions is really the only one where I'd definitely buy a system (which we did, a PS3). If movie libraries were equal, I could see sitting it out because it would seem less clear which format I think would win.
Old 03-28-07, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

HD-DVD on the first two questions, but impartial on the third.
Old 03-28-07, 02:21 PM

If movie libraries where the same then you would not need both systems. Right? Unless I guess A particular release was better quality on BR as apposed to HD. Even then a few higher quality releases wouldnt warrant having both systems. Maybe I'm just pollcrapping.
Old 03-28-07, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I already support both.
Same here. I just want HD movies and that is why I bought HD DVD on day one. I've added Blu-ray so its a win-win for me at this point. Neither format has every proven a serious advantage over the other so I have no preference.
Old 03-28-07, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder if the OP is showing HIS loyaties by spelling it "Blue-ray" in the questionaire?
Old 03-28-07, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

HD-DVD as it's been consistent since day one.

Most of the films have had most, if not all, of the content that their original DVD counterparts have had. Something Blu-ray hasn't been able to pull off.

Most of the discs out there have been consistent with the video formats being used (VC-1 with few having AVC), unlike Blu-ray where it's a complete clusterfuck.

I can get an HD-DVD add-on for my 360 for $200 and it comes with a free disc. If I wanted to make an investment into Blu-ray, I'm looking at $400+.

HOWEVER, Blu-ray has the better selection of titles at the rate it's going, but a lot of the discs aren't including their DVD bonus features, meaning I would have to keep two discs per title around UNTIL the eventual double-dip once storage space and video codecs are finally decided upon.
Old 03-28-07, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I support both. Really don't "support" one greater than the other but favor Blu-ray for the purely selfish reason that the PS3 outputs better sound than the 360 add on. (In fact, I don't like the add on's sound at all.) I do plan on buying a stand alone HD DVD player within the next few months if the format looks healthy. At that point, I will have no preference at all.

I will say that I do think some in the "HD DVD camp" have a bit of an unhealthy hatred towards Blu-ray that is bordering on obsessive. That gets on my nerves quite a bit sometimes.
Old 03-28-07, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk God

I don't mind going for both, but the BR players are more expensive than I want to spend in a war.
Old 03-28-07, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I wonder if the OP is showing HIS loyaties by spelling it "Blue-ray" in the questionaire?
If you mean my loyalties to brand name spelling ignorance, you may be correct.

I see that it should be Blu-ray. Sorry. But didn't they call it that because of the blue laser any way? I don't see why the misspelling should be taken as a dig.
Old 03-28-07, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
HD-DVD as it's been consistent since day one.

Most of the films have had most, if not all, of the content that their original DVD counterparts have had. Something Blu-ray hasn't been able to pull off.

Most of the discs out there have been consistent with the video formats being used (VC-1 with few having AVC), unlike Blu-ray where it's a complete clusterfuck.

I can get an HD-DVD add-on for my 360 for $200 and it comes with a free disc. If I wanted to make an investment into Blu-ray, I'm looking at $400+.

HOWEVER, Blu-ray has the better selection of titles at the rate it's going, but a lot of the discs aren't including their DVD bonus features, meaning I would have to keep two discs per title around UNTIL the eventual double-dip once storage space and video codecs are finally decided upon.
Perfectly stated.
Old 03-28-07, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am a supporter of both now, but I really would like to see HD-DVD win... They have been more consistent and Ive been most impressed with what they usually put out. I do have to say Im pretty new to BD, but also the arrogance has put me off from them and I would like to see them eat some humble pie a bit.
Old 03-28-07, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
To be fair he also spelled it HD-DVD, not HD DVD.

Based on arrogance, I would like Sony and Fox to lose. That means that if Buena Vista ever changed their mind and added HD DVD to their lineup (as was rumored for CES 2007), I would've gotten into Blu-Ray maybe in 2009 or later.

Now, with HD DVD faltering (compared to Fall 2006), I am considering the reality that I will need to support both formats. I still don't particularly care to help Sony recoup losses from the PS3 and there's not a single Fox title I'd buy.

Everyone else has made mistakes too: Paramount for not releasing enough, WB for wanting to do so many damned combos, Universal and LGF for not being format agnostic.

In the end, it's not about studios, or CE companies, or exclusivity deals, or 1080P or DTS-HD or anything. It's about enjoying movies. So I know, eventually, I will own whatever formats I need to enjoy the movies I want.

If Blu-Ray was cheaper, I would've bought into it (and am waiting for SonyStyle to stock some PS3s).
Old 03-28-07, 10:13 PM

I'd be impartial if prices and catalogues were equal. I'm just not willing to invest that kind of money until I feel reasonably certain my investment won't dry up in just a couple of years. I'd even be willing to pay the higher BluRay prices if I knew that it was the only format.... I want stability. And, being a fairly vigorous consumer of DVDs compared to the average Joe (not compared to the big guns here, I only have approx. 500+) WITH a 42-inch HD-TV set, I think I'm exactly the consumer that the HD format war is hurting most. Somebody who is ready to buy but won't because of the uncertainty.
Old 03-28-07, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm still waiting on the sidelines. Both seem to offer several of the same important features, perhaps an interesting bell and whistle here and there, but I'm not going to dive in while there are still competing formats. Price isn't the issue at this point. Neither are playback issues/bugs or whatever it is. After all, it's still a new format and it will take some time before they work out all the kinks like its standard DVD counterpart. I also can't help but notice some people are defensive about their format of choice because it was the first thing they threw a pile of money in, so they're committed to it and would be understandably angry if the rug were pulled from underneath.

There are other small considerations, like the durability of the disc. By that I mean I hope by now they've somehow managed a way to develop the disc so there aren't any scratches on it when the thing is supposed to brand new. Another would be having all the extra features ported over. Sure I want to upgrade, and double-dipping isn't the issue as much as it is having to hold on to the standard version just for some featurettes. I want to have a streamlined library without having to deal with multiple versions, which I do right now as it is.
Old 03-28-07, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Why does everyone always had an 'e' to Blu-Ray? I understand...like the color...like the cases. If you have any interest in the formats, spell it correctly. Everytime I see it spelled Blue-ray I feel like I just walked into the PS3 forum at GameFaqs where blue-ray is so awesome on my 27" K-Mart TV made in 1993. hdDVD sucks!!!!!!!!111

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.