Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

HDMI cable for 3 bucks? What gives...

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

HDMI cable for 3 bucks? What gives...

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-07, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by XavierMike
Monoprice is definately the way to go.
Old 03-27-07, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do all of these cables have magnets at the ends? It appears the larger gauges cable may not. What's the purpose of the magnets?

Last edited by Jamers; 03-27-07 at 09:58 AM.
Old 03-27-07, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Well I actually e-mailed them once because the cables I ordered were too short. I thought 2 3feet cables would be enough, but they weren't. I asked if I could send them back for the 6feet even though it had been a month and a week, but I never received a response. I figured it wasn't even worth it to try and e-mail them for this.
Old 03-27-07, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Well I actually e-mailed them once because the cables I ordered were too short. I thought 2 3feet cables would be enough, but they weren't. I asked if I could send them back for the 6feet even though it had been a month and a week, but I never received a response. I figured it wasn't even worth it to try and e-mail them for this.
What gauge 3 ft HDMI cable do you have? I'll buy one from you.
Old 03-27-07, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I heard something somewhere about a place that was recommended for cables. Monodice... Monomice...Moboprice... I can't seem to remember.

Old 03-27-07, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

A friend recently bought a TV and was suckered into a deal where they got 40% off of any acessories. So he bought the $129 Monster Cable HDMI. When he told me about the "great deal" I just laughed.

I have had good luck with eHDMI.com for cheap cables of all types.
Old 03-27-07, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Sorry I had bought Component, not HDMI.
Old 03-27-07, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jamers
Do all of these cables have magnets at the ends? It appears the larger gauges cable may not. What's the purpose of the magnets?
Mine do not have "ferrite cores". But I do have a USB camera cable that has them on it (and they are routinely found on computer monitor cables). I always assumed that the purpose of them is to prevent static discharge through the cable. But in looking into it, I find that they are intended to prevent RFI (Radio Frequency Interference), also called EMI (ElectroMagnetic Interference). I can understand why something to prevent RFI would be used on analog devices, but they seem superfluous on a digital cable unless the interference was strong enough to disrupt the accurate transmission of the bits.

Last edited by lizard; 03-27-07 at 02:05 PM.
Old 03-29-07, 12:39 PM

I bought a HDMI cable in 2005 from BlueJeansCable and it worked great. Whats funny is that me and a friend bought the same tvs on the same day, he was shopping around, and so was i, and we both settled on the same set. We both had digital cable, and i found out there was a version of the box that supported hdmi, you had to request it though. So, i get the box and i order the cable from BlueJeans, my friend gets the box and runs out to radioshack or circuit city and buys a $180 monster hdmi cable. I get my cable for $10. So when talking about it, he swears that the $10 cable CANNOT look as good as the $180 cable, even though its a digital format, it either gets through it or it doesnt. So i bring my cable over to his house, and he SWEARS he can tell the difference between the two cables. So, i set up a test, i put my cable in first, and say, ok this is my cable.....and now this is yours, and of course he says his looks MUCH SHARPER AND MORE DETAILED. So, im like ok, now im gonna do a blind test, turn around. I put my cable in and say, ok dont say which one this is, wait until im done. I tell him to turn around again...i pretend to switch the cables..ask him to look at the picture. Ok which was which? He claims the second one was obviously his because the picture is much more detailed than the first time. I just laugh and say, yeah your right, and laugh because i know he got fooled, but he doesnt and blew an extra $170 on his cable.
Old 03-29-07, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've spent like $150 on cables and other stuff from monoprice.

Never had a problem. 60 ft component cables - perfect! 12 ft HDMI- great! Optical cables - snap in nice and tightly, well designed.
Old 03-29-07, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Shit!! I just ordered 2 HDMI cables today, and forgot I need an optical cable too, and it shipped out already.

Now I need to pay $6 for shipping, twice!