HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Happy Feet on HDDVD and BD

Old 03-23-07, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Happy Feet on HDDVD and BD

Best Buy is listing it this way:

$34.99 - HDDVD
$29.99 - BD

Wasn't it the HDDVD camp that stated they had an advantage in price because their software would cost less than BD?

This is getting out of control. I never did like the Combo Format disc idea mainly because of the increase in price. Next, here comes Total HD.

It's really disconcerting as a supporter for HDDVD.
Old 03-23-07, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk God

Yes it is. Fortunately, this is a movie I probably don't care to see in HD.
Old 03-23-07, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The big difference between these versions is the HD DVD gets a TrueHD track while the BD only gets DD 5.1. Warners continues to shaft their BD releases in terms of audio. Only The Departed had a PCM Uncompressed track.

High-def Digest gave the HD DVD 5 stars for both Audio and Video. Sounds like a great disc. And according to Speedy's ads, Target will have the Blu-ray version on sale for $24.99.
Old 03-23-07, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It was only $25 for me at Amazon so I have no issues getting the HD DVD.
After the sticker shock of bare bones Blu-ray movies from Fox the combo discs no longer bother me.

Last edited by darkside; 03-23-07 at 10:53 AM.
Old 03-23-07, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
The big difference between these versions is the HD DVD gets a TrueHD track while the BD only gets DD 5.1. Warners continues to shaft their BD releases in terms of audio. Only The Departed had a PCM Uncompressed track...
Why don't they use a TrueHD track? I thought the BD specifications supported TrueHD as well as DTS-HD MA.

Last edited by lizard; 03-23-07 at 12:08 PM.
Old 03-23-07, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by darkside
It was only $25 for me at Amazon so I have no issues getting the HD DVD.
After the sticker shock of bare bones Blu-ray movies from Fox the combo discs no longer bother me.
After those reviews, I preordered the hd-dvd from amazon....looks like a good disc....if I dont like the movie, ill ebay it.
Old 03-23-07, 01:38 PM

I like the idea of combos on new releases, I think Warner and Universal are doing the right thing. It greatly increases flexibility of where and when you can watch the movie (I tend to bring over or loan new releases to my parents house).

Picked up Departed and Happy Feet on HD-DVD because of this, worth the extra $3 or whatever the difference in price is.
Old 03-25-07, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I dont think it looked as good as some of the other animated ones I've seen but the sound was crazy, this was the hd-dvd fyi. Liked the thing with steve irwin scene on the disk. Prince video(not in hd and crappy 2.0 audio). Just let down some after seeing The Wild and hmm something else I forget, its late.