HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

DVD vs. Hd DVD(Xbox 360 add on)

Old 03-15-07, 05:52 PM

DVD vs. Hd DVD(Xbox 360 add on)

Hi I was just wondering what your opinions were on HD DVD. I'm thinking buying the HD DVD add-on for the Xbox 360 from a friend because he has a PS3 and blue ray. Is the picture and resolution that much better than a standard dvd. I have seen his on his TV and i thought it looked good but not worth how expensive the HD DVD's are. My TV only goes up to 1080i so do you think it is even worth the extra cash?
Old 03-15-07, 06:24 PM

I'd say yes! I love mine. I have a 1080i rear projection monitor 53" and HD DVD and SD DVDs look amazing over the XBOX add-on drive and I'm using the component output and I'm using the optical output for audio which I think sounds pretty good. I think my setup is upconverting the SD DVDs (not sure if its my TV or the drive itself). I use the add-on to watch all my movies now. But actually I haven't watched many SD DVDs since getting the drive anyway.

Last edited by Sir Talos; 03-15-07 at 06:27 PM.
Old 03-15-07, 06:48 PM

That's another question I had. I'm using everything basic that came with the 360. If i get different cables and such will i get a better picture and audio sound?
Old 03-15-07, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by toxie321
That's another question I had. I'm using everything basic that came with the 360. If i get different cables and such will i get a better picture and audio sound?

You can only output 1080p with the VGA cable. The standards Component cables that came with the system will output 1080p for games and up to 1080i for HD-DVDs. To output surround sound you need to purchase an optical audio cable which you plug in the standard component cables that came with the system and run it to a compatible receiver.
Old 03-15-07, 07:30 PM

Alright thanks a lot guys. I'm watching King Kong on here and comparing it to regular DVD and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna buy it from my friend. What are some other good-looking HD-DVD's and do they go on sale often?
Old 03-15-07, 07:38 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by waylonsmithers
You can only output 1080p with the VGA cable. The standards Component cables that came with the system will output 1080p for games and up to 1080i for HD-DVDs.
Assuming your source will allow 1080p input, your statement is incorrect.

1080p CAN be output via component with the 360 HD-DVD drive. Sure, a lot of older televisions don't accept 1080p over component (nor many newer ones), but that is a limitation of the television and not the 360 HD-DVD drive.
Old 03-15-07, 07:52 PM

My TV only goes to 1080i so its not that big a deal for me. Does the HD drive upconvert regular dvd's?
Old 03-16-07, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by toxie321
My TV only goes to 1080i so its not that big a deal for me. Does the HD drive upconvert regular dvd's?
I could be wrong, but I don't think it will upconvert SD-DVD's over the component cables. I still think you need the VGA connection to convert to 1080i.

Are you hooking this unit up to a surround sound system ?? If so, you may want to test it out before hand. The DD+ to DD conversion is pretty weak. In most cases the SD-DVD sounds better (IMO). MS has promised a fix for the last 4-5 monthes, but I don't think a concrete date is in hand.

I have the add-on and I think it's a decent product given the price, but if I had my time back I would have sit out of the 'format war' a little longer. Because of the sound issues and lack of releases, my add-on has basically been a paper weight for the past few monthes.
Old 03-16-07, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JHosk
I could be wrong, but I don't think it will upconvert SD-DVD's over the component cables. I still think you need the VGA connection to convert to 1080i.
That is correct.
Old 03-16-07, 07:58 AM
Suspended

Just FYI, you don't need the add-on to upscale standard DVDs if you have the VGA cable. The 360 will upscale them.
Old 03-22-07, 07:28 PM
Cool New Member

Hell yes its worth it (if you didn't buy it already).

A paltry $200 to join the HD revolution with a remote and King Kong HD DVD?

You're crazy to not buy it imo if you already own a 360.