HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

why does a blu-ray player have a fan?

Old 03-11-07, 03:29 PM

I have posed this question to anyone who can help me with this. I have a phillips blu-ray player, but at a loss of why it needs a fan. I know pcs have one, and dvd recorders that are standalone, but why does a blu-ray player have or need one? is it because of the hardware in the player, the laser heat to read blu-rays ? any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-11-07, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by avrilfan
sony hired him?
Old 03-11-07, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It gets hot. I'm actually shocked you did not put 'bluE-ray'.
Old 03-11-07, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by avrilfan
I have posed this question to anyone who can help me with this. I have a phillips blu-ray player, but at a loss of why it needs a fan. I know pcs have one, and dvd recorders that are standalone, but why does a blu-ray player have or need one? is it because of the hardware in the player, the laser heat to read blu-rays ? any help would be greatly appreciated.
a modern computer runs at full load to decode a hd video. some people with dual core systems can't even run the video smoothly. in other words the processing is very demanding.

in the future the power needed to decode hd video will seem paltry as decoding standard dvd is today. i expect then there will be dedicated chips that can run with passive cooling
Old 03-11-07, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by her34
sony hired him?
Who are you, Jay Leno?
Old 03-11-07, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The laser does not get anything hot. It is the processor that puts out serious heat, as mentioned above.
Old 03-11-07, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by her34
sony hired him?
Old 03-11-07, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

All the BD & HD-DVD players out have fans for the processor. As far as DVD recorders go, the fans are pretty much for models with hard drives built-in to remove the heat generated by that.
Old 03-11-07, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by matome
All the BD & HD-DVD players out have fans for the processor. As far as DVD recorders go, the fans are pretty much for models with hard drives built-in to remove the heat generated by that.

Thanks for all questions, I really appreciate people who can be of help. there are a lot of people out there with knowledge that can help others. again thanks for the advice.