HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

So... as a new HD DVD owner...

Old 02-20-07, 01:41 PM
Suspended

So... as a new HD DVD owner...

How are you going about getting discs? I went through my collection last night and pulled everything that's also on HD DVD, but am weary to start selling them off in exchange for the HD DVD versions for fear that the format isn't going to take off. Of course my concern keeps me from making HD DVD purchases, which doesn't help the format either. As of now I'm just planning on renting HD DVD titles from Netflix.

What are you guys doing? Did you invest in the format fully, future be damned? Or are you cautious like me?
Old 02-20-07, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I am not replacing any of my SDDVD titles with BD right now for a few reasons...

1- A good SD transfer is still pretty darn good
2- If BD loses then I am screwed both ways
3- Not worth the money for the upgrade, to me

I do buy any new purchases in BD IF there are enough extras on it compared to SD. I bought The Departed on BD even without the Scorcese documentary but came close to buying the SD version just for that.

Almost all of my new purchases with be BD under these circumstances.
Old 02-20-07, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Once you buy the hardware, if you find a title you like for a price you're willing to pay, you might as well get it. It'll always work. If you buy stuff thinking of resale value, then that might add a little more caution. If demand drops, you'll likely have a harder time reselling them. And if watching them in more than one place is an issue, that's another reason to hold off (or buy combo disks) . I have sold off some SDVDs that I upgraded, but I'm also trying to purge my collection anyway, esp. of the lowcost/low interest titles.
I personally have slowed down, I've only bought 6 HDDVDs, two being SDVD upgrades, and I resold one of those HDDVDs for a slight profit; but my regular SDVD purchasing has slowed down a lot as well, and there are four reasons for that:
* rental from BBO/NF/GNF;
* content--not any "must have" titles for me yet;
* backlog - have a huge backlog of unwatched dvds/hddvds;
* I have only been buying stuff that I can get for a really good price. For the most part my last purchases have been exceedingly good SDVD price drops/deals.

I do have almost 100$ credit at DVDPlanet, so I'm sure I'll get a few HDDVDs from them, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet.
Old 02-20-07, 01:53 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by dtcarson
Once you buy the hardware, if you find a title you like for a price you're willing to pay, you might as well get it. It'll always work.
Well that's my concern though. Say HD DVD folds in one year and my player dies in two. Then I'm stuck with discs that I can never watch again.
Old 02-20-07, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Case by case. If the HD DVD is a significant upgrade I will replace the DVD. I have run across many though like The Sting, Spartacus and The Deer Hunter where I did not feel the quality was worth the hassle of upgrading.

I have no fear of the format failing though. I doubt HD DVD compatible players will just vanish from the planet anytime soon.
Old 02-20-07, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I buy whatever is available that interests me, even if it is a double dip. Fear of format failure is not an issue with me. As others have said, it's not like the discs will stop working. I don't bother getting rid of the SD version once i double dip something on HD DVD, mainly because I just can't be assed to bother with the hassle of trading it/ selling it.
Old 02-20-07, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've changed my stance over the months. I am now keeping dvd titles that I buy in HD DVD, just in case something happens. If HD DVD does lose, I can't imagine Toshiba continuing to pump out players. Who's gonna fix it if it croaks? My title purchasing has slowed tremendously. I'm more likely to buy if it's a Universal title. Once they actually release some more movies I like, I'll probably increase my buying.
Old 02-20-07, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm in the process of getting rid of all the SD i have in my collection, to replace with HD.

My SD collection had really peaked, and I was only getting new stuff lately. But with HD I feel like I have something new to collect.

Format war doesn't bother me either. The disc wont explode if Blu ray wins. And if / when that happens, SD will be even cheaper, and I can buy everything back at a local pawn shop on the cheap, if I wanted.
Old 02-20-07, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So far I have only bought a few HD DVD titles that I really want and don't already have on SD DVD. Anything else I just put in my Netflix/Blockbuster queue. I have the 360 add on, so I figure I'm getting my HD fix without getting in over my head.
Old 02-20-07, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
Well that's my concern though. Say HD DVD folds in one year and my player dies in two. Then I'm stuck with discs that I can never watch again.
You aren't doing any harm to yourself by keeping your dvds, a format that isn't going away anytime soon.
Old 02-20-07, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Like others have said case by case basis... Lucky in the fact that my recent purchases have been first time buys on any medium. Ill buy what piques my interest and let whatever happens, happen.
Old 02-20-07, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I really think HD DVD players will be around for a long time. I would expect companies like Denon to follow LGs lead and release more and more dual players as costs for doing this drop.
Old 02-20-07, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I gave all my DVDs that I had converted to HD DVD to the local library. Tax write-off for me, bonus for them, it's all good.

There's no way you won't be able to find HD DVD players in two years.
Old 02-21-07, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I basically put together a spreadsheet aggregating the reviews from around the web and also used AVS's tier listing of HD DVD quality to figure out which SD I wanted to replace with HD. There weren't many, but the few that I did replace, I sold at work for $5 a disc

Right now though, I'm sticking with HD DVD, and have bought a few SD's that aren't on HD and won't be on HD (e.g. The Prestige yesterday). I have thought about buying them as BD so I can get a BD player in the future, but that kind of ruins the point of buying them since I can't watch them. It's just so hard with the two formats to figure which way to go if it's on on HD.
Old 02-21-07, 12:46 PM

I have over 150 HD DVDs and have sold off standard copies of all of my HD movies. The only standard copies I've kept are the ones with special features not on the HD DVD (like King Kong) or releases that included something extra (3 disc Million Dollar Baby and 2 disc Batman Begins w/comic). I figure what's the point? If HD DVD wins then I'm fine. If Blu-ray wins then I'll have to buy them in BD eventually so what do I need the standard copy for? If neither wins and it turns into SACD/DVD-A (which I'm afraid will happen on the current course we're on) then I'll still be ok.

This all leads to another reason why I don't have a BD player right now. The majority of BDs are minus special features that are included on the standard dvds therefore I wouldn't be able to replace them.

Just my logic.
Old 02-21-07, 07:26 PM

That's why I kind of like the combo discs. Even though most people hate them, it does give me a little piece of mind that I can at worst I can still play the DVD side upconverted. I have blu-ray too, but what if HD formats become the next laser disc, then I'll still be ok.
Old 02-21-07, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I like the idea of the combo disk, and being able to lend it or bring it to people who don't have an HDDVD player, and you're right, at least that way you can still use "something" if HD players break and there are no replacements. I just think they're priced too high to be really attractive, for the most part.
Old 02-21-07, 08:19 PM
Cool New Member

Full steam ahead here. I sell any SD versions that I have replaced in HD DVD. I have no concerns about either HD format dying off.
Old 02-28-07, 12:59 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I'm relatively lucky that I'm a pack-rat, when it comes down to this issue. I buy a lot of DVDs, but I leave a lot of them unopened until I actually decide to watch them. So, since a lot of the DVDs I own that are available in either HD-DVD or Blu-ray (I have both,) were unopened because I hadn't gotten around to watching them yet, I've just been taking them back to Future Shop. They usually just give me store credit, but I use that to upgrade to the HD versions of the movies. Additionally, I've also been taking back unopened DVDs that I don't want, in order to buy HD-DVDs and BD.
Old 02-28-07, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I would add I just bought 12 of those Warner 2 discs sets at Best Buy for $5 each. Great because I get to enjoy the movies now and if I want to replace them with an HD DVD version down the road it will be easy to make back that $5 cost. If anything DVDs being so cheap now (there seem to be $5 DVD sales weekly) will make buying HD DVDs down the road a lot less painful.
Old 02-28-07, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by darkside
I would add I just bought 12 of those Warner 2 discs sets at Best Buy for $5 each. Great because I get to enjoy the movies now and if I want to replace them with an HD DVD version down the road it will be easy to make back that $5 cost. If anything DVDs being so cheap now (there seem to be $5 DVD sales weekly) will make buying HD DVDs down the road a lot less painful.
I got in on that deal as well and also picked up 12 movies. Bullitt was one of them. I know the HD DVD just came out, but for now, I'd rather own it for $5 instead of $20.
Old 03-21-07, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I haven't been an HD-DVD owner for more than 24 hours yet, but I already have an idea how I'll approach this.

Since I already have a very established DVD collection (as many of you), I decided not to re-buy anything I own. I think the only exception I will be making is getting Serenity on HD, because I love the movie.

Today I picked up MI:3, Batman Begins and V For Vendetta, all of which I do not own standard DVD versions of. I also have tried to get movies that I believe would benefit from having a higher picture resolution.
Old 03-21-07, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by asianxcore
I haven't been an HD-DVD owner for more than 24 hours yet, but I already have an idea how I'll approach this.

Since I already have a very established DVD collection (as many of you), I decided not to re-buy anything I own. I think the only exception I will be making is getting Serenity on HD, because I love the movie.

Today I picked up MI:3, Batman Begins and V For Vendetta, all of which I do not own standard DVD versions of. I also have tried to get movies that I believe would benefit from having a higher picture resolution.
I follow that approach for the most part, though I have upgraded several because I got a pretty good deal and was able to offload the DVD at a reasonable rate.
Old 03-21-07, 12:14 AM

Yeah, I do the same. The only HD-DVDs I own are films I didn't already have in SD. As much as I'd love to upgrade some of them (Backdraft, an import of T2, for example), I just can't justify eventually having to potentially rebuy them again on Blu-Ray (or whatever HD format) should HD-DVD go the way of the laserdisc.
Old 03-21-07, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Owing the PS3 makes it easy for me. At the moment I don't plan to buy HD-DVD format but am buying the Blu-Ray. This is more out of curiosity than anything else, but I KNOW I will keep the PS3 for a LOOONG time so I'm not worried about the format going obsolete. (If it does, I can still watch them). I actually started by choosing some titles from the rebate form inside the PS3, and I'll probably replace a few (but not many) on HD. (For example, if some of my favorites come out like Matrix, I'll be sure to get those).

Going forward I expect to buy fewer SD and also fewer HD until the HD come down in price. I'll be annoyed if I buy SD knowing HD is available, but I'm still not THAT willing to pay the premium...

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.