Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Digital Bits sides with Blu-Ray

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Digital Bits sides with Blu-Ray

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-07, 06:53 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Both sites are being moronic. I can't believe AICN is still active, I thought Harry would have eaten himself by now.
Old 06-05-07, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Z
Whether people are prepared to accept it or not, the DVD/HD DVD combo discs will wind up being a huge factor in this format war. The moment that production levels and expenses reach the point that a studio like Universal can start exclusively releasing combo discs without separate DVD-only editions at a price point that average DVD buyers are comfortable with, the war is going to tilt heavily in HD DVD's favor. This will be HD DVD's "Trojan horse", much as the PS3 is meant to be for Blu-ray.

Suddenly, millions of consumers will have HD DVD discs in their hands. The ones who own HDTVs are going to jones for the ability to watch the HD side of the discs, and with HD DVD players also reasonably priced we'll see hardware sales shoot upwards. At some pont after that, hardware manufacturers can phase out their standard DVD players in favor of HD DVD units that are already backwards compatible with existing DVD discs, and eventually even the need to continue supporting the DVD side of combo discs will fade away. It will take years, no doubt, but in this scenario HD DVD could very well take over as the de facto video standard.
I'd agree with you Josh, but until companies stop producing SD-only discs this won't happen. Most likely, consumers will be stuck with a huge stack of SD DVDs and will be looking toward the leading HD format to upgrade their old library.

I think once this happens, and companies find out a way to lower costs on combo releases, then what you say could very well become true.
Old 06-05-07, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally Posted by El Kabong
The only reason he may have come off as anti-HD-DVD
Oh, this well precedes AICN's article. Bill Hunt has every right to be opposed to HD DVD, but let's be realistic.

Digital Bits was respnding to that article by giving actual data.
...and flawed interpretations of that data.

And add no Disney to HD. How many families do you think will pick HD?
Not many, but I don't think most families will pick Blu-ray either. I don't see either format ever coming close to where DVD is today. Heck, or even where DVD was 6 or 7 years ago.

but don't be mad that the one you picked isn't looking so great.
Neither side's looking so great.

And the idiot who said combos may help HD win
You know the rule about personal attacks.
Old 06-05-07, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did anyone read the origianl article yesterday? The only reason he may have come off as anti-HD-DVD is because the article wa a response to Harry Knowles at Ain't It Cool News. He wrote an article saying how much better HD-DVD was & used facts that were completely wrong- saying HD had over 200 releases & BD only 60, that only HD players could play dvds & upconvert & many other completely wrong information that he was stating as fact. Digital Bits was respnding to that article by giving actual data.
I had the 360 add-on first & got the A2 now, so I've already had 2 HD-DVD players & obviously like them, but I still only buy Universal on HD & everything else on BD. And as great as Universal's back catalog is, their new movies aren't that great. And while their catalog might be great, it's not exactly great HD demo material- yeah let me throw in Smokey & The Bandit to show you some great HD. Most of them look marginally better than the dvds. And people who say that HD has the best picture, take a look at the Pirates BD reviews. Every site says they're the best HD pictures anywhere on any format.
And no matter how mad you BD haters may be, what do you think will happen when Spiderman, Star Wars, James Bond, etc. come out exclusively on BD. And with Spielberg's track record, his movies won't be out until the war is over, so will be of no use to help HD. And add no Disney to HD. How many families do you think will pick HD? be mad at the 2 groups for starting this whole situation, but don't be mad that the one you picked isn't looking so great.
And the idiot who said combos may help HD win, I just got my email from Universal to send back the 2 defective combos I have (Good Shepherd & children Of Men) & they've been cancelling many of their combos because of this problem. Not to mention they're $10 more. So yeah, they're great.
What's with all the anger? If you hate HD DVD so much, get rid of your player. I can't fathom why some take this format war so personally. You sound like someone just slapped your mother in the face.
Old 06-05-07, 07:12 PM
Banned by request

You didn't hear? Universal's faulty combo discs have been seen slapping people's mothers in the face.
Old 06-05-07, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't hate HD-DVD, just like the Bits, I think logically (did I mention my IQ is 174, so my logic is pretty good) BD will win, so that means I hate HD? I have over 60 HDs & 115 BDs. As long as Fear & Loathing, Lebowski, Dune, etc. are HD-only, I'm there. I just wish I didn't have to have 2 seperate setups. And yes the combos do anger me, well paying $60 for faulty discs does. Universal probably has most of my favorites, but these are older movies that aren't great in HD. When my friend was over checking out my collection, he wasn't very impressed that most of the movies were older, already 3 dvd version movies you wouldn't really need to see in HD. I love Fast Times, but that's one of the worst HD pictures around.
Old 06-05-07, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not every BD transfer is flawless either. And, there are plenty of "old" movies that look very good in HD. The Thing anyone? It's miles above the dvd.
Old 06-05-07, 07:47 PM
Banned by request

I don't hate HD-DVD, just like the Bits, I think logically (did I mention my IQ is 174, so my logic is pretty good) BD will win
I hate to tell you, but your IQ isn't going to help you determine which format will win. If it were as simple as a math equation, HD would never even have been produced.
Old 06-05-07, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
The AICN article only gave Bill Hunt another chance to sing the praises of Blu-Ray again. Even when he/they were professing neutrality, they were practicing that that FOX New "fair and balanced" thing for Blu-Ray.
Old 06-05-07, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

See, I mention a bad HD transfer & right away someone has to say "yeah BD has bad transfers too". I'm just saying that the only HD-exclusive comapny is releasing mostly 80s-90s comedies which just aren't super HD no matter what you say. Yes, The Thing looks much better than the dvd (I never noticed Wilford Brimley's piercing before), but it's not like a new movie. Mutiny On The Bounty, Casablanca, Enter The Dragon & Willy Wonka all look really great. These movies are much older than the Universal releases & look much better, and are made by WB, who's releasing them on BD also. Most of Universal's releases have been on Universal HD (tv) months ago & may not have been optimized for the new HD formats, but just converted on-the-quick to show on Universal HD & for dvd re-releass. Of course this doesn't stop me from buying them. Last week I got Midnight Run, Dragonheart & Frighteners & I have a bunch ordered next week (Liar, Liar, Daylight, Monty Python, Sneakers, Born On The 4th, etc.) So saying I'm anti-HD when I probably have more HD-DVDs than most people on here is ridiculous. But do any of those HD-DVD exclusives sound even close to demo material? For me, I'll always take the best picture & sound, but would most people see a need to have Breakfast Club in HD?
Old 06-05-07, 08:15 PM
Banned by request

Considering King Kong, The Hulk, and Jet Li's Fearless are considered some of the best HD transfers around, I don't see what you're griping about. Universal is putting out a wide variety of movies that appeal to all different kinds of people. Just because they put out 80's comedies doesn't mean HD DVD is going to lose. That doesn't even make sense.

And I'm not here to bash BD, either. I love my Blu-ray discs, just like I love my HD DVDs. My point is why even bother arguing about it? And why, for god's sake, if you own a website, would you back one or the other this early in the game? The only thing I could think of is that the site is getting kickbacks, which wouldn't surprise me with AICN. And at this point, considering how Bill has bent over backwards to make sure HD DVD gets no good press, I wouldn't be surprised if he's getting some kind of compensation as well. But why you or anyone else on this board should be vehement about somebody winning, especially when you already own both formats, seems ridiculous to me.
Old 06-05-07, 08:40 PM
Banned

See, I mention a bad HD transfer & right away someone has to say "yeah BD has bad transfers too". I'm just saying that the only HD-exclusive comapny is releasing mostly 80s-90s comedies which just aren't super HD no matter what you say. Yes, The Thing looks much better than the dvd (I never noticed Wilford Brimley's piercing before), but it's not like a new movie. Mutiny On The Bounty, Casablanca, Enter The Dragon & Willy Wonka all look really great. These movies are much older than the Universal releases & look much better, and are made by WB, who's releasing them on BD also. Most of Universal's releases have been on Universal HD (tv) months ago & may not have been optimized for the new HD formats, but just converted on-the-quick to show on Universal HD & for dvd re-releass. Of course this doesn't stop me from buying them. Last week I got Midnight Run, Dragonheart & Frighteners & I have a bunch ordered next week (Liar, Liar, Daylight, Monty Python, Sneakers, Born On The 4th, etc.) So saying I'm anti-HD when I probably have more HD-DVDs than most people on here is ridiculous. But do any of those HD-DVD exclusives sound even close to demo material? For me, I'll always take the best picture & sound, but would most people see a need to have Breakfast Club in HD?
IQ of 174 right there.
Old 06-05-07, 09:36 PM
Suspended

I agree 100%. All of universals big guns have been shot, and chances of Spielberg are slim to none (more like none tho). HD-DVD is losing week after week for months in a row. Its like buying into hd-dvd now is buying into BETA back when. I dont see a single thing that could save hd-dvd at this point, regardless of price. There are LOTS of universal movies i want, but not enough for me to purchase a format and discs that will one day be going for 99 cents on ebay. No thanks. I will just wait. At the sales rate things are going, HD-DVD Players will be less then 199 by the end of the year. How many other companys are jumping ontop of each other to compete for those profitless sales? None. I just don't like the way hd-dvd is throwing everything but the kitchen sink at the consumer and hoping for the best. Its business as usual for blu-ray and they've yet to lose a week in sales since they took over. Sad to see it all happen like this.

I think HD-DVD is a very viable format and some great discs have been released on it, but the way they are handling things stinks of desperation, imho.
Old 06-05-07, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by QuePaso
All of universals big guns have been shot...
All partisanship aside, this claims the title for the wrongest thing said in this thread. By a long shot.
Old 06-05-07, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by The Third Jake
All partisanship aside, this claims the title for the wrongest thing said in this thread. By a long shot.
Yep, HD-dvd is doing a damn fine job with their product. They have slowly been adding CE support as well.
Old 06-05-07, 10:44 PM
Banned

I think Universal has been doing a fantastic job releasing catalog titles. I just need Mulholland Drive, now. Please.
Old 06-05-07, 10:45 PM
Banned

Did I mention my IQ was 175 so my opinion is more valid than someone with an IQ of 174
Old 06-05-07, 10:54 PM
Banned by request

Old 06-05-07, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by QuePaso
I agree 100%. All of universals big guns have been shot, and chances of Spielberg are slim to none (more like none tho). HD-DVD is losing week after week for months in a row. Its like buying into hd-dvd now is buying into BETA back when. I dont see a single thing that could save hd-dvd at this point, regardless of price. There are LOTS of universal movies i want, but not enough for me to purchase a format and discs that will one day be going for 99 cents on ebay. No thanks. I will just wait. At the sales rate things are going, HD-DVD Players will be less then 199 by the end of the year. How many other companys are jumping ontop of each other to compete for those profitless sales? None. I just don't like the way hd-dvd is throwing everything but the kitchen sink at the consumer and hoping for the best. Its business as usual for blu-ray and they've yet to lose a week in sales since they took over. Sad to see it all happen like this.

I think HD-DVD is a very viable format and some great discs have been released on it, but the way they are handling things stinks of desperation, imho.
All very well said, although Universal still has plenty of titles to release. I agree with you that one studio is not worth owning an entire format for no matter how cheap the players are, and that's all HD DVD has to offer me at this point: Universal. Everything else is either already on Blu-ray, or will be by next year.

This is what I seriously don't understand about the hardcore HD DVD supporters. Studio support is so clearly lopsided in Blu-ray's favor, and low HD DVD player prices count for nothing if the format has absolutely no movies from three of the biggest studios.
Old 06-05-07, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Jason One
All very well said, although Universal still has plenty of titles to release. I agree with you that one studio is not worth owning an entire format for no matter how cheap the players are, and that's all HD DVD has to offer me at this point: Universal. Everything else is either already on Blu-ray, or will be by next year.

This is what I seriously don't understand about the hardcore HD DVD supporters. Studio support is so clearly lopsided in Blu-ray's favor, and low HD DVD player prices count for nothing if the format has absolutely no movies from three of the biggest studios.
Yet, they seem to have around the same number of titles available ....
Old 06-05-07, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Jason One
low HD DVD player prices count for nothing if the format has absolutely no movies from three of the biggest studios.
...which is why I have an HD-DVD player and no Blu-ray player?

I am totally pleased with my purchase (and decision to go with HD-DVD on price alone) because the titles I can't get on HD-DVD look pretty darn good upconverted any way.

I'm not spending upwards of $500 for a player. Period.

Yes, I will be happy if Blu-ray players get down in price to the same level as HD-DVD, but movie selection alone will not cause me to go dual format. I would still have neither format if the prices of both players were that high. And if price means something to me, you had better believe it means a lot to the percentage of people needed to turn a format war in one direction or the other... the mainstream.

I forget. Who won the VHS / Beta war? I still have a betamax player in the garage but don't recall purchasing many titles for it.
Old 06-05-07, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

HD DVD has the 3 biggest studios unless my memory is playing tricks on me. Universal probably has slightly less than Sony, FOX and MGM combined. I have both formats, I even ordered a few BD disc today, but you better damn well better believe if Disney and Sony and FOX were not all exclusive i would not have even ever bought a BD. There are ZERO compelling reasons to support BD other than studios.
Old 06-05-07, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sigh, another HD-DVD sucks/Blu-Ray rocks thread...

seriously folks, if you only want to support one and others want to support the other or both, for christs sake, will you stop trying push your selected format on the others? I swear its like a damn Catholics vs. Lutherans convention in here.

EDIT: now that I most likely offended quite a few religious folks maybe the talk will get away from the damn HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray stuff.

Last edited by ChrisHicks; 06-05-07 at 11:42 PM.
Old 06-05-07, 11:47 PM
Banned by request

Jesus, Chris, I'm a Luthero-Catholic-Buddhist-Muslim! Are you just going to sling your lack of respect for my beliefs around this thread like a dead cat? I mean, hell, at first this was just about HD, but now it's personal!
Old 06-05-07, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Jesus, Chris, I'm a Luthero-Catholic-Buddhist-Muslim! Are you just going to sling your lack of respect for my beliefs around this thread like a dead cat? I mean, hell, at first this was just about HD, but now it's personal!

I just want more content on either format. I really don't care anymore about which one will or won't win.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.