HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

3XDVD...here we go again!

Old 02-19-07, 05:48 PM
Banned

3XDVD...here we go again!

While the Blu-ray camp is busy claiming victory, recently HD DVD supporters seem to be circling the wagons around an old friend, the -- 'til now -- unused 3X DVD technology. HD DVD has always claimed it holds a price advantage over Blu-ray, by way of offering low cost upgrades for existing DVD manufacturing processes.

The 3X DVD spec takes that a step further, while it's a part of the HD DVD format and apparently only compatible with HD DVD players, the discs themselves are physically exactly the same as standard red-laser DVDs. Throw in a software upgrade to support high definition content, HD DVD's UDF 2.5 file structure and AACS and you have a way to deliver HDTV content on a 9.4 GB DVD.

By using newer encoding technologies like MPEG-4 and VC-1 and/or lowering the resolution to say, 720p, full length movies easily fit on a standard DVD. Eclipse Data Technologies, a supplier of HD DVD mastering equipment just announced it is offering free upgrades to its customers in order to support 3X DVD manufacturing. This was followed today by DCA Inc. announcing it has mastered the first 3X DVD disc, and that several manufacturers are looking at it as a possible low cost path into HD video.

3X DVD's potential to allow for noticeably lower-priced HD content to come to market is definitely there, but it still remains to be seen if this, like combo DVD/HD DVDs and Total Hi-Def discs will find a home and support in the marketplace.
oy vey.
Old 02-19-07, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Doesn't Blu-ray have like BD-9 (or something like that) that is essentially the same thing?

Also, I'm not a real big fan of the "let's give the studios money to downres our content." It's still 720p, which is fine by me, but it's not something I'd like to see occur often. This is a step backward, if anything.
Old 02-19-07, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Might work for some television content and other more niche stff, but I do not see this as any real benefit for the most part.
Old 02-19-07, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk God

If it were as cheap as current dvds, I would buy them. Especailly the TV stuff.
Old 02-19-07, 08:55 PM
Banned by request

720p? Forget it.
Old 02-19-07, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not interested in this at all, but it does sound like a great option for bootleggers.
Old 02-19-07, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This could be exceptionally beneficial in the form of bonus content such as trailers, mini-games, etc.
Old 02-19-07, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sounds like a good way to get TV shows in HD.

D
Old 02-19-07, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How is it good for TV shows if you're only going to get a couple hours' worth of content? Do we want to put fewer shows on a disc than with DVD? You could fit several hours of 720p video on a dual-layer HD DVD, even more with BD50. I doubt the cheaper media price would translate to significantly lower prices at retail.
Old 02-19-07, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
720p? Forget it.
My feelings exactly. Why take a step backwards?
Old 02-19-07, 11:26 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by cultshock
My feelings exactly. Why take a step backwards?
It's a step backwards to the HD invested people. It's a small step forward for the general population (provided they can deliver on the 'cheap' claim). That is the only reason it is somewhat scary.

And it shows that we are still in one great big cluster fuck.
Old 02-20-07, 01:33 AM
Banned by request

I doubt this will come to much, though. The studios have made their investments with the new formats.
Old 02-21-07, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Drexl
How is it good for TV shows if you're only going to get a couple hours' worth of content? Do we want to put fewer shows on a disc than with DVD? You could fit several hours of 720p video on a dual-layer HD DVD, even more with BD50. I doubt the cheaper media price would translate to significantly lower prices at retail.
Cheaper price AND more discs??? I'm in! And JSP will be too.