Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

I can't go back to regular DVD.

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-07, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And it's only been ONE DAY!! I've watch King Kong (free with the player), Last Samurai, and Phantom of the Opera. King Kong is clearly the tech demo of the bunch. But I just happen to have regular DVD of Samurai. So I paused both the HD and reg DVD at essentially the same place at several "beauty spots" of the DVD. And even though I didn't quite notice a huge difference before (used to watching HDTV), I can see the WOW factor now that I couldn't before.

I can't go back to regular DVDs even though It's been one day. I have lots of DVDs, but now I want to see all of my favorites in high def. I want to see Star Wars, Harry Potter, and Pirates of HD. This is amazing. I feel I'm finally seeing what my TV can really do. And I've had it 1 year!!

YAY for HD DVD!!
Old 01-15-07, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I know I almost have the same problem. I bought my 360 add-on Friday, brought it home and watched some of the tech demo films (Corpse Bride, King Kong and Batman Begins), and didn't think it was all that impressive. The next day, I decided to do a split screen comparision of each one of those with their SD-DVD counterpart and wow the difference is amazing.
Old 01-15-07, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
I had to watch a bit of Superman Returns in SD today, since the HD portion was not playing properly. Stupid Netflix disc. Anyway, the SD was atrocious as compared to the HD stuff.
Old 01-15-07, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by LivingINClip
I know I almost have the same problem. I bought my 360 add-on Friday, brought it home and watched some of the tech demo films (Corpse Bride, King Kong and Batman Begins), and didn't think it was all that impressive. The next day, I decided to do a split screen comparision of each one of those with their SD-DVD counterpart and wow the difference is amazing.
Yes, and part of it was I think I was sitting at an angle. I sat straight on and saw the light! (damn favorite spot not being optimal for HD viewing).
Old 01-15-07, 08:12 PM
Banned

If you want to see Pirates in HD you better think about spending an extra $500 for a Blu-ray player...
Old 01-15-07, 08:53 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Deftones
I had to watch a bit of Superman Returns in SD today, since the HD portion was not playing properly. Stupid Netflix disc. Anyway, the SD was atrocious as compared to the HD stuff.
I think they purposely made the SD look crappy because the HD is miles above in picture quality.
Old 01-15-07, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
Originally Posted by king slug
If you want to see Pirates in HD you better think about spending an extra $500 for a Blu-ray player...
Or wait for it on one of the pay channels.
Old 01-15-07, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Deftones
Or wait for it on one of the pay channels.
With the bandwidth of DTV, Dish, Comcast, etc., it will look much better on disc than broadcast.
Old 01-15-07, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by king slug
Pirates is HD-DVD exclusive. =)
Old 01-15-07, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally Posted by Obi-Jon Kenobi
Pirates is HD-DVD exclusive. =)
Not the Pirates he was referring to.
Old 01-15-07, 09:50 PM
Cool New Member

I have to agree with the OP. I bought the 360 HD add-on on a whim just to see what the fuss was all about. I swore I'd only buy new releases and never replace any SD discs that I already own.

Wrong.

I've now replaced at least 10 SD discs with their HD counterpart and, to add fuel to the fire, I received a Blu-Ray player for X-Mas.

Now I'm completely hooked.
Old 01-15-07, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yea, same situation, four of five discs I bought was replacement discs and now I am sitting here looking to see what else I want to replace. Not to mention I just bought this and am already trying to convince the wife that we need a friggin' Blu Ray player.

I think they purposely made the SD look crappy because the HD is miles above in picture quality.
All of them look fairly bad, in my humble opinion. The artifical grain that Singer put in really hurts the HD version. Well, I should say the Blu Ray version, as that's all I've had the pleasure of see'ing. Some scenes look great, but the darker scenes with the grain really stand out.

Yes, and part of it was I think I was sitting at an angle. I sat straight on and saw the light! (damn favorite spot not being optimal for HD viewing).
Distance makes a difference also. I was at around 17 feet away from my TV and couldn't notice a big difference. After moving to the 7 feet range, I notice a huge difference.

Still, I think the best comparision is just to sit down and compare the SD > HD . It'll really make you apperciate the upgrade in quality. And if these companies ever want to sell the HD format, they need demo kiosks like that in all the big retail chains.
Old 01-16-07, 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Not the Pirates he was referring to.
Well I DO eventually plan on buying a PS3. Point is I finally feel like I'm truely seing what my $3000 TV can do. And it's wonderful.

I've joined Netflix, something I never thought I'd do before. Just because I want to see all of the movies I've seen before, and other movies I haven't seen, in HD.

I have T3, Waterworld, and Jet Li's Unleashed arriving wednesday, even though I've already seen them all!! haha. And I upgraded to a 4 at a time plan because Superman returns HD just became available and wanted to recieve it before the weekend, as I haven't watched it yet.

Damn HD is good. I hope in a small way my buying the 360 HD DVD and renting lots of HD dvds on netflix helps the high def DVD industry. And I encourage anybody that just happened upon this thread who hasn't dove into HD DVDs yet. If you've got a good TV, give it a try. It's amazing. Your TV isn't showing you the best it's got on HDTV, you need to see HD DVDs or blu-ray on your HDTV!
Old 01-16-07, 03:11 AM

i hear ya, OP. Going back now is a bit harsh. Of course there are still very decent SD discs but so many have EE, been filtered to death or are just plain softer than they should be. Once you get used to something, going back to something lees impressive is almost jarring.