Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

NetCommand TV & PS3 hookup

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 01-08-07, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure if this in the the right forum, but I didn't have any idea where else to go. I hope someone can help or can point me in the right direction.

Here's the situation: We have a 2006 Mitsubishi WD-62725 DLP HD TV and I'm trying to connect a PS3 to it via HDMI. I had thought that this hookup would be a no-brainer. After all it's a HDMI to HDMI connection, and my TV has the NetCommand interface. Just add a device (in this case a game system) to the menu and you're good.

But noooo.

For about 40 mintues I played with NetCommand trying to configure and set up a device that would display the PS3. Nada.

Finally gave up and called Mitsu customer service and waited...and waited...and waited. When I got someone (a young, I presume, Indian lass, I also presume from her slight accent), we had to go thru the whole rigamrole about who I was and what TV I had, etc., etc. Then we spent several minutes going thru exactly the same NetCommand device setups I had done on my own.

No luck this time, either.

After about 30 minutes of this she realizes this isn't working and informed me she would put me on hold to pass me along to their second tier of customer service. And I waited and waited.

After about 15 minutes, I used their automated phone system to leave my phone number for a call back. Supposedly I won't lose my place in the que, but I don't know about that as it's been at least an hour since then.

It could be the PS3. It does work as we had it connected to this TV via the A/V connectors on the front of the TV.

It could be the NetCommand interface doesn't recognize adding a game device via the HDMI connection.

It could be that our TV is not HDCP compliant, although it is a 2006 model we've had since late 2005. I was under the impression that HDMI meant something was HDCP compliant. I'm not sure now because the PS3 manual has a note that the PS3 won't work with non-HDCP compliant devices connected via HDMI. Huh?

So here I am.

Thoughts, suggestions, recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Follow up:

Just to let everyone know, the PS3 is now working via HDMI, thanks to the suggestions from Maniac. As I posted below, I had gotten the same advice from some Home Theater Forums users, so I figured it was the best way to go.

Thanks everyone.

BTW, the PS output looks terrific. No BR discs to try out (yet), but Cars and Chicken Little looked much better thru the PS3 than our regular DVD player. I'm thinking of picking up The Wild, mainly because the extras are hi-def. I noticed this on another Disney BR disc also, although I don't recall which.

Last edited by Jon2; 01-10-07 at 07:00 PM.
Old 01-08-07, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Isn't Netcommand a remote control system that allows your TV remote to control other devices? Perhaps the PS3 that came out after your TV simply can't be controlled by the TV. You should only have to plug in HDMI and manually switch the TV to that input.
Old 01-09-07, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, it is and it isn't. The whole process of assigning devices and setting up the remote to be able to control them is handled under the NetCommand umbrella.

As far as getting your PS3 to work, I know it's possible. I own a 73727, and my PS3 is connected via HDMI. However, I did have to jump through a few hoops to get the HDMI port properly connected to the NetCommand device I created. Not sure if that is what is causing you grief or not.
Old 01-09-07, 02:24 AM

With the PS3, you would need to have both the HDMI and the A/V cables plugged in so you can switch them. You would first use the A/V cables to switch the PS3 to use the HDMI. Once you have it switched, then use your TV and go to the HDMI signal. You should then see it ask you if you want to keep this setting and select Yes. You can then unplug the A/V cables and it will work with HDMI.
Old 01-09-07, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have a friend who said he had to do exactly that in order to get his PS3 to work over HDMI. What's strange is that I didn't have to do anything at all. I just took the PS3 out of the box, connected the HDMI cable (after getting the NetCommand settings ready), and it worked without a hitch.

I wonder if the problem is that once you connect it using the standard AV cable, the console gets "locked" into that mode and must be manually switched to HDMI?
Old 01-09-07, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Many thanks for the suggestions. I'll try them.

FWIW, I also posted about my plight over at the Home Theater Forum. For some reason I had to reregister (even though I had already registered some years ago) and it took a while before I could actually post. Only one person replied to that and it was the same things suggested here.

Thanks again.
Old 12-27-09, 09:24 AM

Re: NetCommand TV & PS3 hookup

I see this thread is a few years old now - hope it is still active.

I have this Mitsi WD62725 set also and I'm trying to get a ps3 to work with it.
Netcommand has always frustrated me which I guess is common to a lot of folks over the years.
In my case, I cannot understand why just unplugging the HDMI cable from the back of my Samsung DVD player, and plugging it into the PS3, (which was already working in another room with a HDMI hookup) fails to work !

I even tried deleting the Samsung completely and setting up the PS3 with the HDMI ("monlink" in Mitsi terminology ??). NO GO !!

These newer "plug and play" TV sets rule !

Kiwi.
Old 12-28-09, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: NetCommand TV & PS3 hookup

Originally Posted by Kiwiaudio View Post
I see this thread is a few years old now - hope it is still active.
Since it appears to still be active, welcome to the club!

I have this Mitsi WD62725 set also and I'm trying to get a ps3 to work with it.
Mine has been a good set as far as picture and sound are concerned, but when it has problems they are hair pullers. Usually mine are software related. It won't keep channels I've programmed (it keeps adding back stations I've deleted) and it has a tendency to turn itself off if the sound is muted for too long. WTH???

It will also refuse to start up at random times, which requires unplugging from the outlet and plugging it back in. When it restarts is usually when it adds back deleted channels. But not always.

Netcommand has always frustrated me which I guess is common to a lot of folks over the years.
In my case, I cannot understand why just unplugging the HDMI cable from the back of my Samsung DVD player, and plugging it into the PS3, (which was already working in another room with a HDMI hookup) fails to work !

I even tried deleting the Samsung completely and setting up the PS3 with the HDMI ("monlink" in Mitsi terminology ??). NO GO !!
My suggestion is to follow the advice given by MaNiaC. Use HDMI and A\V cables at the same time and change your settings. It solved the issue we had.

When my son got his own HDTV at Christmas last year he wanted his PS3 back, so that is no longer connected to our Mitsu. I had picked up a few Blu-rays by that time so I replaced the PS3 with a Panasonic BD player, and I had no problems with the Mitsu at all. Just set up NetCommand to use the HDMI and it worked. Plug and play... this time at any rate.

FWIW, our Pani player is also hooked up to our old 5.1 sound system with an optical cable, and and the system plays back 7.1 sound just fine. Just not in 7.1, of course. We don't always use it as the HDMI sound through the TV speakers works fine for many movies.

These newer "plug and play" TV sets rule!
I have a newer set also (an 2007 42" Pani plasma) and that's so true.

Good luck with resolving that PS3 problem

Last edited by Jon2; 12-28-09 at 07:16 PM.