Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Any idea when Star Trek will be released on HD-DVD?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 01-02-07, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is a must purchase for me in 2007! I can't seem to find a release date.
Old 01-02-07, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm waiting anxiously as well!
Old 01-02-07, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I still am not sold on older TV on HD-DVD. I have a hard time believing the picture will be any better than it was on the recently released sets, aside from the remastered effects. TNG specifically was shot in 480i, which severely limits its potential.
Old 01-02-07, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,875 Likes on 1,235 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I still am not sold on older TV on HD-DVD.
If you get HDNet, turn on Hogan's Heroes. The difference is pretty substantial.

I haven't tried downloading the HD episodes of the original Trek through the Xbox 360 Marketplace, but I'd expect a similar improvement.
Old 01-02-07, 09:55 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I still am not sold on older TV on HD-DVD. I have a hard time believing the picture will be any better than it was on the recently released sets, aside from the remastered effects. TNG specifically was shot in 480i, which severely limits its potential.
Well, TOS was shot on film, so the difference should be pretty apparent. As for TGN, correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard it was shot on film but edited on tape, so in order for it to be in HD, they'd have to go back to the negatives and redo every single effect.
Old 01-02-07, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It really depends on what you mean by "older." Most (but not all) shows produced between 1975 and 1995 will likely not see any benefit from HD, since they were generally shot or edited on SD video. However, almost all shows produced prior to that time were shot on film, and film will always, always have the potential to look better on HD DVD / Blu-ray. Likewise, most of the better shows produced over the past ten years have been either shot on film or (more recently) HD video, so they too will look great on the new HD formats.

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Well, TOS was shot on film, so the difference should be pretty apparent. As for TNG, correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard it was shot on film but edited on tape, so in order for it to be in HD, they'd have to go back to the negatives and redo every single effect.
You are correct. TNG, DS9 and (I believe) Voyager all had their effects shots added on SD video, so those shots would all have to be completely redone in HD. That might not be an unapproachable task, but th question would be whether the return would justify the expense.

TOS and Enterprise, on the other hand, will both benefit greatly from HD, and the recent "enhanced" TOS episodes are going to be a welcome addition to my library when they are eventually released.
Old 01-02-07, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Well, TOS was shot on film, so the difference should be pretty apparent. As for TGN, correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard it was shot on film but edited on tape, so in order for it to be in HD, they'd have to go back to the negatives and redo every single effect.
Agreed. Anything shot on film would greatly benefit. Video is much more problematic.

As for whether re-doing all of the effects in HD would be worthwhile of the expense, Trekkies have proven to be consistently reliable in supporting new product, so I would say "yes". You could also count on Paramount charging you a fortune for it.
Old 01-02-07, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,026 Posts
I attended a Trek-con earlier this year where the man in charge of the new FX additions to TOS spoke. When the started the project, the very first step was HD remasters of the original film. Then they started with the FX additions.

So we could conceivably get two versions on HD, with and without the new FX. I have no doubt Paramount would release two versions on the next format, as there are those of us who would buy both.
Old 01-02-07, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by milo bloom
I attended a Trek-con earlier this year where the man in charge of the new FX additions to TOS spoke. When the started the project, the very first step was HD remasters of the original film. Then they started with the FX additions.

So we could conceivably get two versions on HD, with and without the new FX.
Knowing Paramount, I forsee them releasing the show on 79 separately released discs, each containing a single episode in both its original and rejiggered versions. And of course, each disc will retail for $34.99.
Old 01-02-07, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Knowing Paramount, I forsee them releasing the show on 79 separately released discs, each containing a single episode in both its original and rejiggered versions. And of course, each disc will retail for $34.99.
And will sell out.
Old 01-02-07, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Come on, don't you think Paramount has learned their lesson by now?

They'll release them in season sets (packaged separately, one with the new effects, and one without), each set with an MSRP of $199. Then, they'll come out with repackaged sets (also packaged separately), each containing six episodes (some overlapping between sets, of course), and each with an MSRP of $99, including "Kirk's Hottest Babes", "Spock's Most Logical", "McCoy's I'm A Doctor, Not A...", "Scotty's Engineering Marvels", ...
Old 01-02-07, 09:31 PM

Probably around the time the new movie comes out in 2008.
Old 01-03-07, 12:14 AM

so true...

Old 01-03-07, 12:54 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Agreed. Anything shot on film would greatly benefit. Video is much more problematic.

As for whether re-doing all of the effects in HD would be worthwhile of the expense, Trekkies have proven to be consistently reliable in supporting new product, so I would say "yes". You could also count on Paramount charging you a fortune for it.
I'm not a Trekkie by any stretch of the imagination, but I would gladly pay a premium to get TNG remastered in HD, as long as they don't try to reframe it. Considering the favorable response the remastered TOS got, I don't see why TNG wouldn't be good, too.

But more importantly, bring on Wrath of Kahn in HD!
Old 01-03-07, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I will spend a lot of money. They just need to give me a reason.
Old 01-03-07, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by sman113
Probably around the time the new movie comes out in 2008.
What new movie?
Old 01-03-07, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by bpatt
What new movie?
JJ Abrams has been brought on as executive producer for a "prequel" movie of some sort. Not too many other details are available yet.
Old 01-04-07, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by kvrdave

I'm with you. I'll re-buy it all. I love it that much! Oh BTW, the gif is killing me!
Old 01-04-07, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kvrdave

that is shat-tastic!
Old 01-04-07, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not anytime soon.