Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

"Feature capabilities are subject to change"

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-06, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw this (and borrowed it) from a now closed thread (...thanks, Grubert! ):
Originally Posted by Grubert

We saw this future Disney Blu-ray selection list on the new Pirates disc and thought:

"Feature capabilities are subject to change"?

What are 'Feature capabilities'?

What does that mean exactly? Does it have anything to do with a possible alternate format? Are they by saying that, leaving themselves open to HD DVD?

-Paul

Last edited by The Edit King; 12-12-06 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Because that's what I do.
Old 12-12-06, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well they don't list any capabilities of the discs in question so I don't know why they have that on there. Other than of course that they're in HD! Yikes, with this clause they could decide to release some of those in SD only on BD. Not gonna happen but it's fun to play with their odd wording. I would definitely say this is absolutely not a sign that they are leaving themselves open to HD DVD or an alternate format. If anything I would suspect they simply meant "titles subject to change."
Old 12-12-06, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh, okay.

I wasn't sure what the Hell it meant!

Thanks for replying so fast.
Old 12-12-06, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you visit the Disney Blu-ray page they list interactive features and online stuff being developed, such as connecting to live events, etc.
Old 12-12-06, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like some lawyer just went a little nuts and felt like adding a "generic disclaimer" there.

My read? It's pretty ambigous, but I take it to mean that there's no guarantee that those titles will actually come out. That is, don't go crying to Disney if they don't actually put The Lion King out on BD. It's a preliminary list of titles "subject to change", as Nevi suggests.
Old 12-12-06, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Also, from the Disney Blu-Ray FAQ:

"The ultimate in high-definition picture quality - Blu-ray players deliver full 1080p resolution, while HD-DVD players only deliver 1080i."

http://disney.go.com/disneyvideos/bluray/
Old 12-12-06, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Bus

"The ultimate in high-definition picture quality - Blu-ray players deliver full 1080p resolution, while HD-DVD players only deliver 1080i."

I'd hope that anyone savvy enough to know the difference between 1080i and 1080p would also be savvy enough to realize what a load of crap that is. Unfortunately, I've heard the same line from various Best Buy employees as well.
Old 12-12-06, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus

While I have a BD player, lies and mistalk like this make me lean towards my HD-DVD. The XA2 is capable of 1080p output, and I hardly think that the ultimate in HD picture quality lies with MPEG encoding.
Old 12-13-06, 03:43 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Hey, I've seen some awesome MPEG-4 encodes.
Old 12-13-06, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Hey, I've seen some awesome MPEG-4 encodes.
I have no doubt. But I feel that VC-1 is a much better codec.

Also, I'd like to see BD start taking advantage of BD50, and at least including SD extras. And lower their prices to HD-DVD level as well.
Old 12-13-06, 07:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
While I have a BD player, lies and mistalk like this make me lean towards my HD-DVD. The XA2 is capable of 1080p output, and I hardly think that the ultimate in HD picture quality lies with MPEG encoding.
Not only the XA2, but the Xbox 360 Add-on is capable of outputting 1080p via the VGA port.

Since both formats encode ondisc as 1080p, and not to mention that 99.5% of people on the planet would never be able to discern 1080p vs. 1080i visually, this whole issue is FUD perpetrated by a bunch of BR fanboys.

*spit*