Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

DVD Upscaling via HDMI

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

DVD Upscaling via HDMI

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-06, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD Upscaling via HDMI

Hi all,
I'm pretty new to everything HD, and have had my set under a week.

As soon as I got it I ordered a DVD player with HDMI out.. that upscales DVDs.

My problem is, most dvds actually look worse when displayed at HD (any resolution) via HDMI.. then when I watched them on the same player VIA AV cables.

For example, adam sandlers Bulletproof.. an old movie so I didnt expect a big difference.. but it was horrible! all the colours were faded and looked to me mereging.. ecspecially dark colours.

Played it via AV and it looked as it should.

Just got the breakup and new superman dvds tonight.
Popped the break up in and played via HD and it looked good, I will say that but I still had the same problem with dark colours (t-shirts hair...)
And some bluryness.. any suggestions on how to stop this?

When I go to the dvd players setup menu everything including the background image looks crystal clear.. but everything else.. not so good.

It's really knocked my confidence in HD.

Just to note I am using a HDMI to DVI converter cable (a high quality one)
I don't see how this can be the problem, because as I said the setup menu is crystal clear.
Old 12-09-06, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

You don't mention what player you bought. It is entirely possible that your player is crap, or that something is not set up correctly.
Old 12-09-06, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
It could be either a colorspace conversion issue, or just that you haven't calibrated the DVI input properly. Each input should have its own settings, and you need to calibrate each one. The DVI input may be particularly different, since it may be expecting PC video, which has different settings for black and white level than NTSC/HD video.

Don't write off HD based on upscaling. Upscaling is not really HD, just a better way of using the available resolution on a DVD when viewing it on an HDTV. Some softness is to be expected in comparison to an HD source (although I'm not sure if the setup menu would actually be in HD).
Old 12-11-06, 04:08 PM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Perhaps he has a G1 Toshiba? Don't they have problems using HDMI->DVI?
Old 12-11-06, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by exm
Perhaps he has a G1 Toshiba? Don't they have problems using HDMI->DVI?
Not problems like he describes, no. The only HDMI->DVI conversion problem is an issue with blacker-than-black being clipped.

This sounds very much to me like a set-up problem.
Old 12-11-06, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Z
Not problems like he describes, no. The only HDMI->DVI conversion problem is an issue with blacker-than-black being clipped.

This sounds very much to me like a set-up problem.
Or someone seeing for the first time what colors are really supposed to look like (aka, not bloom city).
Old 12-11-06, 06:45 PM

It is actually a pretty cheap player, it was just to tide me over until I get a HD/BR player.

Just really hope I see better results with those.
Old 12-12-06, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by bodomnet
It is actually a pretty cheap player, it was just to tide me over until I get a HD/BR player.
The player itself could just be poor. If your major complaint is the difference in colors, did you calibrate each video input on your TV? Many TVs save different calibration settings over each input. It could be that by switching to HDMI you've put the TV back to its factory defaults.
Old 12-12-06, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bodomnet
It is actually a pretty cheap player
lol. Is there a reason you're not letting us know the brand/model of your player? That might help.

That being said, I think you may have answered your own question with the "pretty cheap player" comment. That's probably the issue.

Or your TV hasn't been calibrated properly for the HDMI input, as Josh suggests.