Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

PS3 as a Blu-Ray player...opinions?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-06, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, so I'm about to get a PS3....I have a connection at a store...HOPEFULLY.

Anyways, how is the Blu-Ray player on it? I would have this hooked up via HDMI to a 26" LCD...so will I even notice much of a difference? (I'm leaving my 360 on my 55" TV).

Also, I have optical OUT on my TV, so basically I would run the PS3 HDMI into my TV, then the sound would be output via optical....is this ok? Will I still get DD sound?
Old 12-06-06, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you can still run the Optical directly to your receiver from the PS3 and avoid pass through with your TV set. Even though HDMI transmits the audio signal to your TV, you should be able to override it with the optical wire. Or your TV speakers may output the HDMI audio signal and your reciever will output the audio via optical simultaneously. In this case turn the audio on your TV to off or, if you prefer, turn it up to add more sound coming from the front.
Old 12-06-06, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Yes, you can run optical straight from the PS3 to your reciever. This is exactly the way I have mine hooked up (although with only one input on both my reciever and TV, I'm moving both the optical and HDMI back and forth between my PS3 and Toshiba HD-DVD player). The Blu-ray player in the PS3 is top-notch. I've watched three movies so far (X-Men 3, Talledega Nights and Speed) and haven't had issues with any of them. In fact, the quality of audio I'm getting from my PS3 surpasses what I'm seeing from my Toshiba...but that may have more to do with the discs I've been watching than the players themselves. Video quality is on par with my HD DVD player.
Old 12-06-06, 01:53 PM

The ps3 is nice, and currently considered about the best blu-ray player considering the price. It is VERY FAST, still much faster than my A1 using version 2.0. Sound is nice and I have had zero playback issues. Using the wireless remote was no problem, and it gave TONS of options.

Sound is nice, but Toshiba CERTAINLY gives better sound over HDMI and multichannel with True HD. I still can't believe they included Talladega Nights (which is the THEATRICAL cut and different from the regular Blu-Ray release next week) and only gave you composite cables. Talladgea looks fine, but is nothing when compared with King Kong, Superman, Batman Begins, MI3, etc. If you watched the pack in disc of King Kong for the 360 next to this, you would think HD-DVD is better.
I have had no HDMI handshake issues at all which is good.
In conclusion: PS3 is fast, handles discs well and is a great Blu-Ray player for $600. However, I'll be sticking with my A1 Toshiba for a majority of movie viewing purchases and Netflix rentals. Being on both sides of the format war means you aren't locked out of any titles.
Old 12-06-06, 02:01 PM

i say sell the ps3 for some profit

I was in gamestop today amongst 40-50 parents all waiting ready to unload their wallets on a shipment of wiis and ps3s that came in. I left the store because it was way too mobbed. But i know for sure alot of them went home empty handed since only 14 wiis and 2 ps3s came in.

Sell that and wait it out I say. I personally dont care much for the blu ray selection and you stated you have a 360 so you really arent missing out on any must have games aside from Resistance.

just my opinion though. good luck with whatever you choose. My friend has one and he stated talladega nights did not look very good and this was on a sony bravia lcd 40 inch xbr
Old 12-06-06, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just got a PS3 yesterday, haven't had a chance to hook it up yet, but I'll post some impressions here when I've had a little time with it. Does anybody else with a PS3 know if the Talledega Nights that's bundled is the unrated cut? It doesn't say so on the box, I'm slightly concerned.
Old 12-06-06, 02:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bravesmg
I just got a PS3 yesterday, haven't had a chance to hook it up yet, but I'll post some impressions here when I've had a little time with it. Does anybody else with a PS3 know if the Talledega Nights that's bundled is the unrated cut? It doesn't say so on the box, I'm slightly concerned.
It is the theatrical cut.
Old 12-06-06, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Talladega Nights is not the unrated SE disc that is coming out next week. It's the theatrical cut bundled specifically for the PS3.

In regards, to the PS3 Blu-ray player, Sound & Vision mag tested the PS3, Samsung & Panasonic and said the PQ is pretty much the same on all three. I have the Panny & Sammy, and I will put in that the Panny has a SLIGHTLY better picture. I'm not sure if he put the second (later-dated) FW update for the Sammy, because it reduced load time even further (19 seconds consistantly for me).

I've never tried HD on a screen as small as 26" so I can't tell you the differences.
Old 12-06-06, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by matome
The Talladega Nights is not the unrated SE disc that is coming out next week. It's the theatrical cut bundled specifically for the PS3.
Holy crap, that sucks. I guess I'll be dropping the extra $17 bucks for the unrated version at Target next week. I have no idea what to do with useless theatrical cut.
Old 12-06-06, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by matome

In regards, to the PS3 Blu-ray player, Sound & Vision mag tested the PS3, Samsung & Panasonic and said the PQ is pretty much the same on all three.
Getting back to our trio of Blu-ray Disc players, my personal favorite was the PlayStation 3. This machine's picture and sound quality were nothing short of stunning, and its HDMI 1.3 connection and built-in Dolby TrueHD decoding give it a layer of future-proofing that the other players currently lack. I also appreciated its multichannel Super Audio CD playback and 60-GB hard disk for storing compressed music files. And even though I don't have much use for the PS3's gaming capabilities, I definitely got a kick out of Resistance: Fall of Man. The PS3's $600 price — several hundred less than the others — also goes a long way toward making it the Blu-ray Disc player of choice.

As for the other players, the Panasonic DMP-BD10 and updated Samsung BD-P1000 are both solid machines capable of providing fine baseline picture and sound quality from Blu-ray Discs. But both also lack built-in decoding for advanced audio formats such as Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio (a situation that Panasonic has promised to fix with a firmware upgrade) and Ethernet connectivity for hooking up to a home network. These missing items make them look seriously lean-featured when compared to the PS3.
To me it sounds like the PS3 was the clear winner.
Old 12-06-06, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by The Bus
The lack of a remote sounds quite annoying right now, other than that I firmly agree. Does anybody know if the Logitech Harmony is compatible yet with PS3?
Old 12-06-06, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Bus
Yeah, I just assumed DJ was asking about the PQ since he was already definitely getting a PS3.
Old 12-06-06, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by bravesmg
The lack of a remote sounds quite annoying right now, other than that I firmly agree. Does anybody know if the Logitech Harmony is compatible yet with PS3?
Is it Bluetooth?

Isn't there a separate PS3 remote you can buy? I thought I saw one or read about one for sale, first-party.
Old 12-06-06, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, I am really hoping they release an IR adapter, or else it really screws people who have universal remotes.
Old 12-06-06, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I read a review that said Sony would have their first party remote out sometime in December for $25.

I had no idea it was bluetooth only, if I can't use my Harmony, this thing is really starting to annoy the hell out of me already and I haven't even opened it yet.
Old 12-07-06, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, I'm picking up my PS3 today...nice.

I still don't have a HDMI cable, so I may not be able to hook it up.....screw Composite, Sony screwed that one up BIG TIME. At least have Component.

Also, I was hoping to use the optical out on my TV, since I'm out of inputs on my receiver, but I think I'll just have to get a optical switch.
Old 12-07-06, 03:43 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The PS3 has no IR port, so there's no way to use a conventional remote. You'll have to wait to get Sony's proprietary remote that uses Bluetooth.

And DJ, you can get generic PS2 component cables that will work 100% on the PS3 for $15, or go to monoprice and get an HDMI cable for $6.
Old 12-07-06, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, you're gonna need some Blu-ray product then. These are my favorite exclusives:

Black Hawk Down
Enemy of the State
Ice Age 2
Monster House
Underworld: Evolution
X-Men: The Last Stand
Old 12-07-06, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
The PS3 has no IR port, so there's no way to use a conventional remote. You'll have to wait to get Sony's proprietary remote that uses Bluetooth.

And DJ, you can get generic PS2 component cables that will work 100% on the PS3 for $15, or go to monoprice and get an HDMI cable for $6.
Ordered a cable from Monoprice yesterday actually...HDMI. I just hope it works with my optical OUT from my TV. If not, I'll get an optical switch....monoprice has those cheap also.
Old 12-07-06, 08:35 PM
Banned by request

So you want to run the audio from your PS3 to your TV, then from your TV to your receiver via optical? Am I understanding that right? From what I've heard, that should work.
Old 12-08-06, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So you want to run the audio from your PS3 to your TV, then from your TV to your receiver via optical? Am I understanding that right? From what I've heard, that should work.
Yes....it would be

HDMI from PS3 to TV
OPTICAL from TV to RECEIVER.

I've heard it WILL and WON'T work. I guess I'll find out when my HDMI cable shows up. It may depend on the TV also (I have a HP LC2600N).
Old 12-09-06, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I just picked up the 20GB PS3 today from Wal-Mart, along with Resistance: Fall of Man. I mostly bought it for movies though, which is why I'm posting here (actually, I did post in the video game forum too). Not sure if I'll keep it yet, I figured I'd let it sit for a day or two. I did pick up a long Ethernet cable though, since the 20GB model doesn't have wireless. I also ordered a couple of HDMI cables and a toslink cable as well. Cheapest HDMI I could find locally was $35 at Wal-Mart. I paid less than $6 each for the pair I got from monoprice. They also had an PREMIUM Optical cable with FANCY CONNECTORS - their words - for less than $5!! Unfortunately though, my TV only has one HDMI input, which my PC is hooked to, and my receiver is old with only one optical input (also taken by the PC). So, if I keep it I'll probably pick up a low cost receiver with HDMI switching.

I plan to get Kingdom of Heaven: DC and Black Hawk Down as my first movies, and probably Corpse Bride. If I keep it, that is. This was an impulse buy, I was really waiting until I could get a player for $300 or the war had been settled. Oops!

Last edited by bdshort; 12-09-06 at 01:43 AM.
Old 12-09-06, 08:42 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
Yes....it would be

HDMI from PS3 to TV
OPTICAL from TV to RECEIVER.

I've heard it WILL and WON'T work. I guess I'll find out when my HDMI cable shows up. It may depend on the TV also (I have a HP LC2600N).
I've heard the PS3 won't let you use its own optical out if you're hooking it up by HDMI, but if you're using the TV as a passthrough, it should work in theory. As you mentioned, it may depend on the display.
Old 12-09-06, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've heard the PS3 won't let you use its own optical out if you're hooking it up by HDMI, but if you're using the TV as a passthrough, it should work in theory. As you mentioned, it may depend on the display.
I think there was a FIX for this....not sure though. I'll find out soon enough...whenever my HDMI cable shows up (hopefully today)
Old 12-09-06, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not sure what you mean, but I am using HDMI + Optical and it works just fine.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.