Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

My take on HD-DVD/Blue Ray-Both Fail!

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-06, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everyone was looking for a winner in the HD vs Blue ray battle. Now that the PS3 is out and the Xbox add on I have some opinions of this stuff. So far I have the Xbox DVD add on and have seen Goodfellas and Cinderella man so far on HD. Goodfellas as no better than standard DVD,Cinderalla looked good but not enough to get somebody to drop 500 or more on a HD player. Both fail because,,,#1 So far HD tvs have not reached the masses...they are growing but so many people dont have a HD set. HD broadcasting is taking off like a lead balloon. I have had it for a few years and the broadcast channels love it so much that many shows are still standard 4 x 3 including Amazing Race, 60 mins to name a few.

PS3 is a bust. It ill be once the smoke clears. Xbox will be the winner as hard as that is to beleve. Lower pricing and quality games make XBOX the winner. Some thought that the PS3 as a trojan horse would get the Blue ray movement going. I think Sony wond sell to many units. A big disappointment for them.

Another problem...retaiilers. I dont think they want to support HD or Blue Ray on top of the standard dvds they sell sucessfully. Carry both-impossible. If you buy a package and get a hybrid disk of sorts, maybe. The way things are now-total failure.

Remember the people on these boards and avs are total enthusiasts. This is not the average person. I think some forget that. I found this site many years ago when I first got a DVD player. I was on the cutting edge and my first player cost $300.00 which to this day I thought was reasonable.

Rob
Old 11-28-06, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
We're trying to lean away from the 'format war' angle in this forum and just enjoying what we enjoy.
Old 11-28-06, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
It is way too early to announce the death of either format. DVD didn't jump out of the gates either. The format war hurts both, but I doubt both formats will die.
Old 11-28-06, 08:21 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Alright, you think both will fail. That's cool. I'm going to go watch some awesome movies in HD now. Bye.
Old 11-28-06, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by robertw477
Everyone was looking for a winner in the HD vs Blue ray battle. Now that the PS3 is out and the Xbox add on I have some opinions of this stuff. So far I have the Xbox DVD add on and have seen Goodfellas and Cinderella man so far on HD. Goodfellas as no better than standard DVD,Cinderalla looked good but not enough to get somebody to drop 500 or more on a HD player. Both fail because,,,#1 So far HD tvs have not reached the masses...they are growing but so many people dont have a HD set. HD broadcasting is taking off like a lead balloon. I have had it for a few years and the broadcast channels love it so much that many shows are still standard 4 x 3 including Amazing Race, 60 mins to name a few.

PS3 is a bust. It ill be once the smoke clears. Xbox will be the winner as hard as that is to beleve. Lower pricing and quality games make XBOX the winner. Some thought that the PS3 as a trojan horse would get the Blue ray movement going. I think Sony wond sell to many units. A big disappointment for them.

Another problem...retaiilers. I dont think they want to support HD or Blue Ray on top of the standard dvds they sell sucessfully. Carry both-impossible. If you buy a package and get a hybrid disk of sorts, maybe. The way things are now-total failure.

Remember the people on these boards and avs are total enthusiasts. This is not the average person. I think some forget that. I found this site many years ago when I first got a DVD player. I was on the cutting edge and my first player cost $300.00 which to this day I thought was reasonable.

Rob
This is the worst attempt at a threadcrap that I have ever seen on this forum. Not only are you totally out of line and off base, your "opinions" are not based on fact or any real empirical data. Calling the PS3, which launched TWO WEEKS AGO, is beyond ridiculous, and your rationale is juvenile and not based in sound logic.

In other words, you are wrong. And that's not an opinion.
Old 11-28-06, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can we close this useless thread? Looks more like trolling to me.