Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

New article on HD LOTR

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

New article on HD LOTR

Old 11-20-06, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New article on HD LOTR

Here is an article on possible extras on a future HD LOTR box set:

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/746/746952p1.html

Note that a specific format is never mentioned.
Old 11-20-06, 11:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by XavierMike

Note that a specific format is never mentioned.
that's because NL is supporting both formats.
Old 11-21-06, 06:37 AM

I'm not really into extras but I sure would be happy to have this trilogy in HD... the sooner the better.
Old 11-21-06, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I do not really care about new LOTR extras, I just want the extended editions in HD. I would be very disappointed if they only released the theatrical editions in HD.
Old 11-21-06, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fryinpan1
I do not really care about new LOTR extras, I just want the extended editions in HD. I would be very disappointed if they only released the theatrical editions in HD.
Agreed. I doubt I would pick them up if they were only the theatrical cuts.
Old 11-21-06, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm pretty sure you're gonna see plenty of releases of these movies when the time comes, and I doubt the EE's will be the first ones.
Old 11-21-06, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by matome
I'm pretty sure you're gonna see plenty of releases of these movies when the time comes, and I doubt the EE's will be the first ones.
Actually, what I don't think you'll ever see is a theatrical-only release of the movies, ever again. The extended versions have outsold the theatrical, and the most recent DVD releases indicate that the studio's preferred method will be to include both versions on a single disc via branching.
Old 11-21-06, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

While I like the fact that (so far) every release has had unique and interesting extras, I'm getting to the point of fatigue with these. An HD release will make 4 trilogy releases with 4 different sets of extras. I'm still glad that there's no overlap, but it's getting a bit tiring.

It's certainly not going to stop me from buying the HD release. That's right at the top of my 'must have' list. But I'd also like for them to take a deep breath at some point and release a huge uber-edition with all of the extras from the various sets.
Old 11-21-06, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by RoboDad
Actually, what I don't think you'll ever see is a theatrical-only release of the movies, ever again. The extended versions have outsold the theatrical, and the most recent DVD releases indicate that the studio's preferred method will be to include both versions on a single disc via branching.
That may be true for most releases, but the LOTR Extended Editions feature new music and other transitions that would make "seamless" branching next to impossible. We'll probably see both released separately at the very most.
Old 11-21-06, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Randy Miller III
the LOTR Extended Editions feature new music and other transitions that would make "seamless" branching next to impossible.
Doesn't the latest set have both versions via branching?
Old 11-21-06, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by matome
No doubt about it. The best way to milk a franchise is to release as many versions as possible and not at the same time. We'll get the theatrical first and the extended versions will show up later. That's how I would release it if I were a greedy studio.
Old 11-21-06, 01:53 PM
Banned

Luckily for us, Peter Jackson has shown great restraint in releasing versions of LOTR. When the first EE was sold, he said that it would be the definitive release, and that they would release a box for it later (which they did) instead of making you rebuy the set for just the box. So far, the EE has not been reissued, which is a good sign.

Hopefully we'll get one version of the EE in High Def and that will be the end of it.
Old 11-21-06, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would still prefer to have a choice of getting the theatrical cuts as well. There are cases where I like the theatrical version better, ie The 40-Year-Old Virgin. I thought Return of the King was way too long theatrically, so the extended doesn't help.
Old 11-21-06, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by joshd2012
So far, the EE has not been reissued, which is a good sign.
The EE was reissued (along with the theatrical version via branching) this fall:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=23800
Old 11-21-06, 02:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bboisvert
The EE was reissued (along with the theatrical version via branching) this fall:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=23800
I would say that is more of a re-release of the theatrical version, with the EE as an extra, rather than a reissue of the 4-disc set. Did they even do that successfully? I seem to remember huge differences in the score that seem impossible to do "seemlessly".
Old 11-21-06, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would say that is more of a re-release of the theatrical version, with the EE as an extra
I'm not sure I really understand that distinction, but OK...
Old 11-21-06, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Luckily for us, Peter Jackson has shown great restraint in releasing versions of LOTR.
Are you serious?? There have already been three versions of these films. PJ is just as greedy a double dipper as the rest.
Old 11-21-06, 02:43 PM
Banned

Luckily for us, Peter Jackson has shown great restraint in releasing versions of LOTR. When the first EE was sold, he said that it would be the definitive release, and that they would release a box for it later (which they did) instead of making you rebuy the set for just the box. So far, the EE has not been reissued, which is a good sign.

Hopefully we'll get one version of the EE in High Def and that will be the end of it.
But notice...he's giving a lot of attention to all those extras...that no one gives a shit about.
Old 11-21-06, 02:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bboisvert
I'm not sure I really understand that distinction, but OK...
Well, what I mean is, the EE is still the ultimate version of the DVD. Its not like they released a Special Edition with a bunch of extras, only to release an Ultimate Edition a few years later with a few more extras. As they said, there is still some more extras in the treasure chest that they are holding onto for the High Def release. They could easily put out a new "Ultimate EE" version with the unseen extras and force us all to double dip. But they didn't, and probably won't (until after the High Def version is out, and then it won't matter because the High Def version will trump the SD release).
Old 11-21-06, 02:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
Are you serious?? There have already been three versions of these films. PJ is just as greedy a double dipper as the rest.
How many versions have you purchased? Which would you say is the best version of the film, and was that version known to consumers when the initial discs came out?
Old 11-21-06, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I also have to hope that they will, one day, put out an uber HD set with all the special features from the 2-disc theatrical version, the 4-disc extended editions, the recent 2-disc versions (basically, the fly-on-the-wall documentaries) and whatever else they have in store, along with both versions of each movie. It would be nice to have one comprehensive set on my shelves, as opposed to a whole shelf dedicated to LOTR releases.
Old 11-21-06, 09:31 PM

How many versions have you purchased? Which would you say is the best version of the film, and was that version known to consumers when the initial discs came out?
I don't own them, but I'd have to say according to your specifications where all that matters is the film that the latest set with both versions of the film would be the best, and "consumers" (read: internet fans not Joe Average) had no idea of such a release.

Listen, I love LotR as much as anybody. I think PJ is a genius, and he was clearly the perfect person to bring these novels to life.

All that said, he's in it for the cash just like everyone else. I don't understand why some internet fanboys put him up on this altruistic pedestal. If he REALLY cared about not double dipping, then the latest version would have been the FIRST AND ONLY version.

They do it to sell discs. I realize it and its cool and I don't feel like I'm getting fucked with each release. Besides all that, I'd bet that NL is the one deciding on the multiple releases, and frankly I'm glad PJ is involved.
Old 11-21-06, 11:20 PM
Banned

I don't own them, but I'd have to say according to your specifications where all that matters is the film that the latest set with both versions of the film would be the best, and "consumers" (read: internet fans not Joe Average) had no idea of such a release.

Listen, I love LotR as much as anybody. I think PJ is a genius, and he was clearly the perfect person to bring these novels to life.

All that said, he's in it for the cash just like everyone else. I don't understand why some internet fanboys put him up on this altruistic pedestal. If he REALLY cared about not double dipping, then the latest version would have been the FIRST AND ONLY version.

They do it to sell discs. I realize it and its cool and I don't feel like I'm getting fucked with each release. Besides all that, I'd bet that NL is the one deciding on the multiple releases, and frankly I'm glad PJ is involved.
The newest release doesn't have the DTS track and has lower video bit rate. For the movie only, the EE was the best release. I'm not putting him up on a pedestal. I'm just saying that he said the EE would be the best release, and it still is.
Old 11-22-06, 05:18 AM

That is not what is at issue here.

Luckily for us, Peter Jackson has shown great restraint in releasing versions of LOTR.
Is what you said, and as usual, you can't support your opinion (presented as fact) with any evidence.

FotR came out in 2001, on DVD in 2002 and has seen three releases. The other two films are more recent, RotK in 2003, seeing DVD in mid 2004. Three releases in less than two years is restraint??
Old 11-22-06, 07:58 AM
Banned

That is not what is at issue here.

Is what you said, and as usual, you can't support your opinion (presented as fact) with any evidence.

FotR came out in 2001, on DVD in 2002 and has seen three releases. The other two films are more recent, RotK in 2003, seeing DVD in mid 2004. Three releases in less than two years is restraint??
If you're talking about the standard release, then yes I would agree that it was too much. If you're talking about the 'special edition' release, there is only one. As I own the EE, there is absolutely no reason for me to go out and purchase the new branching release. If I owned the theatrical release, then yes, there is a step upgrade to getting the new release. Of course, if you purchase the theatrical release in the first place, you probably weren't too concerned with having the extended edition anyway. The new release is more for first time buyers of the movies than anything, and that makes up about 12 people across the country.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.