Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

General Blu-ray news and discussion

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

General Blu-ray news and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-06, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 287 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by joshd2012
What an ignorant statement. I listen to reviews that reflect my own viewing experience.
So you've actually watched The Omen for yourself, then? All your post indicates is that two different review sites gave it different ratings, and you're discounting the one that gave a Blu-ray a negative review.
Old 11-20-06, 08:40 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Z
So you've actually watched The Omen for yourself, then? All your post indicates is that two different review sites gave it different ratings, and you're discounting the one that gave a Blu-ray a negative review.
Yup. Didn't like the movie, but the PQ/AQ was excellent, as Chad reviewed. 3.5/5 is hardly negative, but definitely doesn't reflect how good the movie actually looks and sounds.
Old 11-20-06, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Could be. I'll see if I can dig up a clip of the ad from someplace.
Here's the ad and the Yahoo article about it:

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/061120/20061120005180.html?.v=1

TV ad
Old 11-20-06, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nevi
Good to hear. Are they including any clips of movies which aren't announced yet by chance?
From what I recognized: Superman Returns, Harry Potter, Fantastic Four, Pearl Harbor (?), Pirates of The Caribbean: Black Pearl, X-Men (the first movie), Gone in 60 Seconds.
Old 11-20-06, 12:08 PM
Banned

In addition to the six dual layer lines currently running, the company has nine 25 GB Blu-ray Disc production machines in operation and has shipped over three million Blu-ray Discs for a client base of over 35 customers since beginning production in May of this year.
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/061120/nym001.html?.v=62

This is in obvious response to the HD DVD promo group announcing they have shipped 1.5 million. The 3 million figure does not include Panasonic's line.
Old 11-20-06, 12:15 PM
Banned

May? Did i miss something?
Old 11-20-06, 12:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
May? Did i miss something?
No. The launch was in June, they needed to make the discs before then.
Old 11-20-06, 01:14 PM
Banned

NYT panned the PS3 today, although there isn't a single sentence in the entire piece about its Blu-ray playback performance, which is the only thing about the machine that interests me. Aaargh.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/20/arts/20game.html
Old 11-20-06, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yeah, my biggest gripe is that it doesnt come with hdtv cables. They include a BD disc, but no hdtv cables?? Thats a bad move IMO.

JoeSixPack will be using composite cables to connect to his RCA hdtv from walmart.
Old 11-20-06, 10:48 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
More likely J6P will be using the composite cables to their RCA SDTV and wondering why the racing game they included doesn't seem to do anything but play cutscenes.
Old 11-20-06, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
More likely J6P will be using the composite cables to their RCA SDTV and wondering why the racing game they included doesn't seem to do anything but play cutscenes.
"Will be using" being the operative words. It's doubtful J6P has gotten his greedy little mits on this piece of hardware yet.
Old 11-20-06, 11:00 PM
Banned by request

I don't know, the lady whose water broke while in line for a PS3 and she refused to leave the line is probably in the J6P category.
Old 11-20-06, 11:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I don't know, the lady whose water broke while in line for a PS3 and she refused to leave the line is probably in the J6P category.
link?
Old 11-20-06, 11:14 PM
Banned by request

It was mentioned in the official PS3 thread in the video game forum.
Old 11-21-06, 10:26 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rusty James
NYT panned the PS3 today, although there isn't a single sentence in the entire piece about its Blu-ray playback performance, which is the only thing about the machine that interests me. Aaargh.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/20/arts/20game.html
so did Time magazine...

"Sony's Playstation 3 is Not Worth the Hype"
http://www.time.com/time/business/pr...560635,00.html

It doubles as a Blu-Ray DVD player (that's the main reason for the high retail price), but guess what? Nobody cares.
Old 11-21-06, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
so did Time magazine...

One article I read somewhere said Blu-Ray and HD DVD did not look different. Another at a mostly industry/trade site had this to say:

Originally Posted by Next-Gen.biz
Of course, the system also plays Blu-ray movies, something Sony would suggest is an integral part of the next-gen experience. Well, there are plenty of critiques of the format online from people who fret over these things much more than I ever will. Having spent the weekend mucking about with the Xbox 360 HD DVD drive and the PS3, I'll tell you I'm now completely sold on high definition video: the leap in clarity is amazing. Is either one better? They look the same to me. Talladega Nights isn't a great movie for showing off the format, though: an action movie with expensive special effects (MS tucked in King Kong) would have been a better choice. This movie just looks cheap and stupid in 1080p. But the detail is still fantastic, and, even stuck with the Sixaxis as the only way to control the player, Blu-ray is damn nice.
Now that the general media is picking up on this, it will be extremely interesting to learn about this stuff. A high praise or jeer on some national magazine is thousands of times more impactful than any single post on a blog or message board.
Old 11-21-06, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 666 Likes on 463 Posts
so did Time magazine...

Oh, how the mighty have fallen. Not Sony, Time Magazine; they should be embarrassed for publishing that shoddily written article.

First off, the writer criticizes Sony for naming their processor?
Apparently the author's been living in a hole for the past 13 years since Intel named the Pentium.

Also, the author completely dismisses BD movie playback, apparently not even testing the free movie that it came with. However, that's ignoring the market that does exist for HD video. Even MS has gotten into the game with the HD DVD add-on for their system.

The author also mentions people camping outside a Gamestop for the PS3, when nobody camped outside a Gamestop since Gamestop had sold pre-orders, so there was no need.

Finally, the writing just comes off as insufferably smug. He does actually manage to make a few good points (Sony should've included an HD compatible cable, although not necessarily HDMI), but his too-cute (hey! a Star Wars reference!) and snarky tone totally undermines it.
Old 11-21-06, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Oh, how the mighty have fallen. Not Sony, Time Magazine; they should be embarrassed for publishing that shoddily written article.
I think he hit the nail on the head. Seriously, its overpriced for the majority of users. He is representing them.

Most people dont care about BD playback, much less have an HDTV. So, why shell out $600 for a system that you can get most of the games on Wii or 360 right now.

Like he said, maybe next year when more exclusive games come out it will be worth it. But, for now, it isnt worth it. That was the point of the article.

Im inclined to agree.

For me, BD playback is really the only draw since none of the games interest me. That being the case, I might put that money towards a stand alone BD player.
Old 11-21-06, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 666 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by RockStrongo
I think he hit the nail on the head. Seriously, its overpriced for the majority of users. He is representing them.

Most people dont care about BD playback, much less have an HDTV.
Most people don't. That doesn't mean that nobody does. And I find it funny that he never mentioned the term HDTV, instead referring them as "top-notch" or "fancy" TVs.

Also, I remember reading somewhere that it was expected that 80% of Xbox 360 owners would have at least one HDTV by the end of the year. So even saying that "most" of the potential PS3 buyers don't care about HDTV may be a stretch.

So, why shell out $600 for a system that you can get most of the games on Wii or 360 right now.

Like he said, maybe next year when more exclusive games come out it will be worth it. But, for now, it isnt worth it. That was the point of the article.
If that was the point, he told it very ineptly. He seemed more upset over the lack of a rumble feature than the lack of exclusive games.

Again, he did have a few good points. However, the article overall is just horribly written.
Old 11-21-06, 11:23 AM
Banned

One interesting thing is that almost all of the top 10 selling BD's on Amazon are BD exclusive at this point. Earlier, that wasn't the case.
Personally, I think there are several ways of interpriting that.
Old 11-21-06, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Plus, the Time article calls it "Blu-Ray DVD," which is a sign of a poorly (if at all) researched article.
Old 11-21-06, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Again, he did have a few good points. However, the article overall is just horribly written.
I think most gaming systems are worthless at the beginning. The 360 was really no different. Funny that people shell out all this money when there are hardly any games (or movies).

Like he said, its not worth the hype. Especially, when people are camping out for days and paying thousands on ebay!!
Old 11-21-06, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does anyone know if Enemy of The State was delayed? I don't see anyone online who has it in stock and my Best Buy didn't have it today either.
Old 11-21-06, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Mr. Cinema says he saw it at a couple of his Best Buys, so apparently it is out.
Old 11-21-06, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I posted the info on AVS. 2 of my local BB's have this in stock for pickup. I didn't go in and actually see the title, but the store locator shows it available.

I'm also curious about the first week sales numbers for X-men: The Last Stand. It was actually on sale and showed up just before the PS3 release. So we'll see if those 2 factors had any impact. Tough to figure out exactly how many copies MI3 sold since the reports combined both formats.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.