Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

how do you wish the HD wars went?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-06, 04:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is a standard we're going to live with for a long time. if the industry had waited a year or two and collaborated more wouldn't things be much better in the long term?

what things do you wish were different?

i wish interlace was no more
i wish there was only one final hdmi spec

EDIT (for clarity):

i was thinking of HD in general (tv's included) when referring to HD war.

i don't think there should be issues like the playstation3 1080i scaler problem.

or more than that i wish users didn't have to configure anything with the video or audio. just connect hdmi cable and go. the equipment should figure out the highest matching configuration.

ideally the industry could have planned out 3 simple specs for all hardware (tv, receiver, consoles, etc):

1) 480p/i, stereo/5.1 dd [for legacy]
2) 720p72, 7.1 dd+ [as stopgap for 1080p or more content]
3) 1080p72, 7.1 true-hd

anything with higher spec has to be backwards compatible. only one hdmi version.

then as consumer you only need to know two numbers: 720 or 1080

Last edited by her34; 11-17-06 at 11:41 AM.
Old 11-08-06, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Interlace is no more on the HD disc formats. Both are 1080p24.
If you mean 1080i TVs being no more well I think we are moving more and more to 1080p and 720p TVs being the norm. However, broadcast TV is probably never going to support 1080p due to bandwith restrictions so expect 1080i and 720p to be important for decades.
HDMI is backwards compatible, but that is a format that will probably continue to evolve. However, HDMI 1.3 is really not that important if you have a player that can decode DD TrueHD.

I also wish HD DVD and Blu-ray could have come to an agreement, but with both formats doing a fairly decent job to establish themselves I would expect combo players to be the norm eventually and for one format to simply die off. At that point it won't matter how much of your collection is one or the other since it will still work and still look as good as the other.
Old 11-08-06, 08:26 AM
Banned

Old 11-08-06, 10:02 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are we really going to get stuck with both formats?

Im in a bit of a dilemma. I want to get an HD-DVD for my xbox but some movies I really want to see are listed for BD. If BD takes 5 years to fail does that mean I wont be able to get my movies on HD-DVD for 5 years?

Should I just accept that at this point its going to be both or none (for my home theater)?
Old 11-08-06, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
Are we really going to get stuck with both formats?

Im in a bit of a dilemma. I want to get an HD-DVD for my xbox but some movies I really want to see are listed for BD. If BD takes 5 years to fail does that mean I wont be able to get my movies on HD-DVD for 5 years?

Should I just accept that at this point its going to be both or none (for my home theater)?
Well, I think there will definitely be one, but I wouldn't at all be surprised if there were always 2 formats. I'm not sure this is such a bad thing either, if a dual format player comes out. It's possible (though I'm not holding out hope) that having 2 formats will drive each side to make their discs the best they possible can, and maybe get prices down a little faster.
Old 11-08-06, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by her34
yes we'd all like it if only 1 format was made for HD but given that a war was inevitable, what thing do you wish were different?
Well, the war starts later this month. Perhaps. Maybe next year. So I think you need to change your verb tenses.
Old 11-08-06, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Spiky
Well, the war starts later this month. Perhaps. Maybe next year. So I think you need to change your verb tenses.
Has Sony sent out the "The War Has Officially Started" memo yet?
Old 11-08-06, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

J6P sends the memo. I haven't seen it, yet. And if he never does, there is no war.
Old 11-08-06, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The only thing i wish for is complete studio neutrality. The studios picking sides crap is lame and childish and they should just let the consumers decide for themselves but i guess that might be asking too much for some people.
Old 11-08-06, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Kocheese99
The studios picking sides crap is lame and childish
That's actually a great description of most business dealings these days.
Old 11-08-06, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Kocheese99
The only thing i wish for is complete studio neutrality. The studios picking sides crap is lame and childish and they should just let the consumers decide for themselves but i guess that might be asking too much for some people.
That would be bad for BD because when you have competing products of similar performance, the consumer always picks the cheapest. The only way for BD to justify their price premium is to put out products that can take advantage of it's technical superiority, not products that show that they are equal to the competition. If that doesn't happen, BD will go down as another one of Sony's failed formats.
Old 11-08-06, 12:24 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So will there be a clearer picture of a 'winner' after january?
Old 11-08-06, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Spiky
The best way to cover all the bases is to simply say, "the war starts Real Soon Now".
Old 11-08-06, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

January 2007 is still too soon to call. Definitely by January 2008. My understanding is that the BD camp is sticking with primarily MPeg2 encodings for the near future which precludes any advantages for BD. If they continue on that path, market momentum for HD-DVD will be difficult to overcome. At that point, it will be hard for the BD exclusives to remain exclusive.
Old 11-08-06, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
This "war" started and has been going on for a few years now. The big battle however is about to begin.
Old 11-08-06, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No, just whether there is a war. Compare to SACD vs DVD-Audio. "Gentlemen, we regret to inform you the war is off. No one showed up to fight."

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
This "war" started and has been going on for a few years now.
Well, in board rooms, yes. Not yet for consumers, which is what most of us care about. Nor on income statements, which is what most investors will care about.
Old 11-08-06, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Yeah, I guess the 'war' has been going on mostly 'behind the scenes' [to the customer], and it's mostly a draw.
HDDVD has some momentum and had a better launch and hardware pricing and the Xbox thing; BD has Sony/PS3, and technically better specs for the most part; and a big thing--it seems to have more B&M store buy-in/support, from what I can see. That could hurt HDDVD a lot.
What I "wish"? I wish they agreed on one format, that has the best of both worlds--specs/space of BD, initial cost of HD, and all the studios [Disney is one I'm worried about], and that you could do more with component.
Old 11-09-06, 02:47 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm still confused as to how either of the points made by the OP in any way relate to the current format war. Both do 1080p and HDMI is completely independent of it.
Old 11-09-06, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
This "war" started and has been going on for a few years now. The big battle however is about to begin.
Brings to mind something I heard once...

What if we had a war and nobody showed up?

None of my friends could tell you what HD-DVD or Blu Ray is. They are perfectly happy with DVD. They won't even be concerned with HDTV until the TV they have dies (the 2009 deadline doesn't mean anything to them, they have cable). I think they are representative of your average middle class consumers.

I'm beginning to wonder if HDDVD will be a niche market until the next quantum leap comes along... Flash memory maybe. Your movie on something the size of an SD card?

Just my .02, and probably not worth that.
Old 11-09-06, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by LilDears
I'm beginning to wonder if HDDVD will be a niche market until the next quantum leap comes along...
HD-DVD/Blu-Ray is here to stay and will replace DVD. The reason is the copy protection. They're losing billions to pirates every year and the sooner they get people to switch over, the better. Expect to see heavy promotions in the near future.
Old 11-09-06, 11:14 AM
Cool New Member

Will I be able to buy a region free version ofthe HD/BD players.
Old 11-09-06, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I'm still confused as to how either of the points made by the OP in any way relate to the current format war. Both do 1080p and HDMI is completely independent of it.
I'm not sure if the OP was saying he wanted 1080p output on all players, or if he didn't want any interlaced video support, period, on any players.

The second wouldn't be feasible because there is still a lot of content that is interlaced (extras shot on video, for instance), and they need to support 480i to be backwards compatible with SD TVs. It's also kind of important that they are able to just copy over their existing extras to the discs. While they could save space if they re-encode them using a modern codec, it does cost money to do that, and that could lead to things being left off discs.
Old 11-09-06, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by James Wilson
Will I be able to buy a region free version ofthe HD/BD players.
HD DVDs are not region coded. An HD DVD purchased from Japan or Europe will function in an American player. Blu-rays are region-coded, but it's a bit less restrictive than the DVD model. Blu-rays from Japan fall into the same region as the US, for example.

Both HD DVD or Blu-ray players do enforce standard DVD region coding, however. If you want an HD player that's region-free for standard DVD playback, no that's not available.
Old 11-09-06, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Drexl
I'm not sure if the OP was saying he wanted 1080p output on all players, or if he didn't want any interlaced video support, period, on any players.
Whether he knew it or not, I think he meant TVs rather than players. Or maybe old content.
Old 11-10-06, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by GMan2819
HD-DVD/Blu-Ray is here to stay and will replace DVD. The reason is the copy protection. They're losing billions to pirates every year and the sooner they get people to switch over, the better. Expect to see heavy promotions in the near future.
If they've developed unbreakable copy protection, maybe they should start working on cold fusion next.

My point was that they can push it all they want, but the consumer is in the driver's seat. Even if they can get the price point down to current DVDs and players (and I don't see that happening), most people won't have a compatible TV for a long time. And nobody is complaining about having to rewind a DVD or pay $100 for a movie they love (as was the case with VHS vs DVD).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.