Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Laser TV — the Death of Plasma?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-06, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

From slashdot:
http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.../10/11/0214254

"As reported in major news outlets yesterday in Australia (The Age, the Herald Sun), a new television technology has been developed which is touted (by the developers) as far and away superior to both plasma and LCD. From The Age: 'With a worldwide launch date scheduled for Christmas 2007, under recognisable brands like Mitsubishi and Samsung, Novalux chief executive Jean-Michel Pelaprat is so bold as to predict the death of plasma. "If you look at any screen today, the color content is roughly about 30-35 per cent of what the eye can see," he said. "But for the very first time with a laser TV we'll be able to see 90 per cent of what the eye can see. All of a sudden what you see is a lifelike image on display."' The developing company, Arasor International, is said to be listing on the Australian stock exchange shortly."
Presumably it'll be an HDTV so I put it in this forum. Thoughts? Are plasma and LCD gonna be outdated soon??
Old 10-11-06, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hope so, because they just dont look that good to me. ( I have an old fashioned RPTV/HDTV)

When I look at the plasmas and LCDs in the store they look grainy. Is it because I'm too close?

Oh well, I'll welcome Laser TV if its:

1. As good as it sounds
2. In the price ballpark with plasma and LCD
Old 10-11-06, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
No way, not anytime soon. With the price levels they are dropping to and many people already having purchased their first HDTVs, it will be a long time before any new technology is widely accepted and purchased.
Old 10-11-06, 09:29 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not likely. The death of LCD and Plasma has been touted long before with SED, but we still haven't seen that come to pass. The fact is, LCD and Plasma are getting cheaper every day. They are slowly but surely replacing CRT as the standard. If anything These new display technologies (SED, Laser, and 4K) will only help that situation. The only thing that will die is CRT (by being replaced with cheap LCD and Plasma), but its memory will live on in products like Plasma which use similar technology.
Old 10-11-06, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Unfortunate that the best looking tech is the one dying, huh? Stupid consumers. It would be nice to see SED exit vaporware status, but I'm not volunteering to hold my breath til it does.
Old 10-11-06, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cornflakeguy
I hope so, because they just dont look that good to me. ( I have an old fashioned RPTV/HDTV)
Please tell me that you aren't comparing your RPTV to a plasma or LCD.
Old 10-11-06, 10:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Why not?
Old 10-11-06, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
My RPTV, properly calibrated, blows a lot of plasma and LCD displays out of the water. Now, this may not be your plasma display but I've seen enough screen-door effects and other problems in other TVs that I can say that my RPTV is still better than a lot of stuff readily available to the consumer market (your Best Buys, Circuit Citys, etc.) I've been wanting to upgrade for a while now but simply can't find anything at a reasonable cost that would make me want to do that jump.

I have an LCD for gaming and general TV use in the bedroom, and I'm very happy with the brightness of the display, but it's not very good when faced with darker scenes.

<hr>

Here's an idea I was thinking about recently... Why do TV makers for big TVs limit the resolution to full HDTV? Why not double that resolution and simply upscale to, say, 2160P? Isn't that something that would be a bonus for people with mammoth 70" TVs?
Old 10-11-06, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I will only say that I have yet to personally see a RPTV that has impressed me more than my Panasonic Plasma.
Old 10-11-06, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll echo other comments: why?

My RPTV provides better picture quality than every plasma or LCD I've ever seen. I welcome "laser TVs" if it is going to allow me to bypass the whole plasma/lcd thing whenever I eventually upgrade. I'm not impressed with what I'm seeing.
Old 10-11-06, 11:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by The Bus
Here's an idea I was thinking about recently... Why do TV makers for big TVs limit the resolution to full HDTV? Why not double that resolution and simply upscale to, say, 2160P? Isn't that something that would be a bonus for people with mammoth 70" TVs?
http://www.cepro.com/news/editorial/16016.html
Old 10-11-06, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
a new television technology has been developed which is touted (by the developers) as far and away superior to both plasma and LCD.
And it's called DLP.
Old 10-11-06, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cornflakeguy
When I look at the plasmas and LCDs in the store they look grainy. Is it because I'm too close?
It's primarily because stores don't bother to calibrate the TVs on display. They mostly just jack up the Brightness and Contrast to their highest settings, which will make the picture look grainy.
Old 10-11-06, 01:22 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
There's only one TV that has the best blacks and great contrast...RPTV! Professionally calibrated, nothing on the market beats it!
Old 10-11-06, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I haven't seen anything that looks better to me than a CRT! My Sony tube HD set looks far better to me than any of my friends and relatives LCD, RPTV or Plasma sets.

In many ways it seems we are going backward: the new technologies make the sets cooler when they're OFF, but the picture is worse. If I could find one to satisfy me, I'd buy one now. Recommendations?
Old 10-11-06, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I prefer my CRT RPTV as well. However, viewing angle is a weakness with this type of TV. The blacks on LCD are terrible, not to mention how hard/impossible it is to find a 1080 LCD or Plasma flat screen at a decent size.

DLP seems to be what many are going with, but honestly I think SED will hit the market and will be the next TV I buy.
Old 10-11-06, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Z
And it's called DLP.
That was sarcasm, right??
Old 10-11-06, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by darkside
I prefer my CRT RPTV as well. However, viewing angle is a weakness with this type of TV. The blacks on LCD are terrible, not to mention how hard/impossible it is to find a 1080 LCD or Plasma flat screen at a decent size.
Well, what is a decent size? You want big or small? You can get plasma in 1080 as small as 50", now. And as big as 100. LCD starts with the 1080s at under 40" and goes to nearly as large as plasma. You will pay through the nose for any of these large ones.

In a month or so, you'll be able to get both DLP and LCD in 1080 in any size you want over 40". It's called front projection. LCOS is available already. And you'd be amazed how $30 tweaks will fix black level on these technologies.

Oh, and you can get a fabulous computer displays at 1080 or higher resolution in 30" and smaller, too. Although connections can be an issue, but there are ways around that. These would all be LCD.
Old 10-11-06, 08:47 PM
Banned by request

I'm buying a second CRT RP next month because I think after this year we won't see any more new ones being made domestically, and I want my CRT, damn it!

And DVD Josh, just because you haven't personally seen a CRT that looks better than LCD/Plasma doesn't mean the technology itself is worse. It's kind of like saying the only dog I've seen is a poodle, therefore, all dogs are tiny.
Old 10-11-06, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Weird, the last poodle in our family was 3' tall. I'd hate to see what you call a big dog!
Old 10-11-06, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Spiky
That was sarcasm, right??
About being better than LCD or plasma? No, not sarcastic in the slightest.
Old 10-12-06, 12:04 AM
Banned by request

DLP is a much better technology for blacks and color reproduction than LCD or Plasma, plus it doesn't suffer burn in. But even then it still pales in comparison to CRT, especially when you factor in having to replace the bulb every few years. I do believe that Mitsubishi, who is currently making only DLP and LCD, is dropping DLP in favor of lasers next year.
Old 10-12-06, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
SED is coming, really, it is ....
Old 10-12-06, 12:09 AM
Banned by request

All of this is why I'm picking up a second CRT.
Old 10-12-06, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
heheheh...I'm by no means a display expert.

But I know what I like.

So yeah, I would put my 46" HD RPTV against many LCD and Plasmas. I know two friends of mine that have plasmas, and they look great.....from about 20 feet away.

If I could buy (and lift) a 65" CRT HDTV I'd rather have that because that would be the best of all.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.