Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Do they make a Component to RGB cable?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-06, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need a Component to RGB cable for one of my LCD TVs that will only accept HD through RBG. Any help would be great!
Old 10-01-06, 11:52 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm sure I'll be branded an HT idiot for this, but isn't component the same thing as RGB? Each component cable controls one of those three colors.
Old 10-02-06, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Are you talking about a cable with 15-pin VGA plug on one end and RCA component plugs on the other? I believe that's called a "breakout cable", and they're not too terribly hard to come by. Bettercables has 'em.
Old 10-02-06, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you're trying to send a Component signal to an RGBHV port, simply using a Component->RGB cable won't work. You need to use a Component->RGBHV transcoder.
Old 10-02-06, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On a similar note, do they make a VGA -> HDMI adapter? I've seen VGA -> DVI and DVI -> HDMI but I'd like to skip that middle step.
Old 10-02-06, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by edstein
On a similar note, do they make a VGA -> HDMI adapter? I've seen VGA -> DVI and DVI -> HDMI but I'd like to skip that middle step.
VGA is analog and HDMI is digital. You need more than a simple adaptor.

DVI can be either digital or analog. The VGA-to-DVI adaptors only work with DVI-A signals, the analog type, which is rarely used. They won't work with DVI-D, the more common digital type.

Similarly, to change component (which is YPbPr) to RGB, you need a transcoder, not a simple adaptor. The confusion here stems from the fact that the VGA inputs on many video projectors will accept either YPbPr or RGB. If the input accepts YPbPr, all you need is a simple adaptor. If it only accepts RGB, you need a transcoder.

Last edited by Josh Z; 10-02-06 at 08:49 AM.
Old 10-02-06, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Z
VGA is analog and HDMI is digital. You need more than a simple adaptor.

DVI can be either digital or analog. The VGA-to-DVI adaptors only work with DVI-A signals, the analog type, which is rarely used. They won't work with DVI-D, the more common digital type.
There's a little more to this. You have to have a video card that will output a VGA signal over DVI, like any Intel Mac has. DVI-A does not necessarily mean VGA compatibility.
Old 10-02-06, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I see. I was looking for a solution to hook my 360 vga cable to my HDMI inputs on my reciever. Which will ultimately end up connected to a projector with both HDMI and VGA inputs. I was just trying to avoid routing more than one cable to the projector.
Old 10-02-06, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by edstein
I see. I was looking for a solution to hook my 360 vga cable to my HDMI inputs on my reciever. Which will ultimately end up connected to a projector with both HDMI and VGA inputs. I was just trying to avoid routing more than one cable to the projector.
Will the receiver transcode the analog Component output from the XBox to HDMI? Some will, some won't.
Old 10-02-06, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Will the receiver transcode the analog Component output from the XBox to HDMI? Some will, some won't.
My reciever has 3 component inputs and 3 HDMI inputs. My 360 is using a component input now, which the reciever can transcode. But, no upconversion through component. I thought with the VGA cable I could free up one of those component inputs and get the benefits of the higher resolution VGA cable too.