Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Army of Darkness HD-DVD question

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-06, 01:19 PM
AOD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all. I was wondering if anyone had any info on the 10/10 release of Army of Darkness? My question concerns the quality. Is the transfer struck from the same print as my 6 R1 Universal/Anchor Bay releases or is it going to be from the VASTLY superior R3 print? Seing as how this is set to be a combo disc, if the R3 print is used, everyone with only a SD dvd player could get the best picture possible also along with the HD copy. Any info would be appreciated.
Old 09-29-06, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Presumably it's the same transfer that was used for the high-def presentation on Universal HD. It's the theatrical cut, and this disc doesn't include any extras.

It's not a transfer from Anchor Bay, for sure: the theatrical cut is 1.66:1 on Anchor Bay's DVD but the usual 1.85:1-ish on Universal HD. I'm not sure if it's the same transfer from Universal's ancient DVD or if it's more newly struck, but it looked awfully nice to my eyes.
Old 09-29-06, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Isn't the R3 print of the director's cut? The HD DVD is of the theatrical version.
Old 09-29-06, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by bboisvert
Isn't the R3 print of the director's cut? The HD DVD is of the theatrical version.
What's the general fan concensus on the theatrical vs. director's cut? I've always thought the director's cut was the better ending.
Old 09-29-06, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Virtually everyone prefers the director's cut, but going against the grain, I lean more towards the leaner theatrical version. Gotta have my "good...bad...I'm the guy with the gun", and I'm a huge fan of the campier ending.
Old 09-29-06, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Virtually everyone prefers the director's cut, but going against the grain, I lean more towards the leaner theatrical version. Gotta have my "good...bad...I'm the guy with the gun", and I'm a huge fan of the campier ending.
So you're the other guy! Yeah, I'm with you. I prefer the pacing of the theatrical better, the funnier 'gun' line, and the campy ending. We're definitely in the minority though.

I still own (and enjoy) the director's cut for what it is. But when I'm popping it on to watch randomly, I almost always go with the theatrical.
Old 09-29-06, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts
Campy ending lover here, too; it fit with the tone of the movie a lot more.
Old 09-29-06, 04:11 PM
AOD

Presumably it's the same transfer that was used for the high-def presentation on Universal HD. It's the theatrical cut, and this disc doesn't include any extras.

It's not a transfer from Anchor Bay, for sure: the theatrical cut is 1.66:1 on Anchor Bay's DVD but the usual 1.85:1-ish on Universal HD. I'm not sure if it's the same transfer from Universal's ancient DVD or if it's more newly struck, but it looked awfully nice to my eyes.
Seeing as how it's going to be a combo disc, which of the two are you saying looked good to your eyes, the SD or HD DVD side? I do not have either a HD-DVD or a Blu-Ray disc player yet, so I will be buying my 8th version of the movie for the SD DVD side (6 R1's and my R3 so far). Does anyone have any reviews or comparisons yet for the HD-DVD combo version? It's good to see it will not be struck from the Anchor Bay print.

Old 09-29-06, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I know someone on AVS claimed they got their hands on a copy of this last week but I can't find the thread now. Anyway, I can't wait to see this as I have never viewed the Universal HD cut before.

AVS thread

BTW, I'm sure your username stands for Army of Darkness, but did you know it was also the original name for HD-dvd? C'mon and join the team.

"Short for Advanced Optical Disc, Blu-ray’s competing HD-DVD technology format. AOD and Blu-ray are similar in that they both use 405nm-wavelength blue-violet laser technology, in contrast to the 650nm-wavelength red laser technology used in traditional DVD formats. However, while Blu-ray has a storage capacity of 27GB on a single-layer disc, AOD has a storage capacity of 20GB on a single-layer disc.
AOD was developed jointly by Toshiba and NEC."
Old 09-29-06, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
I know someone on AVS claimed they got their hands on a copy of this last week but I can't find the thread now.
It was Cliff Stephenson in this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2&page=1&pp=30
Old 09-29-06, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
It was Cliff Stephenson in this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2&page=1&pp=30
Good Find! Thanks!
Old 09-29-06, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by AOD
Seeing as how it's going to be a combo disc, which of the two are you saying looked good to your eyes, the SD or HD DVD side?
Sorry, I meant the version that aired on Universal's high-definition channel, Universal HD. Presumably it'll be that same transfer, although it'll look better on HD DVD than it did on cable.

I'll be tackling the HD DVD as soon as Universal starts shipping out copies to reviewers.
Old 09-29-06, 06:35 PM

Agreed I also liked the theatrical release ending better. I didnt not like the director's cut ending but really do prefer the original. Cant wait to get my hands on this one.

PS..
Old 09-29-06, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also like the theatrical version better because of the ending, and the "good, bad...I'm the guy with the gun" line.
Old 09-29-06, 09:46 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I prefer the "guy with the gun line" about a million times more than the "I'm not that good" line, but I do prefer the downer ending. While the campy ending is more fun, Ash screwing himself the way he does in the downer ending fits much better with the overall tone of the series.
Old 09-29-06, 11:07 PM
AOD

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
I know someone on AVS claimed they got their hands on a copy of this last week but I can't find the thread now. Anyway, I can't wait to see this as I have never viewed the Universal HD cut before.

AVS thread

BTW, I'm sure your username stands for Army of Darkness, but did you know it was also the original name for HD-dvd? C'mon and join the team.

"Short for Advanced Optical Disc, Blu-ray’s competing HD-DVD technology format. AOD and Blu-ray are similar in that they both use 405nm-wavelength blue-violet laser technology, in contrast to the 650nm-wavelength red laser technology used in traditional DVD formats. However, while Blu-ray has a storage capacity of 27GB on a single-layer disc, AOD has a storage capacity of 20GB on a single-layer disc.
AOD was developed jointly by Toshiba and NEC."
Yes you are right. I am sitting back, waiting, to see which format wins the war. I don't want another VHS vs. Beta conflict again. Both formats have their plusses and minuses, but someone has to win out in the end. Not many average Joe's can afford or want two seperate players. Adam, I wait VERY patiently for your review of this combo disc. Could you do us a favor though? Seeing as how it's a combo disc, could you do kind of a "combo review" and look at both the HD and SD cut of the film as compared to previous versions?
Old 09-30-06, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

I don't have the original Universal release or the R3 MGM disc, but I do have the two Anchor Bay ones, and I'll definitely compare it with those.
Old 10-02-06, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
I prefer the international cut, which has most of the extended scenes of the director's cut, but with the better lines like "I'm the one with the gun," bit.
Old 10-05-06, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I picked this up last night along with Fast Times at Ridgemont High. The picture looks a lot better than I was expecting. It's very detailed and film-like. This is the shorter theatrical cut, the same version that was on the Universal DVD. The menus on these discs are relatively boring - just the Universal logo and the title of the film in the corner (they remind me of the generic menus some early DVD releases had). Still, the movies themselves look and sound terrific (Fast Times also looks surprisingly sharp).
Old 10-05-06, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Ralph Jenkins
The menus on these discs are relatively boring - just the Universal logo and the title of the film in the corner (they remind me of the generic menus some early DVD releases had).
Universal switched to this generic menu style some time back. All of their releases use it now.
Old 10-05-06, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Z
Universal switched to this generic menu style some time back. All of their releases use it now.
Tokyo Drift doesn't.
Old 10-05-06, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm sure all of their day & date titles will have a unique menu, along with King Kong.
Old 10-05-06, 03:39 PM

So you're the other guy! Yeah, I'm with you. I prefer the pacing of the theatrical better, the funnier 'gun' line, and the campy ending. We're definitely in the minority though.

I still own (and enjoy) the director's cut for what it is. But when I'm popping it on to watch randomly, I almost always go with the theatrical.
I prefer the director's ending, but otherwise I prefer the theatrical cut all the way, for the above-mentioned reason, as well as for the leaner cut. The end battle in the director's cut gets boring. Sam just didn't have the budget or the ability at the time to make a big battle work.
Old 10-08-06, 07:09 PM
AOD

It's set to be released in two days and some individuals have the retail discs in their hands. Any thorough reviews/comparisons yet? (hint hint Adam?)
Old 10-10-06, 07:47 PM
AOD

Today's the day. Any info on reviews?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.