Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Possible Solution to Dual Format War?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-06, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Looks like there may be a possible solution to the HD/Blu-Ray format war according to this article:

Reuters
Old 09-19-06, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sounds interesting. guess we will see if it actually works. would it play on a regular dvd player and how much will it affect the cost would be my questions.
Old 09-19-06, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Until some sort of solution and/or compromise kicks in, I suspect sales will be slow for both formats. Anyone seen any sales figures? (Though I imagine the powers that be would not want sales info out there just yet.)
Old 09-19-06, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I feel so obsolete.
Old 09-20-06, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The "multilayer dual optical disk" would have one layer of data in the standard CD or DVD format, a second layer able to play one high-capacity format and a third layer for the competing high-capacity format.
So you're limited to 4.7GB for DVD, 15 GB for HD DVD and 25 GB for Blu-ray? No thanks.
Old 09-20-06, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Worst of all 3 worlds!
Old 09-20-06, 01:41 AM

Sounds complicated. They can't get a dual layer DVD working right most of the time so I can't see many disc makers jumping on this bandwagon as it's them that have to do the investing.

For the moment HD-DVD looks the consumer winner because the discs are so easy to make with very little investment from the disc makers.

I notice every DVD recorder that's been released lately from the majors records on all types of DVDs (+R and DVD-R) and that's them realising it's just easier for the consumer.

I think we'll have HD-DVD and Blu-Ray and they'll merge into one new super format eventually. In the meantime (5 years?) I'll be sticking with DVD.
Old 09-20-06, 02:17 AM

It would be alot easier if they just made dual HD-DVD And Blu Ray Players.
Old 09-20-06, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

what a waste... as pointed out, that give you very little space to work with.
Old 09-20-06, 10:28 AM

yep. while neat, it is useless since it would have single layer of each and defeats the whole point for us users. All this woudl do is help out warner with production costs and save space for stores. Sorry, I don't give a crap if they have to shell out more cash for multiple versions.

I also fail to see how this is a "solution" to the dual format war...you still need a hd and bluray player so this solves nothing. I guess the only semi solution it would have is you would have the movie in whatever format "wins" but the negatives far outweigh that positive.
Old 09-20-06, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
The possible solution to the dual format war doesn't start until Sony says it does.
Old 09-20-06, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

At this point, Sony has nothing to gain and a lot to lose by allowing dual format to become the "norm" like DVD+-R has.

If Dual format takes over, why would any content provider make BD discs when the equivalent HD DVD is much cheaper to manufacture? Thos "agnostic" studios would flip really quick leaving BD in the dust.

Maybe a few years from now, dual-format players will be viable, but it won't happen until Sony gets BD production costs down or they are ready to wave the white flag on BD.
Old 09-20-06, 02:58 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Also, I don't see how this solution would convince the BD-only studios to release their stuff on HD. This "solution" has got to be more expensive than a SL BD.
Old 09-20-06, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Anyone else find these types of solutions insulting? The onus is always on the consumer to work through the problems presented by a format war or general incompatibility issues. How about instead of it being our job to invest in more expensive dual players, add-on's or accept the compromise of reduced disc space, you assholes just settle on one damn format! Thanks, but no thanks.