Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Inexpensive HDTV OTA Tuner?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-06, 09:40 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It appears that next month the local networks will finally be broadcasting in HD in my area. I currently have a Samsung Slimfit in my livingroom, wich has a built in tuner, so I'm all set there. But I thought it would also be nice to be able to watch these chanels on my second TV, which is just a regular 4x3 SDTV without an ATSC tuner.

I would prefer to have a tuner that's inexpensive, but I also don't want to skimp out on the features important to me. I'd like it to have the following:
* ATSC and QAM support
* Firewire output
* RF, Composite, S-Video, Component 480i outputs (any 2 of the 4 listed)

My prefernce order for features beyond ATSC is Firewire, QAM, and finally full range of output options.

This doesn't necesarily have to be a new unit. I have actually been browsing ebay for a couple weeks, but I don't really know what exactly I'm looking for.

Any suggestions?
Old 09-19-06, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Are you wanting to watch the HD channels on your SD TV? You can only watch them on an HD TV.
Old 09-19-06, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's getting harder to find a standalone tuner since they are coming out in almost every HDTV, now. They are back up to $250+ new. If you want one, you'd better get one fast. As I recall, LG models were popular and solid.

A still-functional Voom receiver is an option, but I don't know if you can still find them on the market. They will work if they were NOT shut off when Voom collapsed.
Old 09-19-06, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah, don't know about cheap. I love the Samsung box I have (no firewire though) and I just added an ATI HDTV tuner to my PC. The PC tuner works great for regular TV shows, but definitely is lacking on fast moving sports. It is nice to record shows in HD on my PC.
Old 09-25-06, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
I bought a Samsung SIR-T451 HD Tuner pretty cheaply on eBay recently and it has both ATSC and QAM (no CableCard slot though, so the signal has to be unencrypted). And can output the picture via DVI (Digital), S-Video, component, composite, and RGB. It also can output resolutions of 480i/480p/720p/1080i, as well as digital audio via Toslink or Coax. However, it doesn't have Firewire output.

Last edited by dhmac; 09-25-06 at 09:24 AM.
Old 09-25-06, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was just going to tell you that a VOOM box may be your best bet if you can still find one. I use mine on occasion, my brother has my second box. If I had more I would hepl you out. They used to go real cheap on eBay, but I have not looked in a while.