Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Corpse Bride Review

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Corpse Bride Review

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-06, 08:07 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Corpse Bride Review

This title is on my wish list, and after reading the review, I'm definitely pre-ordering.

Detail and depth are also master class. A noticeable improvement over the standard-def release, the finest details of the animation are clearly visible, from the fine etchings on picture frames to the flowing, intricate stitching of the Corpse Bride's bridal gown. I was also impressed by how three-dimensional the image appears. I don't recall a single shot ever looking anything less that eye-popping, and the transfer does not suffer from any inconsistencies in sharpness -- which is rather surprising for a stop-motion animated film, which often utilize CGI-assisted blurring and other trickery to help smooth out movement.
Read the Review
Old 09-18-06, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sounds great! It's good that both formats are getting some great-looking titles to crow about.

Slightly OT, but I'm assuming the same transfer/encoding will be used for the HD DVD, but why isn't there a release date yet?
Old 09-18-06, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by RoboDad
Sounds great! It's good that both formats are getting some great-looking titles to crow about.

Slightly OT, but I'm assuming the same transfer/encoding will be used for the HD DVD, but why isn't there a release date yet?
Yep, same transfer. Amir just stated today that he has a copy of the Hd-dvd version so it should be coming soon.
Old 09-18-06, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally Posted by RoboDad
I read that it's supposed to have some IME features, so maybe that's taking some additional time.
Old 09-18-06, 09:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I read that it's supposed to have some IME features, so maybe that's taking some additional time.
Or it's just another GNGL situation. It will be on HD DVD soon.
Old 09-18-06, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Corpse Bride Oct 10th ... Happy now?
Old 09-18-06, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Can't wait. Granted CG animation already looks great even on regular DVD, but I will get these (including Polar Express) on HD DVD as well.
Old 09-18-06, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by darkside
Can't wait. Granted CG animation already looks great ....
This is stop-motion, not CGI, although there's a handful of CGI elements in it.
Old 09-18-06, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And it's some of the most sophisticated stop motion animation ever conceived, too. The whole film (with the obvious exception of the CG effects) was shot using Canon digital SLR cameras, using a process previously thought to be impossible. Now it's all the buzz for the future of this type of film-making.
Old 09-19-06, 01:11 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
What process, exactly? It sounds the same as the old style process, but with SLR cameras instead of traditional film cameras. I'm not trying to be contentious, I'm honestly curious.

And hopefully the HD DVD will have IME.
Old 09-19-06, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you read through the article at http://www.stopmotionworks.com/artic...dstrpdbare.htm, there is a lot of information about the process. Here are some of the details from the article:

While in London working on Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, effects consultant Chris Watts happened to have dinner with Warner Bros. visual effects senior vice president Chris deFaria and Corpse Bride producer Abbate. “While discussing Corpse Bride, for some reason, I just assumed it was being shot with digital still cameras,” says Watts. “Chris deFaria is an accomplished photographer and saw the possibilities immediately.” Director of Photography Pete Kozachik and his team had been considering digital acquisition, but not with off-the-shelf SLR cameras as Watts proposed. With the beginning of photography only a month away, digital SLR camera testing began. There were many unknowns:

• Are images from a digital still camera consistent frame to frame?
• Is the quality comparable to film?
• Is the image quality stable under different thermal and humidity conditions?
• Could a system be devised for previewing animations on set?
• Could a system be devised to keep track of all the frames?
• Could a live video tap be created for a digital still camera?
The main reasons that it was thought to be impossible (or at least, highly improbable) were the unknowns regarding the image quality, consistency and stability from frame to frame. With the custom film cameras that had been used for decades, these were known quantities, and the stop motion teams knew how to work with them. Digital SLRs were a completely untried stop motion medium, and there was a considerable amount of skepticism as to whether they could be made to deliver quality animation.

As a still photographer (amateur artist, not professional), and a Canon devotee, I followed this with great interest.
Old 09-19-06, 01:49 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I can imagine. The film looked great when I saw it in the theater and apparently the BD looks fantastic, so kudos to them.
Old 09-19-06, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oct. 10th looking to be a pricey day. Man, back are the days of massive movie buyings ...It was so nice to have a "vacation" for a while. I know the wife is going to regret the words "Well, if you really need the HD-DVD player..."
Old 09-26-06, 11:08 AM
Banned

A bad review by one of the forum members at AVS:

Originally Posted by Dolphc
Just to give a heads up, I just finished watching CB and while it is a good release, it certainly is not a "reference" disc as many seem to be touting. First off, there is minimal posterization, from time to time, on the disc. A good example is the very first Wb logo as the movie starts (not the first WB intro that starts every disc). As it fades in and out, you can see the posterization in the grey cloud patterns.

More disheartening is the occurance of noise in the backgrounds at certain times during the presentation. Look at around 8:45 - 9:00 in and it is easily noticable as I would consider that instance moderate to severe, and very, very distracting. I was hoping for a homerun here, but alas, this is not it.

The transfer is certainly not all bad as the blacks can't get any richer or darker, color fidelity is outstanding, even with the intentionally subdued pallette, and depth and sharpness are always outstanding, so there are clearly som excellent attributes to be found, but the above issues keep it from being perfect.

Certain reviewers are really getting lazy with their analysis, seeming to only write the same bullshit video review for every disc only changing the paragraph structure to look fresh. I'm sure the ever reliable Josh Z, and Home Theater Spot group will come to this conclusion once they are able to obtain their review copies, but until then, buyers looking for a perfect disc may be left wanting more.
Now I got to figure out if I need to cancel my Amazon order or not.
Old 09-26-06, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by joshd2012
A bad review by one of the forum members at AVS:

Now I got to figure out if I need to cancel my Amazon order or not.
While I'm all for the best picture, audio, and extras possible... I'm not going to freak out if it isn't 100% perfect. Few transfers are -- there's always something that could have been a little bit better.

Content is king. If I like Corpse Bride, I'm going to order it. (I do and I did.)

I'm not going to cancel the order because someone is reporting that the BD has "minimal posterization, from time to time" and "noise in the backgrounds at certain times during the presentation". He doesn't say it looks like crap, he's saying that there are a few issues with the transfer. (I'll be curious to see if the HD DVD edition is similar.)

If you like the film, you'd seriously skip it because of this? If so, you're not going to have too many discs in your collection.
Old 09-26-06, 11:33 AM
Banned

Yeah, I am probably over-reacting. The encoder "CJPlay" did this title, and even Amir says it looks outstanding. I'll keep it on order (though for some reason it won't ship until October).

Note: The BD and HD DVD versions are exactly the same, just like all Warner discs (not including the first wave).
Old 09-26-06, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Could the problems with it be the Samsung player? Anyway it doesn't sound horrible, but since I already have it on DVD I may wait awhile to pick it up. Batman and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory are higher priority purchases right now.
Old 09-26-06, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Note: The BD and HD DVD versions are exactly the same, just like all Warner discs (not including the first wave).
Well, probably true... but it is supposition until someone actually gets the HD DVD and compares.
Old 09-26-06, 12:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by darkside
Could the problems with it be the Samsung player? Anyway it doesn't sound horrible, but since I already have it on DVD I may wait awhile to pick it up. Batman and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory are higher priority purchases right now.
The only problem with the Samsung player is that the NR setting is automatically on and not user controlled. You can by-pass this, as many have, by using the component out.

I too am getting excited about Batman and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory!
Old 09-26-06, 12:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bboisvert
Well, probably true... but it is supposition until someone actually gets the HD DVD and compares.
Amir has confirmed this.
Old 09-26-06, 12:07 PM
Banned

Amir has confirmed this.
Really? I thought you had discredited him in another thread.

Funny how that works.
Old 09-26-06, 12:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
Really? I thought you had discredited him in another thread.

Funny how that works.
His ability to spread FUD? Yes. His ability to call up Warner Brothers and get the answer from the source? No.
Old 09-26-06, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by bboisvert
While I'm all for the best picture, audio, and extras possible... I'm not going to freak out if it isn't 100% perfect. Few transfers are -- there's always something that could have been a little bit better.

Content is king. If I like Corpse Bride, I'm going to order it. (I do and I did.)

I'm not going to cancel the order because someone is reporting that the BD has "minimal posterization, from time to time" and "noise in the backgrounds at certain times during the presentation". He doesn't say it looks like crap, he's saying that there are a few issues with the transfer. (I'll be curious to see if the HD DVD edition is similar.)

If you like the film, you'd seriously skip it because of this? If so, you're not going to have too many discs in your collection.
Great take, I agree. And just cause ONE person doesn't like the BD version doesn't mean the HD-DVD won't look great on my system. Nothing against AVS, but there are a lot of very picky people over there (see Enter The Dragon).
Old 09-26-06, 12:26 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Hammer99
Nothing against AVS, but there are a lot of very picky people over there (see Enter The Dragon).
picky and a little anal if you ask me.
Old 09-26-06, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I can see that if I ever do end up getting into BD, I will probably netflix all titles I want to buy before I buy. We'll have to see what the HD-DVD sounds like from the reviews, but so far I haven't found a newer release that didn't look great.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.