Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

What are your "killer" exclusives for either format?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-06, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I just realized that Jurassic Park is by Universal. I had been thinking for a while what film they have that, if I did not have HD DVD already, would make me want to get HD DVD. It's not Jurassic Park though. The movie, me being a huge fan of the book, was extremely disappointing. But it seems that this is one of Universal's A-list titles and you think they'd make a big push for it early. Or maybe people are Jurassic Parked-out.

Looking over their "list of notable releases", I picked out Do the Right Thing as a movie I'd love to see on HD and would have to own.

What are some of your favorite gotta-get-em movies from each of the four major one-format studios?
Old 09-08-06, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll squeel like a school girl when Jurassic Park becomes availible Definate format seller.
Old 09-08-06, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If we ever get to a situation where Fox has released the Alien movies, Die Hard movies, and Star Wars movies as BD only (and they actually look good)... I'd have to seriously consider picking up a player.

I'm pretty sure that those titles are a couple of years away... so who knows what the future holds.
Old 09-08-06, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would definately agree with Alien as well. One of my all time favorites.
Old 09-08-06, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think quality releases of Spiderman and Spiderman 2 might get me to purchase a BD player. Those would look great.

Like others have said, Alien/Aliens, Die Hard trilogy, Star Wars for fox.

Back to the Future trilogy and Jurassic Park trilogy would be big for Universal and HD-DVD.

The Pixar films and Pirates of the Carribean movies will be big for BD if Disney stays exclusive.
Old 09-08-06, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by bboisvert
If we ever get to a situation where Fox has released the Alien movies, Die Hard movies, and Star Wars movies as BD only (and they actually look good)... I'd have to seriously consider picking up a player.

I'm pretty sure that those titles are a couple of years away... so who knows what the future holds.
I have a feeling that the Die Hard films will be released next fall when the new sequel is released.

It's a love it or hate it title, but I would love to have Moulin Rouge. Aside from being one of my favorite movies, it's a great-looking DVD, and it would be amazing in HD with better sound.

The thing about Jurassic Park is that it's a Steven Spielberg title, and he's one of the few directors that have the power to dictate whether his films can be released or not. I still think there's a possibility that he's not allowing his titles to be released at this point. He did it for DVD, and he may be doing it again. AFAIK, there haven't been any rumors of any films he directed or even produced yet (BTTF is one of these), and I don't think that's a coincidence.
Old 09-08-06, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Drexl
AFAIK, there haven't been any rumors of any films he directed or even produced yet (BTTF is one of these), and I don't think that's a coincidence.
This is true. But, it also may be a bit easier to convince him to release on HD-DVD. I think it was a bigger deal when DVD was out due to the ability to include special features and so on. Now, they could easily just port over all the special features. If he is wanting to revisit them, thats where the hold up will be. We'll see I guess.

When the money is there to be made, they will release them.
Old 09-08-06, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Star Trek stuff is probably the only stuff that would make me buy a format.
Old 09-08-06, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by kvrdave
Star Trek stuff is probably the only stuff that would make me buy a format.
The movies are supposedly coming out in Nov in a huge boxset on hd-dvd....does anyone know if Paramount is planning a simultaneous BD release?
Old 09-08-06, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts
PotC would be huge. Perfect Storm would have been a seller for me if the disc hadn't gotten awful reviews (I'm from the area and really like the film for some reason). I don't know how much better a HD/BD could look but if one were to release Halloween or maybe Hallween 1&2 in one set I would buy a player that day regardless of which format it was and would probably need a few tissues once I got it home.
Old 09-08-06, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Leon
Kill Bill
Silence of The Lambs
Old 09-08-06, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by matome
Kill Bill
Kill Bill the Whole Bloody Affair: Uncut on hd-dvd would be awesome!!
Old 09-08-06, 03:13 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Correction: Will be awesome. I'm pretty sure I heard the Weinstein company is HD only.
Old 09-08-06, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Since I already own HD DVD, there doesn't technically need to be any "killer" exclusive to that format, although I would certainly welcome anyclassics that Universal cares to release, such as BTTF .

Regarding BD, as I mentioned in another thread (that quickly degenerated into another round of chest thumping), my biggest "killer" exclusive right now is Pirates of the Caribbean (either or both, or all three if Disney waits that long). Once those titles are released, I'm going to find it impossible to resist the temptation of purchasing a BD player*.

* Note: This does assume, of course, that a) the issues with BD50 have been resolved before such as released is announced, b) at least SOME form of price break is available for a standalone BD player below their current astronomical levels, and c) Disney has not announced by that point that they are also supporting HD DVD.
Old 09-08-06, 06:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Correction: Will be awesome. I'm pretty sure I heard the Weinstein company is HD only.
Yes they are. But Kill Bill is Miramax.
Old 09-08-06, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
The way I understand it, the Kill Bill volumes are Miramax, but The Weinstein Company owns the rights to The Whole Bloody Affair (if that ever comes out). So, as it is now, both formats would be needed if you want all of the editions.
Old 09-08-06, 10:38 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
If Blu-Ray release Buffy (The Show), Angel, or Freaks and Geeks I am sold. I will buy one the DAY one of these comes out.
Old 09-09-06, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Drexl
The way I understand it, the Kill Bill volumes are Miramax, but The Weinstein Company owns the rights to The Whole Bloody Affair (if that ever comes out). So, as it is now, both formats would be needed if you want all of the editions.
I'm not interested in owning Kill Bill myself, but this is probably the best example possible of why one of these formats should die in a couple years.
Old 09-09-06, 09:50 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by joshd2012
Yes they are. But Kill Bill is Miramax.
But Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair is Weinstein Company.
Old 09-09-06, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
If Blu-Ray release Buffy (The Show), Angel, or Freaks and Geeks I am sold. I will buy one the DAY one of these comes out.
Buffy was 4:3. I hope they wouldn't crop a release to make it widescreen.
Old 09-09-06, 09:54 AM
Banned by request

The Adventures of Robin Hood is coming out later this year, and is 1.33:1. So I think full-frame material will survive in the new formats.
Old 09-09-06, 11:05 AM
Suspended

Ditto. Of course they would have to not look like complete crap.
Old 09-09-06, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
My guess is Buffy and Angel would be WB or Paramount, which would be either format. Freaks and Geeks is NBC/Universal, so it would be HD-DVD only.
Old 09-09-06, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
My guess is Buffy and Angel would be WB or Paramount, which would be either format. Freaks and Geeks is NBC/Universal, so it would be HD-DVD only.
Buffy and Angel are Fox. They always have been.
Old 09-09-06, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Buffy was 4:3. I hope they wouldn't crop a release to make it widescreen.
It'd be (arguably superfluous) additional information on the left and right of the screen, not cropped.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.