Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

HD Cable with Cablecard problem

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-06, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got HD cable last week. It was just made available in my area. I chose a cablecard to prepare for the Tivo Series 3.

When I first activated the CableCard, everythin was great. I got 17 HD channels perfectly fine. A few days went by and now I lost 4 channels and the remaining 13 were mixed up. The labels stayed the same but there were now different channels in the spots. Today, it seems all the channels are back to their correct numbers but I'm still missing 4 channels. (The TV reads "No Signal.")

I reported it to the cable co and someone called. They had me remove the cablecard and re-insert it. They sent the signal to card to activate it again. It did nothing. Now they want to send someone out to check my cable lines and card/TV.

I told them to wait. It seems to me that if I get 13 of 17 channels and used to get all 17 just fine, it can't be my cable. I live in a 3 year old house. All the cable around me is brand new. The guy on the phone kept saying that splitters or surge protectors could cause this. It doesn't make sense - it seems I'd get all the channels or none. Its not like the 4 channels are all pixelated - they are not there at all.

I'm just not sure the guy they had call me can be trusted.
Old 09-02-06, 12:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cable cards suck. They are very finicky and at least half of all users have had problems with them at one time or another. My cable card quits at least twice a week and I have to eject it and reinsert it to get it working again. Sometimes a firmware update on the TV will fix the problem. If there is no update for your TV and you're fed up with the problems I suggest you just get a set top box.
Old 09-02-06, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I want the 4 channels! How would one apply a firmware update to a TV?
Old 09-02-06, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CRM114
Well, I want the 4 channels! How would one apply a firmware update to a TV?
First check with the manufacturer to find out if one is available. If there is, you will probably be able to setup an appointment for a technician to come over and install it for you. Usually it's just a file they put on a usb flash drive and most people could do it themselves but they won't let you for fear of you bricking the set.