Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest BluRay Info

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-06, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news06/060824b.php

The Blu-ray group had encouraged Disney Home Video to go same street date for both the standard DVD and Blu-ray editions of the year's biggest hit "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest" this December.

Yet, DVD News Room reports that according to an insider, whilst a Blu-ray edition is "in development" the studio is planning a double dip strategy - "The strategy is to hit them up huge this Christmas -- make Pirates be the must have X-Mas DVD gift. Then, present a Blu-ray edition next year".

Part of the split could also be to ready the Blu-ray special features in time - "Director Gore Verbinski will be directly involved. Expect a couple commentaries with "integrated branching" -- one from the talent, the other focused on SFX".
Old 08-24-06, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This may well be the title that pushes me over the edge to buy a Blu-ray player.

It is a must-have in HD for me, and I don't see Disney releasing an HD DVD version for a long, long time, if ever.
Old 08-24-06, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by RoboDad
This may well be the title that pushes me over the edge to buy a Blu-ray player.

It is a must-have in HD for me, and I don't see Disney releasing an HD DVD version for a long, long time, if ever.
Sadly, as much as I really like HD right now, i'm with you in the same boat. Dead Man's Chest might push me over, as I consider that a MUST HAVE. I will gladly double dip on this title as well. No question's asked

Z
Old 08-24-06, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
By the time this comes out in Blu-Ray (March 2007 or later), I will probably have a PS3. However, if this release is along the lines of The Fifth Element, Robocop, Full Metal Jacket... i.e. not up to par, I won't be getting it.
Old 08-24-06, 03:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by The Bus
By the time this comes out in Blu-Ray (March 2007 or later), I will probably have a PS3. However, if this release is along the lines of The Fifth Element, Robocop, Full Metal Jacket... i.e. not up to par, I won't be getting it.
Exactly. Perhaps people should wait to see what the quality is like at that point. Simply because a title is released on the format, at this point, doesn't guaratee much of anything.
Old 08-24-06, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
Given that the release won't happen until sometime next year, and that Panasonic has already released authoring tools that provide VC-1 encoding, I would be very surprised if Disney doesn't go with VC-1 by that time. The only big question mark is still BD-50. If they have to release on BD-25, a movie as long as Dead Man's Chest will probably not look very good.

But, we'll just have to wait and see what the landscape is like then, and plan accordingly. Savvy?
Old 08-24-06, 03:18 PM

I should have added in my last post, that I won't buy it unless it is on par with HD-DVD's. Right now it's VERY clear that HD is the way to go, but I am not a sole supporter of either format at this time. I also expect that one day Sony and their Rah Rah team will get their act right and fix all the problems with the BD format, actually live up to their spouted spec sheets, actually produce a 50gb disc, actually makes a disc that looks good, put some extras on the discs as well...and etc etc.

That might clear things up some

Having said that, I am looking to buy a Tosh HD player lol.
Old 08-24-06, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RoboDad

I'm in the same pirate ship with ye.
Old 08-24-06, 08:09 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Pirates wouldn't push me over the edge. Sleeping Beauty in HD, taking from one of the 70mm prints, THAT would push me over the edge.
Old 08-24-06, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Pirates wouldn't push me over the edge. Sleeping Beauty in HD, taking from one of the 70mm prints, THAT would push me over the edge.
I'm with this guy. However, I don't think we'll get SB for a long time. If they stick to the Platinum schedule, The Jungle Book and 101 Dalmations will come out next year (probably just on DVD), and then they'll do the four titles they added (Pinocchio, Peter Pan, Fantasia, and Sleeping Beauty). Since SB was released on DVD the most recently, it will probably be last, which would mean October of 2009.
Old 08-24-06, 09:41 PM
Banned by request

Well, that's only good news for me. By 2009 Disney might have decided to release on both formats. Or, supposing BD wins, by 2009 it will have had more time to mature.
Old 08-24-06, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Although I would like to have Pirates 2 in HD, there is no way I'm buying a BD player just for it. $1000 just to watch one movie that may not even look as good on BD as it would on HD DVD. "I don't think so Tim". I guess I seem to be in the minority here, but I will just by the SD version and upcovert it on my A1. But to each his own.
Old 08-24-06, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric D.
Although I would like to have Pirates 2 in HD, there is no way I'm buying a BD player just for it. $1000 just to watch one movie that may not even look as good on BD as it would on HD DVD. "I don't think so Tim". I guess I seem to be in the minority here, but I will just by the SD version and upcovert it on my A1. But to each his own.
I don't think anyone is suggesting buying a BD player for one movie, but one movie can convince someone who is considering it to pull the trigger on the purchase. Often someone will buy a game console because of a certain game he really wants to play, but he will buy other games.

Of course, the player prices will have to come down.
Old 08-25-06, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am in HD-DVD camp and I am staying there until I can get a BD player, that is built well with good support and fuction for $500 or less. End of story. And no I am not buying a PS3 for any reason, 500-600 is too damn much for a game system.

Now if Disney would release HD-DVD titles I would grace them with my money right away. This title would be a purchase as would some of their intitial BD releases.

Their hesitation on this title, combined with a huge Christmas HD exclusive like maybe Harry Potter or The Matrix or The Lord of The Rings could IMHO end or at least heavily sway the format war, I think those titles could move enough HD-DVD players for Christmas that the sudios would have to release HD-DVDs to cash in on the user base.

Last edited by speedyray; 08-25-06 at 12:09 AM.
Old 08-25-06, 12:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by speedyray
Their hesitation on this title, combined with a huge Christmas HD exclusive like maybe Harry Potter or The Matrix or The Lord of The Rings could IMHO end or at least heavily sway the format war, I think those titles could move enough HD-DVD players for Christmas that the sudios would have to release HD-DVDs to cash in on the user base.
You know.. I love the comments by hd-dvd biased owners more and more. Why do you expect the Matrix series and Harry Potter series to be HD-DVD exclusives? They're WB titles, and every movie they've released on HD-DVD has also been released or about to be released on Blu-Ray. Shocking, i know.

LOTR, i dont know about, but according to this link:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/blu-ray_2.htm

New line will be supporting both sides, as quoted here:

Others like Paramount/Dreamworks, Warner Bros, New Line Cinema and HBO have taken the position that the customer ought to be able to acquire their films in whatever format they choose—they will release their titles in both HD-DVD and Blu-ray editions.
So yah, remind me, why are you so excited for movies that will be out in both formats as a major boost for only HD-DVD? Let me know when you have an answer to that, kthksbye.

p.s. - Cash in on ALL 100k HD-DVD Owners (if even that, by this holiday season)? LOL.
Old 08-25-06, 12:52 AM
Banned by request

Because the HD DVD versions have all come out first, with the exception of GN&GL. If the trend continues, you may not see Harry Potter or The Matrix or Batman until after it counts (i.e., the holidays).

And even then, we'll also see King Kong, Spartacus, Out of Sight, The Thing, An American Werewolf In London, The Mummy, Dune, and a bunch more that will not be on BD in any way.
Old 08-25-06, 12:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Because the HD DVD versions have all come out first, with the exception of GN&GL. If the trend continues, you may not see Harry Potter or The Matrix or Batman until after it counts (i.e., the holidays).
That was due to HD-DVD being out first. We'll see what happens from here on out.

p.s. - Check MI:3. Out for HD-DVD, Blu-Ray and DVD, same day. Hmm indeed.

And even then, we'll also see King Kong, Spartacus, Out of Sight, The Thing, An American Werewolf In London, The Mummy, Dune, and a bunch more that will not be on BD in any way.
I can name a bunch of Blu-Ray exclusive titles as well, but from more then 1 studio. Try again.
Old 08-25-06, 01:02 AM
Banned by request

Name some that are confirmed that aren't from Sony. And while you're at it, tell me how many of those exclusives will be on DB-25 encoded with MPEG-2.

(P.S., OT: To steal a line from Kiss, "I'm a Legend tonight!")

Last edited by Supermallet; 08-25-06 at 01:08 AM.
Old 08-25-06, 01:50 AM

Yea, but all the BD versions of the WB films will not look as good as the HD DVD versions. So who cares which camp has what titles, the most important thing is which camp has the better quality discs. And right now that's HD DVD. BD will only become a threat when they can actually match or exceed the HD DVD versions...not just promise it. And as far as I can tell right now, that's not going to happen any time soon.
Old 08-25-06, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

For the most part, this discussion was pretty even handed, with many saying that PMC may be a title to sway people over. Then in swoop the Sony maniacs, who try to polarize everything. Sheesh! Give that Sony drum a rest.

I think it would be a nice feather in the BD cap to have this film. I think it could move some players.
Old 08-25-06, 05:44 AM

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts
Why do we still bother humoring this Blitz6 person?
Old 08-25-06, 09:35 AM

Those that have been released on both formats, look like absolute turkey crap on BD. Maybe you don't know how to discern the difference between HD and crappy SD.
Old 08-25-06, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Blitz6Speed
So yah, remind me, why are you so excited for movies that will be out in both formats as a major boost for only HD-DVD? Let me know when you have an answer to that, kthksbye.
Hmm...heres a couple.

1. WB HD-DVD releases are coming out months (at least weeks) before the BD release. There is no evidence that this will stop anytime soon.
2. IME (nuff said)
3. Dolby Digital+ AND TruHD 5.1
4. All the current releases are getting better reviews on HD-DVD.

Now, as far as POTC, if I can get an affordable quality BD player for about $500 and the releases get better, I might take the plunge.

Blitz likes to think that we all are just HD-DVD fanboys, but he is wrong.

We just want quality HD content releases which we arent getting right now from BD. When we do (and a quality player exists), I will probably purchase a BD player.

Last edited by RockStrongo; 08-25-06 at 10:20 AM.
Old 08-25-06, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Zman
Those that have been released on both formats, look like absolute turkey crap on BD. Maybe you don't know how to discern the difference between HD and crappy SD.
There was nary a visual difference between Good Night and Good Luck on BR/HD, KKBB was slightly better on HD, and Training Day was much better on HD. (This is all according to Hi Def Digest). Of course Training Day HD also has the Dolby TrueHD track, not regular DD from five years ago.

The other movies may look like turkey crap, but WB's Blu-Ray releases are simply inferior.

And... WB seems to prefer HD. Look at WB's Hi Def Home Video site... www.wbhidef.com

There's a few tiny mentions of Blu-Ray.
Old 08-25-06, 10:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Eric D.
Yea, but all the BD versions of the WB films will not look as good as the HD DVD versions. So who cares which camp has what titles, the most important thing is which camp has the better quality discs. And right now that's HD DVD. BD will only become a threat when they can actually match or exceed the HD DVD versions...not just promise it. And as far as I can tell right now, that's not going to happen any time soon.

Other then FMJ, every WB movie from now on for Blu-Ray is VC-1. And as The Bus stated, Good Night Good Luck was literally nearly identical to the HD-DVD release in picture quality. I'll state again that the true launch is about to happen, with properly mastered discs and better players (panasonic and pioneer players will be out soon), and the discs are just getting better from here. Those of you expecting BR to not have a good product for the consumer by this holiday season are kidding yourselves.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.