Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Reference titles for HD-DVD / Blu-Ray

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-06, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I searched and didn't find anything. I think it would be helpful to have a "Reference" thread for people just getting into HD-DVD and Blu-Ray so they know what discs to get to really maximize their investment.

I'd like to focus on three things: video, audio, and special features. Video and audio is obvious, but for special features I'd like us to recommend movies that have new features that you can't get on DVD or movies that take advantage of the new formats by incorporating never-before-seen extras (video commentaries for example).

Certainly, the Blu-Ray and HD-DVD review sections are a good start.

Code:

Title                       Video   Audio   Extras
Blazing Saddles               X
Bourne Supremacy              X       X       X
Constantine                                   X
Dukes of Hazzard                              X
House of Flying Daggers               X
Pitch Black                   X
Rundown                       X       X
Training Day                  X       X

Red = HD-DVD   Blue = Blu-Ray
I'm open to any other suggestions. I know I've heard Enter the Dragon and Blazing Saddles mentioned but they didn't seem to have very good reviews. I think it would be nice to show what compression codec was used on the video and/or audio... would that help?

I'll update this as needed.

Last edited by The Bus; 07-24-06 at 01:48 PM.
Old 07-24-06, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
for special features I'd like us to recommend movies that have new features that you can't get on DVD or movies that take advantage of the new formats by incorporating never-before-seen extras
The only completely unique features so far have been the In-Movie Experiences on The Dukes of Hazzard, Constantine, and The Bourne Supremacy. (I believe that's a complete list.)

For audio quality, my kneejerk reaction would be The Rundown, even with the dialogue dialed down a touch more than it probably should've been.

For video quality, I'd still probably lean towards Constantine, although I'd pull out Blazing Saddles to show off the fact that older movies can still look incredible in high definition. (I think Enter the Dragon looks nice relative to my expectations, but I don't think your average moviegoer would be bowled over by it.)

Every Warner and Universal release has used VC1. Paramount used H.264 on the U2 disc and VC1 on everything else.
Old 07-24-06, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there any reason to believe that an MPEG4 encoded movie will be poor quality?? Why are the major studios not using it??

The japanese releases seem to be MPEG4 and according to Josh's review, Finding Neverland's image quality wasnt all that great.

I should be getting Equilibrium to check out sometime next week (release is Friday), but im just curious about others thoughts.
Old 07-24-06, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm extremely impressed with Training Day's audio and video quality. It's also a favorite for many on AVS.
Old 07-24-06, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally Posted by RockStrongo
Is there any reason to believe that an MPEG4 encoded movie will be poor quality?? Why are the major studios not using it??
I think you'll see it on Blu-ray very soon. I think the real difference right now is that Microsoft is closely involved in the authoring of VC-1 content, and they've been pretty aggressive in refining their tools. H.264 doesn't have a "champion" in that same way, and the studios that have used it in Japan may not have invested the same time and effort that went into the early VC-1 encodes.
Old 07-24-06, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I started a thread here, but it only covers HD DVD.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=470362