Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Ideally, where should all HDMI sources connect to?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-06, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

suppose person has multiple sources with any combination of: cable/satellite, optical (hddvd/br), videogame console, htpc.

when connecting the multiple sources to a display & home theatre audio, which configuration is better:

1) multiple sources -->(audio&video)--> display -->(audio)--> home theatre

2) multiple sources -->(audio&video)--> home theatre -->(video)--> display
Old 07-09-06, 12:20 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
If you're using HDMI, you'll want to run them all through your receiver before going to your display. Your receiver will pull out the audio streams and send the picture to your display. If you only have one HDMI port on your receiver, use an HDMI switcher.

If you're using optical, coax, or analog for your audio, then obviously they will go to your receiver while the picture will go to your display.
Old 07-09-06, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's no chance of video degradation by having the HDMI not going directly into the display? I guess with digital it's less of an issue compared to analog (component cable).
Old 07-09-06, 02:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DavidH
There's no chance of video degradation by having the HDMI not going directly into the display? I guess with digital it's less of an issue compared to analog (component cable).
Nope. It's all digital.
Old 07-09-06, 02:16 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Unless your receiver is doing something wrong, the signal will pass through your receiver exactly as if it were going straight to your TV.

Personally, I'm waiting for HDMI 1.3 compatible receivers to come out before I buy any receiver with HDMI.
Old 07-09-06, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
If you're using HDMI, you'll want to run them all through your receiver before going to your display. Your receiver will pull out the audio streams and send the picture to your display. If you only have one HDMI port on your receiver, use an HDMI switcher.
so like #2?

what's the reasoning behind doing it that way instead of #1 and letting the display do the switching?

Last edited by her34; 07-09-06 at 02:54 AM.
Old 07-09-06, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DavidH
Of course there's a chance. That's why you want to shop this before spending a wad. But yes, it should be less of an issue than with analog video. It's a little early in the HDMI market to have lots of knowledge. Receivers are just starting to come out with HDMI, but it still isn't version 1.3 yet.

her34,
Some displays don't seem to pass the audio from HDMI back to the receiver. At all. So far it doesn't seem like they are set up very well as switchers. History says receivers do a better job at switching the video than TVs do at switching the audio. (obviously, receivers do audio and TVs video) If the mfgrs do everything right, it won't matter which you use, and there will be no signal loss. Since they seldom do everything right, you will still need to check stuff out. No doubt "you get what you pay for" will still come into play.

I would guess that sync issues will become the next big problem. We've already seen several products with this issue with all the digital signals.