Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Has your Walmart restocked its HD-DVD catalog?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-06, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was in my local Walmart (Meridian, Idaho) last night killing time during a power outage and saw an entire section devoted to HD-DVDs. Last week I went in looking to use a gift card on an HD-DVD and they had none at all. The manager said that they got a memo last week to shift software focus from BD to HD-DVD. Now admittedly, a Walmart manager isn't the strongest source, but they had virtually every HD-DVD title available (other than the ones that were sold out) and what looked to be extra space blocked out for future releases in a pretty prime space on the new release section.

Pretty decent prices too, I picked up Training Day for $19.99, and they probably had 5-10 at the $19.99 price point. Has anybody else seen their WM stock up on their HD-DVD selection?
Old 07-05-06, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the last time I was at my local WM they had nothing at all(no players or discs). it looked like they never had any of it either.
Old 07-05-06, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Walmart has a great selection, with about 25 titles. They are clearly pushing HD DVD over BD, imo.

Mine also has dedicated an endcap near the furniture with the RCA HD player hooked up to a plasma. There is also plenty of HD DVD signage throughout the dept. So far, the BD product is just kinda there, with no fanfare.

Walmart and Amazon definitely have the best pricing compared to Best Buy and Circuit City.

Last edited by Mr. Cinema; 07-05-06 at 03:03 PM.
Old 07-05-06, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was in that store yesterday as well (before the power failure), and noticed the new section as well. They did also have quite a few BDs on display, but the number od HD DVDs was noticeably larger, prominently placed right in the center of the new releases aisle.

For now, though, I'm still going to stick with Amazon. Between the 10% discount, the lack of sales tax, and the free 2-day shipping available through Prime, I end up saving $2-3 on each HD DVD I purchase, even over Wal-mart prices.
Old 07-05-06, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts
The two Walmarts in my area have restocked their shelves. They have one section split between BR and HD-DVD.
Old 07-08-06, 12:34 AM

The small non-superstore two minutes from my house is in a middle of a remodel and they have nothing

The Wal-Mart on Cincinnati-Dayton RD, which is north of Cincinnati, had the RCA unit on display. They also had several HD titles and BR titles displayed... I hope that continues...
Old 07-08-06, 01:04 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
If Wal-Mart decides to back HD-DVD over BD, that could shift terms of the format war all by itself.

Right now my Wal-Mart carries no next-gen formats.
Old 07-08-06, 01:11 AM

Local Wal-Mart has no HD-DVD selection. I have yet to buy any next gen player so I don't really care either.
Old 07-08-06, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Yes. They moved it from an endcap, and now the middle of the 'new releases' rack had just about every Blu-ray and HD DVD disc to present. Some had spots reserved but no titles in-stock. I think Rumor Has It may have been the only combo disc, and the Concert Hot Spot discs weren't carried, but other than that...
Old 07-08-06, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

^ sounds exactly like the one I was in yesterday. No players that I could see, however.
Old 07-08-06, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As the previous 2 have mentioned, my Walmart now has the same setup. BD is in 2 columns down the middle of the rack and HD DVD is in 4 columns beside it. They had a lot of empty spaces. Most of the titles are ones I have seen there before, so at least they are selling out of some. They didn't carry a few of the Universal titles. Mostly what I saw was from WB.
Old 07-08-06, 01:25 PM

The last time I looked, which was a few weeks ago, the Wal*Mart SuperCenter (# 0330) in Victoria, TX had at least ten HD DVD titles, maybe 15-20. I didn't see any Blu-ray titles though.
Old 07-09-06, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Still haven't seen any HD-DVDs or Blu-Ray in any of the Walmarts around me (NE Baltimore County).
Old 07-09-06, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Hammer99
Still haven't seen any HD-DVDs or Blu-Ray in any of the Walmarts around me (NE Baltimore County).
Same here in thinly populated western Colorado. There aren't any competitors like BB or CC in this area, so I would guess that Wal-mart is concentrating the limited HD DVD and BD supplies on big cities with competition.

I've never so much as seen one of the new high def discs yet.
Old 07-09-06, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

None of the Walmarts around me even had HD DVDs to begin with, let alone restocking them.
Old 07-15-06, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My Walmart added a few more BD titles and the only new titles for HD DVD was Blazing Saddles, which I purchased, and Enter the Dragon. No Pitch Black. I did notice that the cases for Enter the Dragon were bent very badly, having a curvy look to them. I hope they don't get any more movies in that kind of shape.
Old 07-16-06, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My local Wal-mart has no HD-DVDs but since the store is in the process of remodeling, they are probably not far off.
I shuddered when I read bravesmg's comment about a blackout in Wal-mart, this is the sort of thing that hillbillies in this neck of the woods dream of...
Old 07-17-06, 06:46 AM

I looked at my super walmart (w. lafayette, IN) an the shelf space for HD formats seemed to have more HD-DVD, but there were also a fair number of BD titles.
Old 07-17-06, 01:17 PM

The Walmart in Alpharetta (Windward Pkwy) has a crapload of HD-DVDs, but not as many BR's. Also the Walmart in Marietta (Big Chicken location) also has alot of HD-DVDs, but the popular titles were sold out.

Also, the Marietta Walmart is stocking the RCA HDV5000, which I bought!
Old 07-17-06, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In a somewhat stunning move, our local Walmart has suddenly started playing HD DVDs on a rear projection HDTV in the middle of one of the main (rear) aisles in the store. Last time I was there, they were playing Apollo 13 (good choice, IMO ).
Old 07-17-06, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Mine is using Apollo 13 with their plasma setup.
Old 07-17-06, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dmkb
My local Wal-mart has no HD-DVDs but since the store is in the process of remodeling, they are probably not far off.
I shuddered when I read bravesmg's comment about a blackout in Wal-mart, this is the sort of thing that hillbillies in this neck of the woods dream of...
To be fair, my side of town blacked out and we actually went to Wal-Mart because they had electricity. But yeah... a blackout in Wal-Mart probably doesn't rank too high on my favorite possibilities list.

And just another update, the Wal-Mart near Eagle, Idaho also has the same HD-DVD set up as Meridian, same titles and all, no newer releases yet.
Old 07-17-06, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by bravesmg
And just another update, the Wal-Mart near Eagle, Idaho also has the same HD-DVD set up as Meridian, same titles and all, no newer releases yet.
Is that the store on State? I always forget to check that one.
Old 07-17-06, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by RoboDad
Is that the store on State? I always forget to check that one.
Yep, I can't remember the cross-street but it connects State to Chinden. I like that one a lot more than the Meridian one, but I live about 5-10 minutes from the Meridian location and 20 minutes from State St.

The one on State St. had a lot more titles available, less holes on the display wall. I'm still waiting to see how long it takes them to get the new releases though, still no sign of anything newer than The Perfect Storm.
Old 07-18-06, 10:43 AM

I have 2 WMs in my town (Madison, WI) east and west. The east side store had a few titles in one of those hanging basket things they put on the end of the DVD aisles for awhile, but when I went in last weekend they had revamped into the configuration several have mentioned. It seemed to replace the UMDs.

I bought Blazing Saddles, but I can't recommend it. It was a really stupid movie. It looked good though.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.