Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Panasonic Launches BD-ROM Authoring Service in the US (MPEG-4 AVC)

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-06, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Credit goes to erdega79 over at avsforum.com

Panasonic Launches BD-ROM Authoring Service in the US

Thursday June 22, 11:01 am ET
New MPEG-4 AVC Encoder and Blu-ray-Java Authoring System Expedite Production of Blu-ray Titles with 1080p-quality Pictures and Advanced Interactivity

SECAUCUS, N.J., June 22 /PRNewswire/ -- Panasonic, the brand for which Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., Ltd. is known, announced today that it will commence Blu-ray Disc entertainment title (for Blu-ray Disc read-only media, or BD-ROM) authoring service for movie studios at Panasonic Hollywood Laboratory (PHL) in Universal City, California on July 1. Optical discs, like Blu-ray Disc, or conventional DVDs, need to have their content authored as a step toward physical replication of the disc as an entertainment title.

As Panasonic and other electronics manufacturers plan to introduce Blu-ray Disc players this year, Blu-ray titles from the major movie studios are expected to become increasingly available for consumers. The BD-ROM authoring service launched by Panasonic will facilitate the production of Blu-ray Disc titles, so that consumers can experience High-Definition movie entertainment at home.

Panasonic has been authoring DVDs in the U.S. since 1996 and has accumulated a great deal of know-how in digital content authoring. In order to provide the new service, Panasonic has installed state-of-the-art Blu-ray Disc authoring equipment at PHL.

The equipment installed for this purpose includes a specially developed MPEG-4 Advanced Video Codec (AVC) encoder and a Blu-ray Java authoring system. The combination of the encoder and authoring system enables Blu-ray title creators to reproduce near-original, high-quality video with an easy-to-use graphical user interface (GUI) based on Java.

The new Panasonic encoder and authoring system support the Blu-ray Disc Association's BD-ROM specification, and take advantage of the disc's benefits including very high data compression, interactive menus and highly-advanced copyright protection. The Panasonic MPEG-4 AVC encoder, capable of more than twice the compression of conventional MPEG-2 encoding, maintains the highest- resolution 1080p image quality of the source. The result is a stunning picture which Hollywood studio experts have reckoned comparable to the original.

The BD-Java authoring system offers a variety of interactive features such as pop-up menus, allowing for easy content navigation during playback. For example, users can pop up a table of contents during playback, bookmark favorite scenes, or select any desired item from the menu.

"Our engineers worked closely with Hollywood movie studios to develop the Java-BD authoring system," said Kazuhiro Tsuga, Executive Officer in charge of Digital Network and Software Technologies of Matsushita Electric. "We listened carefully to movie studios to help us create easy-to use and high- quality BD-ROM-based entertainment titles. To make them even better, we want to engage in an ongoing dialog with the Hollywood content providers."

"Panasonic plans to offer Blu-ray Disc authoring-related services to major movie studios and other content providers to accelerate the releases of more Blu-ray titles," said Mr. Tsuga. "The introduction of the Blu-ray authoring services and Blu-ray players completes the creation of an environment in which consumers can enjoy stunning High Definition video on their Panasonic HD plasma TVs at home."
Old 06-22-06, 02:22 PM
Banned

With press releases like these, I really don't see any of the manufacturers turning any time soon.

I'd really like to know what the love-affair is with Sony.
Old 06-22-06, 02:23 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
so, is this saying that Sony is going to go with MPEG4 and not MPEG2 - or are they gonna fuck it up again...?
Old 06-22-06, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think what it is saying is that other studios now have a viable alternative to Sony's crippled BD authoring system. If it as good as their DVD authoring system was in the early days of that format, Matsushita/Panasonic could be viewed as the savior of BD.

I wonder how well this will sit with Sony? Let's just say that I doubt they will be champing at the bit to use the new system.
Old 06-22-06, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Giles
so, is this saying that Sony is going to go with MPEG4 and not MPEG2 - or are they gonna fuck it up again...?
I don't think Sony has anything to do or say about it, but it's about time though. If the studios are smart they'll go with Panasonic and not Sony for BD-ROM production (If Sony was smart they would to, but I doubt they will). I just got back from a Best Buy and they had the Samsung BDP-1000 hooked up to a Samsung 40" LCD TV. The HD-A1 was sitting on a shelve but, not hooked up anymore. To my amazement they had the BDP-1000 and TV setup for 1080p with HoFD however, the compression artifacts made it looked like SHIT! I'd like a unified format, but competition is also good for consumers. Atleast, it will force both camps to improve their products (that's if they want to be the winning format) which in turn gives the consumer a better product.

Since there isn't a player out on the market yet that I would buy, I have some time for both sides to work out their own problems.
Old 06-23-06, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Competition is good in product and content, not recording formats, as Sony seems to love proving. Good news, maybe this will help. Wonder if Panny will have any breakthroughs in players, too. Like being able to play the audio from their encoder.
Old 06-23-06, 02:35 PM

I know that Blu-ray is capable of MPEG 2, MPEG 4 and VC1, so I don't understand why they are using MPEG 2. Can someone clear that up for me?
Old 06-23-06, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Fettastic
I know that Blu-ray is capable of MPEG 2, MPEG 4 and VC1, so I don't understand why they are using MPEG 2. Can someone clear that up for me?
Currently all discs are being authored by Sony. VC-1 is a Microsoft codec and Sony doesn't want to pay royalties to one of its biggest competitors. They also don't want to use MPEG4 because they claim that MPEG2 is a more mature codec and they can get better results with it (which is highly debatable given the first batch of Blu-ray discs they've issued).

The announcement in this thread is regarding Panasonic setting up their own disc authoring facility which will use MPEG4 instead of MPEG2.