Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

It looks like HDMI 1.3 is finally approved (unverified)

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-06, 11:19 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This seemed like the best forum to put this in.... Forgive me if this is a duplicate thread.

HDMI 1.3 just got approved and it sure is pretty. The system received an overall speed boost to better handle future HD content and "deep color." This will be used to support 1080 X 60 Hz with 36-bit RGB color, or 1080p with 90Hz. The big news comes with the bump up of RGB support. The current HDMI spec "only" supports up to 24-bit RGB which is truly all the eye can see. 1.3 however allows for 30, 36, and even 46-bit color. Most of the time when 36-bit color is utilized, it is for GUI overlays and things of that nature. This allows for the image underneath not to be modified when the overlay is present. Even so, this will allow for over 1 billion possible colors. The PS3 is said to take advantage of this and could have even been one of the reasons it was delayed.

HDMI 1.3 will also support the lossless formats of Dolby HD and DTS-HD along with a new type of HDMI connector for smaller HD devices. It seems that this new mini connector is what Sony has put on their newest SXRD-based XBRs but left off of the A2000 line. Lastly, 1.3 has a system built-in similar to Panasonic Viera Link. It allows for the HDMI device to configure the HDMI display - in since they will talk to each other.
http://www.hdbeat.com/2006/06/13/hdm...-1-3-approved/
Old 06-14-06, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great post! Thanks for the info.
Old 06-14-06, 10:30 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm very excited about the prospect of the PS3 using HDMI 1.3.
Old 06-14-06, 11:23 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The front page of HDMI.org says to check back soon for information on HDMI 1.3. So it seems like this is legit.

This is good for both formats and it's about time! It's probably best for the consumer, so we can finally get the correct devices for this next-generation (receiver, et cetera).
Old 06-15-06, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Good news indeed. I want HDMI 1.3 when I buy a new receiver.
Old 06-15-06, 03:55 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I won't even think of a new receiver until I see ones coming out that are getting great HD sound through HDMI 1.3.