Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Black Hawk Down: A test for BD?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Black Hawk Down: A test for BD?

Old 06-05-06, 03:28 PM
  #1  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 15,957
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black Hawk Down: A test for BD?

This should be an interesting test subject IMHO for BD.

The movie itself is 144 min (or 152, depending on which version they use).

It will be in MPEG2. It will most likely be single layered.

How many audio options will be included?

Also, there's a shitload of extras from that 3 disc DVD set. Will those all be ported over? Will there be enough room for all of it on one BD disc or will this be a bare-bones "Superbit" BHD?

It seems like a lot and I will be very interested to see if BD pulls it off.
Old 06-05-06, 04:39 PM
  #2  
Moderator
 
Giles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 33,625
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
my fingers are crossed that it sounds and looks great. Seeing how and what they will include as extras will indeed be interesting to note. In typical Sony form, I bet you anything it will be the 144 min. version.
Old 06-05-06, 04:51 PM
  #3  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Seattle
Posts: 230
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think they should have delayed this and delivered it on a DL disc. The 3 disc set content has to be on the Blu-Ray disc or it's not not as cool as it could be. I'll wait on BHD if it doesn't have everything the expanded set has.
Old 06-05-06, 08:19 PM
  #4  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: NY NY
Posts: 622
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
According to the specs at the link below, neither BHD nor Memento Blu-rays are going to contain all the extras of the SD versions.

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releas...t-blu-ray.html
Old 06-05-06, 09:11 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Docking Bay 94
Posts: 14,259
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rusty James
According to the specs at the link below, neither BHD nor Memento Blu-rays are going to contain all the extras of the SD versions.

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releas...t-blu-ray.html
That sucks. There's really no excuse to be putting out initial releases that are subpar in any respect like that.
Old 06-05-06, 09:27 PM
  #6  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 15,957
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BHD was rumored to be the first DL title with lossless audio.

Good luck.
Old 06-06-06, 04:38 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 302
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rusty James
According to the specs at the link below, neither BHD nor Memento Blu-rays are going to contain all the extras of the SD versions.

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releas...t-blu-ray.html
Why Sony?! This is not the way to do it if you want to launch and new format and have people trust your product!
"Ok so I buy a new HD version of a film, but I don't get evrything the DVD has?!"
I realise that this is so Sony can rerelease again sometime, but still this sends the wrong message!
Old 06-06-06, 09:36 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,099
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kant
"Ok so I buy a new HD version of a film, but I don't get evrything the DVD has?!"
I realise that this is so Sony can rerelease again sometime, but still this sends the wrong message!
While I don't doubt that Sony may already be planning double dips (by releasing R vs. Unrated versions), I think this issue is deeper than that.

I don't think they can actually make it all fit onto their 25GB discs using MPEG 2 compression. And I believe the rumors/reports that they can't make DL 50GB discs with any sort of reliability. Just like Microsoft said in the report explaining why MS chose HD DVD. One of the reasons was that MS believed BR wouldn't be able to make good on all the promises of extra capacity due to manufacturing issues. While I don't believe everything I read or hear, everything they've said for months about BR sure looks to be true.

EDIT: Oh, and I have to wonder, since Sony loves to tout the fact that they have huge CE backing from giants like Pioneer, Panasonic, et al., why they can't get their damn technology to work. With all that CE firepower, you'd think they could get DL discs to work. Or at least SL discs. And players.

Last edited by awmurray; 06-06-06 at 09:43 AM.
Old 06-06-06, 10:21 AM
  #9  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 15,957
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by awmurray
EDIT: Oh, and I have to wonder, since Sony loves to tout the fact that they have huge CE backing from giants like Pioneer, Panasonic, et al., why they can't get their damn technology to work. With all that CE firepower, you'd think they could get DL discs to work. Or at least SL discs. And players.
In short...ANYTHING.
Old 06-06-06, 10:28 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Mpls, MN
Posts: 6,830
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would say that backing from Pioneer and Panasonic is worthless in this topic, at least this summer. They are waiting for the technology to be made at this point. And Sony is the one working on it, with Samsung. Maybe next year the other companies will start having an impact once they start tweaking.

This would apply to HDDVD, as well.
Old 06-06-06, 06:33 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 10,519
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts
Well they did use the original release art for BHD if that's any indication... I would expect a higher priced edition later on with the extras from the 3disc dvd. (hopefully not too much later) I'd love for the releases to be loaded right outta the chute, but that doesn't look like it's going to be the case.
Old 06-10-06, 02:18 PM
  #12  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 60
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The news so far isn't encouraging. BHD is one of the few BD releases I am eager to see and now it sounds like it is going to be sub-standard. Sony seems to be doing their best to screw things up.
Old 06-12-06, 04:18 AM
  #13  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,150
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by awmurray
Just like Microsoft said in the report explaining why MS chose HD DVD. One of the reasons was that MS believed BR wouldn't be able to make good on all the promises of extra capacity due to manufacturing issues. While I don't believe everything I read or hear, everything they've said for months about BR sure looks to be true.
Listening to Microsoft about Blu-ray is going to be about as accurate as listening to Ann Coulter for a fair view of liberals. Microsoft wants to BURY Sony. I'm not saying that the rumors circulating aren't true (I honestly haven't read enough to say they are or aren't), but Microsoft wouldn't say something good about BD to save Bill Gates' life.
Old 06-12-06, 08:28 AM
  #14  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 15,957
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Listening to Microsoft about Blu-ray is going to be about as accurate as listening to Ann Coulter for a fair view of liberals. Microsoft wants to BURY Sony. I'm not saying that the rumors circulating aren't true (I honestly haven't read enough to say they are or aren't), but Microsoft wouldn't say something good about BD to save Bill Gates' life.
Umm...I don't know if *I* could say something good about BD to save MY life. There's really no advantage to it.
Old 06-12-06, 03:08 PM
  #15  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,150
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm not turning this into a BD vs. HD debate, I'm only saying anything Microsoft says should be taken with a grain of salt (or at least verified with a more neutral third party) because they are so determined to destroy Sony.
Old 06-12-06, 03:36 PM
  #16  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 15,957
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I'm not turning this into a BD vs. HD debate, I'm only saying anything Microsoft says should be taken with a grain of salt (or at least verified with a more neutral third party) because they are so determined to destroy Sony.
At this point, I'd trust Microsoft over Sony ANY day. Look at what we're dealing with?
Old 06-12-06, 03:40 PM
  #17  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,150
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Even before this format war, the words "Trust" and "Microsoft" were never intertwined in my mind, unless you throw in "Anti" before the "trust".
Old 06-12-06, 03:56 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,099
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea, I don't believe what MS says w/o question. However, MS said they chose HD-DVD because BR would have manufacturing problems. That was months ago. It seems like BR is being delayed due to the very reasons MS alluded to. There are rumors of yield problems with the discs, just like predicted, etc..
Old 06-12-06, 04:26 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: gloucester, uk
Posts: 2,154
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Look at where those rumours are mainly coming from.
Old 06-12-06, 05:30 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 9,687
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Burnt Thru
Look at where those rumours are mainly coming from.
Why would ANY partners in the BD Group talk bad about their own product. Of course they are just going to say everything is fine and dandy, or not say anything at all.
Old 06-13-06, 01:17 AM
  #21  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: gloucester, uk
Posts: 2,154
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Many of the rumours are coming from MS posters on an internet message board. Strange that these rumours should support Microsoft's stated position.
Old 06-13-06, 08:29 AM
  #22  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,099
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Burnt Thru
Many of the rumours are coming from MS posters on an internet message board. Strange that these rumours should support Microsoft's stated position.
The point is BR seems to be having the exact problems that were predicted months ago in the 'why MS chose HD-DVD' article.

I'm not talking about rumors. I'm talking about multiple product delays, high cost and low disc yields. I've heard of those things from other sources besides MS.
Old 06-13-06, 08:32 AM
  #23  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 15,957
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by awmurray
The point is BR seems to be having the exact problems that were predicted months ago in the 'why MS chose HD-DVD' article.

I'm not talking about rumors. I'm talking about multiple product delays, high cost and low disc yields. I've heard of those things from other sources besides MS.
I honestly don't know of ANY of these so-called rumors that weren't fact.
Burnt is just pissed because most of them have been bad about BD.

I wouldn't say there's an anti-BD stance from the MS guys. Obviously they work for a company that is supporting a product and as such, all of their information seems to be (mostly) about HD DVD and where it stands as of now. You should try reading the postings from the MS insiders before bashing them. Everyone else there seems to respect them.
Old 06-13-06, 09:57 AM
  #24  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Mpls, MN
Posts: 6,830
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
At this point, I'd trust Microsoft over Sony ANY day. Look at what we're dealing with?
Sorry, but that is just silly. Maybe if you qualified that to be only refering to HDDVD vs BD.

Where is Vista, again?
Old 06-13-06, 10:08 AM
  #25  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 15,957
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Spiky
Sorry, but that is just silly. Maybe if you qualified that to be only refering to HDDVD vs BD.
Sorry. Which forum are we in? Oh right. The HD one.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.