Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blu-Ray = R-rated, DVD = unrated...why?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Blu-Ray = R-rated, DVD = unrated...why?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-06, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RockStrongo
Does Wal-Mart not carry any unrated versions? Or are they just selective as to which unrated titles to carry (like BBV)?
I've believe I've seen lots of unrated DVDs at Wal-Mart.
Old 06-02-06, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

this is why i can't support blu-ray. Sony is notorious for double dipping (not that every other studio isn't doing the same but sony is much worse) and they are going to start immediately this trend of releasing an r-rated cut then an unrated cut and then finally and extended unrated cut.
Old 06-02-06, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 217 Likes on 156 Posts
Yeah, I'm guessing Underworld:Evolution will get a seperate extended cut...probably our first BR double-dip.

I've also gotta think The Patriot will be an early BR release, and since we just got an extended cut I wonder which one they'll put out? Both would obviously be preferable... guess we'll see.
Old 06-03-06, 05:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,909 Posts
Wal-Mart has been stocking tons of "unrated" DVDs lately, so I don't think appeasing Wal-Mart is an issue.

I'd say that any studio that's holding back material is doing so in order to "double dip" in the future.
Old 06-04-06, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
On the will Blockbuster/Wal-Mart carry all unrated versions available? The answer is no, since you can not rent or buy the unrated Team America at either place for example(& I still find the edited Requiem for a Dream at both places).

So if the added footage is extra gore,they will carry it. But if the added footage is sexual/nudity footage(however brief). They may not carry it except once in a rare while.

For example WM used to not have the American Pie unrated versions and now carry them. And they also have the newest release of Basic Instinct.

But I guess some extra puppet sex is just too much for them,so they prohibited carrying Team America unrated in their stores,...the hypocrites!

And with all the space available on HD and BR. I don't see why they can not release both versions of a film,even if they use full prints of each version taking up their own layer.

For example, Lions Gate will be releasing the R version of Saw it appears. And since the differences in terms of film length are a mere few seconds. There is no excuse to not release the unrated version on the same release!
Old 06-05-06, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
But I guess some extra puppet sex is just too much for them,so they prohibited carrying Team America unrated in their stores,...the hypocrites!
I don't know if the puppet "sex" was a factor or not. The R rated version had all of that left intact I believe-- but they added a little to it. However, regarding the unrated version, I have trouble seeing how one puppet pissing and shitting (think soft serve ice cream shitting) on the other ones face could be considered "sex".

I remember when the unrated version of Team America was coming out. There was talk about this scene and how people were hoping that they left it in. I'm pretty sure it generated enough controversy that they decided to not stock it.
Old 06-07-06, 09:54 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by jiggawhat
this is why i can't support blu-ray. Sony is notorious for double dipping (not that every other studio isn't doing the same but sony is much worse) and they are going to start immediately this trend of releasing an r-rated cut then an unrated cut and then finally and extended unrated cut.
Sony would have done the same thing with HD-DVD if they hadn't made Blu-ray. It's not like Sony is going to tell Warner Bros. and Paramount, etc. to double-dip. Blame the studio, not the format. Just remember, even if Blu-ray fails, you will see the same studios do the same thing on HD-DVD.
Old 06-07-06, 09:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Sony would have done the same thing with HD-DVD if they hadn't made Blu-ray. It's not like Sony is going to tell Warner Bros. and Paramount, etc. to double-dip. Blame the studio, not the format. Just remember, even if Blu-ray fails, you will see the same studios do the same thing on HD-DVD.
But at least you'll have paid 1/2 as much for a player. One could rationalize that they're using the money they've saved on the double-dips.
Old 06-07-06, 10:18 PM
Banned by request

If you get a PS3, you're paying $100 more than the current Toshiba player, AND it will play video games.
Old 06-07-06, 11:32 PM
Banned

If you get a PS3, you're paying $100 more than the current Toshiba player, AND it will play video games.
Exactly.

However, those without common sence/logic will try to say otherwise. Those of us that realise whats going on know the ps3 is the true bargain here. Heck, if you want to stay with component 1080i, you can get the 499 ps3 which is the same price as the tosh hd-dvd player, except that it plays high def ps1/ps2/ps3 games and more.
Old 06-07-06, 11:37 PM
Banned by request

And without ICT, even the $499 PS3 will be able to play hi-def on blu-ray.
Old 06-07-06, 11:39 PM
Banned

I like to keep my components separate, thanks.

It remains to be see what quality loss (if any) will occur from the combo.
Old 06-07-06, 11:56 PM
Banned by request

Well, no matter what, it will look better than any DVD player on the market. And it will be an excellent placeholder while we wait for the next-gen to come around, since none of the first-gen players will support HDMI 1.3.

My point is that you can get BD for roughly the same price as HD-DVD. And let's face it, the Toshiba is not going to give you the best HD-DVD can look. No first-gen player of either format will hit the peak of the format.
Old 06-08-06, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
If it plays movies anything like my PS2 I will pass and wait for a standalone Blu-ray player to hit $500.
Old 06-08-06, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 259 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by Blitz6Speed
However, those without common sence/logic will try to say otherwise.
Those without common sense/logic forget that video game consoles make horrible movie playback devices.
Old 06-08-06, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Exactly.

However, those without common sence/logic will try to say otherwise. Those of us that realise whats going on know the ps3 is the true bargain here. Heck, if you want to stay with component 1080i, you can get the 499 ps3 which is the same price as the tosh hd-dvd player, except that it plays high def ps1/ps2/ps3 games and more.
No, they will simply say it isn't the end-all-be-all of the electronics world. No one has denied the facts stated above.

Can you get me some of those high def PS1 games? Thanks.
Old 06-08-06, 11:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Those without common sense/logic forget that video game consoles make horrible movie playback devices.
I dunno, my xbox 360 connected through VGA plays DVDs back in some amazing quality. heh.
Old 06-08-06, 11:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Spiky
No, they will simply say it isn't the end-all-be-all of the electronics world. No one has denied the facts stated above.

Can you get me some of those high def PS1 games? Thanks.

PS1/PS2 games will be upconverted on the ps3, its been stated many times to be the case.
Old 06-08-06, 12:36 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PS1/PS2 games will be upconverted on the ps3, its been stated many times to be the case.
Upconverted != High Definition.

If it did, we'd all be happy with our upconverted DVDs.
Old 06-08-06, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by mbs
Upconverted != High Definition.

If it did, we'd all be happy with our upconverted DVDs.

Hahaha....I was thinking the same thing.

Actually, my Samsung DLP upconverts everything to 720p anyways....SOOOO, if I connect my old NES system....poof! Hidef Contra!!
Old 06-08-06, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by awmurray
I don't know if the puppet "sex" was a factor or not. The R rated version had all of that left intact I believe-- but they added a little to it. However, regarding the unrated version, I have trouble seeing how one puppet pissing and shitting (think soft serve ice cream shitting) on the other ones face could be considered "sex".

I remember when the unrated version of Team America was coming out. There was talk about this scene and how people were hoping that they left it in. I'm pretty sure it generated enough controversy that they decided to not stock it.
From what Trey and Parker say in interviews regarding the puppet sex scene. More than 2 seconds of fake pee and poop was cut. They said that alot of shots and positions were cut or shortend to get an R rating. Though I have'nt seen the R version to notice if this is true or not.

Either way,the fake puppet poo and piss is not real,the pee is just water,while the poo is probably some chunky substance painted brown. And since it takes up 2 seconds of screen time....and is nowhere near 'real' looking.

I don't see what the big deal over it is. Since plenty of people were so offended online,that they wished they'd have seen the R version,lol.

Now if the film were real actors doing such nasty fetish things. Then I can understand the gross out disgust factor...and that stores wouldn't want to carry such a version.

But the film as it is,with puppets no less is highly fake unrealistic and absurd. That I don't find the sequence as 'disgusting' and going 'too far' as many reviewers claim.

Troma's film Terror Firmer had a far grosser more disgusting sequence involving shit-eating. That really makes me feel like throwing up despite it being fake and not real.
Old 06-08-06, 02:55 PM

Better do some fact checking there. Reports have surfaced that PS3 will essentially have a PS2 built in for BC. As of now, because of this, enhanced BC is iffy.

See when you read ALL the news, not just the rosy colored impressions of certain supporters, you can get a good idea of the full picture.
Old 06-08-06, 05:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
Better do some fact checking there. Reports have surfaced that PS3 will essentially have a PS2 built in for BC. As of now, because of this, enhanced BC is iffy.

See when you read ALL the news, not just the rosy colored impressions of certain supporters, you can get a good idea of the full picture.
I did read this tasty tidbit of news. However, i think people forget that even on the PS2, PS1 games were "upscaled" in a way to look more sharper and what not. And thats on crappy ps2 hardware. Even if they include the ps2 chipset, im sure it will upscale the image to a higher res as well. It wont be that difficult with such powerful hardware.

Of course, this is all speculation till that wonderful day on november.
Old 06-08-06, 06:32 PM

how did this thread go from no unrated blu-ray discs to another PS3 thread?
Old 06-08-06, 06:36 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ChrisHicks
how did this thread go from no unrated blu-ray discs to another PS3 thread?
You can thank DFNYC, Blitz, and Suprmallet for that.

Unfortunately, it seems the natural progression for every thread in this folder these days.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.