Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Sony admits need for dual-format player!

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-06, 12:54 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

VERY interesting article:

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1960294,00.asp

NEW YORK, May 10 (Reuters) - Sony Electronics is seeing the supply of electronic components tightening with accelerated sales of mobile phones and other devices, its president said on Wednesday.

"Overall component supply is tightening up," Stan Glasgow, president and chief operating officer of the Sony Corp. division, said during an event in New York. He noted that a wide range of electronic devices such as mobile phones are "selling at a phenomenal rate."

Glasgow added that the company would not have enough inventory to supply demand for next-generation Blu-ray DVD players in the United States.

"It's going to be expensive," he said. "It will take time to get component prices down."

Glasgow's comments come amid a brewing industry war over the technology behind the next most advanced line of DVD players.

Blu-ray technology is competing with HD format DVD players as the next standard in the $24 billion-a-year home video market. Toshiba Corp. started rolling out its HD DVD format players in Japan over a month ago, becoming the first company to offer next-generation optical disc players worldwide.

Glasgow said he believed the battle over formats could be resolved within 12 to 24 months, but entertained the possibility of creating a player that combined both technologies.

"A lot has been invested" in such advanced DVD players, he said. "It's expensive having two different types of hi- definition technologies."
Old 05-11-06, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Admitting the "need" "A lot has been invested" in such advanced DVD players, he said. "It's expensive having two different types of hi- definition technologies."
Old 05-11-06, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've deleted by reply from the other thread and moved it here:

Apparently, as it stands now, there will be no dual format players due to the BR license agreement.

If Sony is open to the possibility, it is definitely a sign of weakness on their part. He may have meant, "we'll keep it looking good for 12-24 months to save face before we give it up 'for the good of the industry'."

I'm guessing that behind closed doors, Sony is feeling the pressure from studios who want to go agnostic. The whole reason the studios want to release on HD is because DVD sales are peaking. The format war will actually hurt HD format sales. Logically, then, they won't tolerate it for long.
Old 05-11-06, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for sharing the article
Old 05-11-06, 01:34 PM

It would be cool if they just created dual players and sold both HD-DVD and BD as ‘one’ format with the differences being thought of in a similar way to the differences between single layer and dual layer DVDs. That way TV series, etc could be released on the larger capacity BD discs and HD-DVDs could be used for regular films that don’t require as much space.
Old 05-11-06, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Deus
It would be cool if they just created dual players and sold both HD-DVD and BD as ‘one’ format with the differences being thought of in a similar way to the differences between single layer and dual layer DVDs.
In theory it would be cool.

However, it is much more expensive to manufacture BR product due to lower manufacturing tolerances (from what I've read). Therefore, I wouldn't want a dual format player because it'll cost a fortune (stand alone BR players cost a fortune).

What is interesting is that Sony is apparently open to the idea, whereas up until now the very idea was absurd... why make a dual format player when HD-DVD will be dead?

I guess the news of HD-DVD's death has been greatly exaggerated.

"The next generation doesn't start until we say it does." -Sony
Old 05-11-06, 01:55 PM
Banned

Methinks Sony has blinked.
Old 05-11-06, 02:09 PM
Banned

Sony was the one refusing before. It would be VERY interesting if HD-DVD were the one who refused now.
Old 05-11-06, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yea, I don't think it would be good to have a dual format player.

Wasn't HD-DVD calling Blu-Ray, "disruptive technology" at CES 2006?

I don't want no disruptive technology in my player.
Old 05-11-06, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As far as I know, when Sony refused they were percieved (at least by me) to be leading in the race. Now, I give the edge to HD-DVD, especially given that they've hit their release dates and their expansion into the 360 add-on. I'd be surprised if HD-DVD went along with it now, since one of their big selling points is affordability.
Old 05-11-06, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts
Sony blinked the day they started selling VHS machines.
Old 05-11-06, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Peep
Admitting the "need" "A lot has been invested" in such advanced DVD players, he said. "It's expensive having two different types of hi- definition technologies."
I think what Freak was referring to is this quote:
Glasgow said he believed the battle over formats could be resolved within 12 to 24 months, but entertained the possibility of creating a player that combined both technologies.
And that quote is certainly an about-face from their position three months ago.

It would be cool if they just created dual players and sold both HD-DVD and BD as ‘one’ format with the differences being thought of in a similar way to the differences between single layer and dual layer DVDs. That way TV series, etc could be released on the larger capacity BD discs and HD-DVDs could be used for regular films that don’t require as much space.
That has been my thought all along. The revenue that either camp receives from player sales is trivial in the long run. It's the software royalties that will matter. Let the players support both "formats," and then see how the titles develop to exploit the advantages of each of them.
Old 05-11-06, 03:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RoboDad
That has been my thought all along. The revenue that either camp receives from player sales is trivial in the long run. It's the software royalties that will matter. Let the players support both "formats," and then see how the titles develop to exploit the advantages of each of them.
That would be pointless. If both formats had the same films, the only difference would be storage amount. HD-DVD would use 2 discs if they had to and BR would use 1. Of course that all depends on BR being able to come up with a working dual layer disc which has yet to be seen. And of course, we have to see the visual differences with different compression schemes.

That's why, at the moment, the only big difference is support. Otherwise, they're the same on the surface, technically.
Old 05-11-06, 07:21 PM

I was thinking about series like Futurama for example which is spread over 15 dual layer DVDs, which is 141GB (not really since each disc isn’t filled to capacity but I’m just using it as an example). So the entire series could fit on a single eight layer BD (that is if they manage to get one up and running. Also, they already have a prototype of a four layer disc, haven’t they?). I think that would be great as far as convenience goes because you’d be able to watch any episode from the series easily without having to change discs all the time unlike if you want to watch an episode on, say the first DVD of the first season, then the third DVD of the fourth season and then on the fourth DVD of the third season. And also be able to programme your player so that it plays the episodes back to back. It’s obviously going to cost more than just a single movie so it would also benefit from the “durabis 2” coating that comes as standard on BDs. Whereas a smaller movie could be released on an HD-DVD at a cheaper price for the manufacturer since it wouldn’t require anywhere near as much space and it would also be much cheaper to replace if the disc got scratched and so it wouldn’t need the protective coating.

That way there would be one format in the public's eyes making them more willing to adopt and studios could choose which ever format they want to use depending on the size of the material they want to put on it. The cost of players should drop over time as technology improves.
Old 05-11-06, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Fox still hasn't announced any of their BD plans. I wonder what the chances are that they are considering releasing product on HD-DVD as well...

To me, if Fox crosses the line, that would be a huge plus for the HD-DVD camp.
Old 05-11-06, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
I was thinking about series like Futurama for example which is spread over 15 dual layer DVDs, which is 141GB (not really since each disc isn’t filled to capacity but I’m just using it as an example). So the entire series could fit on a single eight layer BD (that is if they manage to get one up and running. Also, they already have a prototype of a four layer disc, haven’t they?).
The multiple-layer Blu-Ray (and HD-DVD) discussion is mostly theoretical and is being done for show rather than for actual release. The hardware players that are being released to stores will only support playback of single-layer or dual-layer discs. Even if the manufacturer does come up with a working 8-layer disc, it won't be compatible with any players.
Old 05-11-06, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Z
The multiple-layer Blu-Ray (and HD-DVD) discussion is mostly theoretical and is being done for show rather than for actual release. The hardware players that are being released to stores will only support playback of single-layer or dual-layer discs. Even if the manufacturer does come up with a working 8-layer disc, it won't be compatible with any players.
Plus the format war will probably be resolved, in one way or another, by the time Sony could even get the 8 layer discs working.
Old 05-11-06, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Z
These are early days though. Anything could happen in the next year or two (and I really think it’s going to last that long if not longer). Weren't the first DVD players only capable of playing single layer DVDs?
Old 05-11-06, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
8 layers? Jesus Christ...... How long before they come up with infinite layer discs?
Old 05-11-06, 10:56 PM
Banned

These are early days though. Anything could happen in the next year or two (and I really think it’s going to last that long if not longer). Weren't the first DVD players only capable of playing single layer DVDs?
Hell no.
Old 05-12-06, 08:13 AM

DVD Players were always capable of playing dual-layered discs.

Ignoring the feasibility of an 8 layered BD-ROM (I think 4 layers may still be touch and go), could anyone actually see fox selling 15 DVDs of Futurama across 1 or 2 Blu-Ray discs?

"You know that series that cost you $200 on DVD, well here it is on double-disc Blu-Ray. Now do we charge you the $200 again just for two discs, or do you expect us to give it away at $39.99"

etc etc
Old 05-12-06, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
The horror at the thought of scratching my $200 single disc set of Futurama on Blu-ray. [shudders]

I think these guys have their hands full with dual layered and should leave it at that. I've got no issue with multidisc sets.
Old 05-12-06, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have no issues with mulit-disc sets --- and I don't think the average consumer does either. I think the issue of "disc space" in this context has been greatly over-emphasized.
Old 05-12-06, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I doubt the HT/movie side of this market will see more than 2 layers. If more actually come out, they will be nice for PC use.

15 DVDs cost less to make than 1 BD right now. The number of discs has nothing to do with the price of TV sets, other than to trick consumers into thinking it does. Witness Star Trek prices vs almost anything else.
Old 05-12-06, 10:39 AM

Since they’ve probably already saturated the market with Futurama (although, I’m not sure how it was shot so there’s a chance of an HD version anyway which would likely rule out being able to fit all of the episodes on a 200GB disc anyway. I’m just talking about older series that were shot on video) they’re likely not to charge the same price, for the single disc release, that was charged originally for the DVD releases since there would be no point in people buying it. The convenience of having all of the episodes on one disc wouldn’t be worth it in that case.

Even 200GB wouldn’t be enough for longer series like Cheers, Frasier, Friends, X-Files, Simpsons etc. It’s just disappointing that the new formats, while they offer more, they don’t go far enough.

You wouldn’t have to worry about the 200GB discs getting scratched since the protective coating would be used on them (Although, in my view, if you let you dog or child, bite, burn, snap or play Frisbee with a classic series like Futurama, then you deserve to lose your money ). Regular DVD scratches from excessive use or even accidents, like accidentally dropping it, shouldn’t ruin the disc.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.