Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

It's official - MS announces HD-DVD drive for the Xbox 360!

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

It's official - MS announces HD-DVD drive for the Xbox 360!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-06, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just about the only thing the add-on wouldn't have to do is the processing, all the rest has to be included with the unit, or in a dongle to be sold with it. Along with license fees for the audio and video codecs, and hdcp/hdmi. The thing won't be cheap to make.
Old 05-09-06, 08:19 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Burnt Thru
Just about the only thing the add-on wouldn't have to do is the processing, all the rest has to be included with the unit, or in a dongle to be sold with it. Along with license fees for the audio and video codecs, and hdcp/hdmi. The thing won't be cheap to make.
Doesn't matter. All that matters is how much it sells for.
Old 05-09-06, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Burnt Thru
Frankly I'm stumped as to why, but thems the real oats. MS TV, MS Bob, MS mobile tech, etc, they've not managed so far to succesfully branch out into other areas.
It's because Microsoft isn't very good at competing unless they can bully/force/ramrod their stuff down your throat.

That's why they've been sued by the US, Japan and the EU for anti-trust violations. They have a virtual monopoly in the desktop OS market. Outside of that, no one really trusts/likes MS. Their OS/office software sells because there's really no choice at all.

They're in foreign territory when it comes to fair competition.

I was just pointing out that they can afford big losses on their HD-DVD add-on if necessary if they want to kill BR by offering an alternative to PS3/BR.

Last edited by awmurray; 05-09-06 at 08:22 AM.
Old 05-09-06, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Are they supposed to release pictures of what this thing looks like? I'm still curious how the Audio/Video will be handled. If it uses the 360 as the "brain", then I would assume it would have to use the Component cables.
Old 05-09-06, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DJ_Longfellow
Are they supposed to release pictures of what this thing looks like? I'm still curious how the Audio/Video will be handled. If it uses the 360 as the "brain", then I would assume it would have to use the Component cables.
If it is limited to component cables then it has the same potential ICT issues the low end PS3 does. Hopefully Microsoft has thought of this.
Old 05-09-06, 09:17 AM
Banned

I thought it's already been established that it's a USB cable.
Old 05-09-06, 09:20 AM

USB are all in the front - I don't recall USB ports in the back.
Old 05-09-06, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, there is one USB port in the back for the 360 wireless adapter if you have one.
Old 05-09-06, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Hmm....the possibilities....If Im a parent and shopping for Christmas....

Do I get?

PS3 for $500 or $600?

Do I get the 360 for $300 or $400?

Also, MS might drop the 360 price some (since its probably lower costs to produce now) OR include the hd-dvd drive in a new premium model OR just include an HD-DVD external drive. I bet it will only be $99 for the drive itself.

By Fall, the 360 may be more readily available too. Also, those that want the PS3 and cant get one, will turn to the 360 instead.

That, coupled with Halo3 coming out and some more games MIGHT just push HD-DVD over the edge or keep BD from doing so.

Also, MI3 and Superman Returns (along with others) will be day/date by then.

I think you Sony boys are far too optimistic. Its REALLY up in the air right now with format will win. I think there is a slight edge to HD-DVD purely for price point at this stage.

Last edited by RockStrongo; 05-09-06 at 10:08 AM.
Old 05-09-06, 10:33 AM
Banned

Well...again..the ONLY thing Sony has going for it is studio and manufacturer support and THAT was dependent upon getting BR up and running earlier. Now that that's happened, I'm VERY interested in seeing what happens. That's why I got the HD-DVD player now. I want to be able to buy software now and help swing this war in favor of where it SHOULD go.
Old 05-09-06, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by RockStrongo

Do I get?

PS3 for $500 or $600?

Also, MS might drop the 360 price some (since its probably lower costs to produce now) OR include the hd-dvd drive in a new premium model OR just include an HD-DVD external drive. I bet it will only be $99 for the drive itself.

By Fall, the 360 may be more readily available too. Also, those that want the PS3 and cant get one, will turn to the 360 instead.

That, coupled with Halo3 coming out and some more games MIGHT just push HD-DVD over the edge or keep BD from doing so.

I think you Sony boys are far too optimistic. Its REALLY up in the air right now with format will win. I think there is a slight edge to HD-DVD purely for price point at this stage.
If the drive sells for $100 then Microsoft will be taking just as many losses as Sony is for the Blu-Ray drive on the Playstation 3. Sony has far more to gain off Blu-Rays success then Microsoft does off HD-DVDs. A $100 price tag is ridiculous.

Playstation 3s Metal Gear Solid 4 and Final Fantasy 13 both have almost as much a following as Halo 3 will. Resistance looks just as good as Gears of War and I don't see any fantasy action title on the 360 that looks as good as Lair.

Xbox 360 may outsell the Playstation 3 but the HD-DVD drive will never outsell the Playstation 3. Playstation 3 is Blu-Rays saviour. The beauty of it is that it sneaks Blu-Ray into the homes of people who would otherwise have waited many years. The Xbox 360 HD-DVD drive only goes in homes that want the technology now so its effect on this war won't be nearly as strong. Had Microsoft natively installed HD-DVD in every Xbox 360 from the beginning that format would have already won. But that isn't to be.
Old 05-09-06, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Do I get?

PS3 for $500 or $600?

Another important factor that will drive people towards the 360 (and away from the PS3 and Blu-Ray) is that by Fall there'll be some cheaper 360 games that are about 6-10 months old (ala Platinum series). Parents will find it tempting when they can leave the store with a console and a bunch of games without emptying out their bank accounts.
Old 05-09-06, 11:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith
If the drive sells for $100 then Microsoft will be taking just as many losses as Sony is for the Blu-Ray drive on the Playstation 3. Sony has far more to gain off Blu-Rays success then Microsoft does off HD-DVDs. A $100 price tag is ridiculous.
To be honest, if they can take a loss early on to win the whole thing in the end, why not? They have the money so might as well go for it. They'll make it up later on.
Old 05-09-06, 11:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
To be honest, if they can take a loss early on to win the whole thing in the end, why not? They have the money so might as well go for it. They'll make it up later on.
Make it up on what? Microsoft didn't invent HD-DVD. The only thing they can make royalities on is IHD and those royalites are very insignifigant nothing that could make up the profits of such a huge hardware loss.
Old 05-09-06, 12:01 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Jimmy 345
Make it up on what? Microsoft didn't invent HD-DVD. The only thing they can make royalities on is IHD and those royalites are very insignifigant nothing that could make up the profits of such a huge hardware loss.
If they can badly hurt Sony by HD-DVD winning, I doubt they care about making any money at all on this accessory.
Old 05-09-06, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Microsoft destroys companies and products on principle.
Old 05-09-06, 12:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by awmurray
Microsoft destroys companies and products on principle.
Fine by me. Let's end this war right now.
Old 05-09-06, 12:21 PM

I’m a bit sceptical about add-on drives. The only comparison I can think of is the Sega Mega CD, which allowed people to play CDs on their Mega Drive (I think it was Genesis in the US) but ended up being a complete flop.

I think the problem is people buy games machines primarily to play games (I do anyway) and don’t want to have to pay out for add-on extras they don’t need so I can see many people not bothering to buy this. Whereas people get the BD drive built into the PS3 (albeit with the possibility of ICT rendering the cheaper model useless) and so it’s sitting there ready to be used if they decided to upgrade to an HDTV.

Also, about parents wanting to save money: parents buy what their kids tell them to buy. If a kid wants a PS3 then they won’t be satisfied with a 360. After saying that, isn’t the average gaming age supposed to be somewhere in the 20s?
Old 05-09-06, 12:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Deus
Also, about parents wanting to save money: parents buy what their kids tell them to buy.
Spoiled much?
Old 05-09-06, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
Spoiled much?
I'm not but they are. I can buy my own games console .
Old 05-09-06, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith
Link to proof? Your just guessing I assume.

Playstation 3s Metal Gear Solid 4 and Final Fantasy 13 both have almost as much a following as Halo 3 will.
Yes, those have big followings and Im sure will cause some gamers to buy a PS3. My point was that parents and some gamers will lean towards the 360 due to Halo 3 coming out. It will be the biggest release for 360 AND the biggest push for sales (IMO).

I don't see any fantasy action title on the 360 that looks as good as Lair.
Youve obviously never played Oblivion. It will probably be the game of the year for 2006. Do some research.

Xbox 360 may outsell the Playstation 3 but the HD-DVD drive will never outsell the Playstation 3. Playstation 3 is Blu-Rays saviour. The beauty of it is that it sneaks Blu-Ray into the homes of people who would otherwise have waited many years.
Yes, and magically, it will sneak and HDTV and lower prices for media too. Right?

The Xbox 360 HD-DVD drive only goes in homes that want the technology now so its effect on this war won't be nearly as strong. Had Microsoft natively installed HD-DVD in every Xbox 360 from the beginning that format would have already won. But that isn't to be.
The problem with your logic is that you instantly connect PS3 users with buying BD software. There is NO guarentee that they will accept BD as their form of viewing movies. Nothing you say will swing that.

And, vice versa, it also could magically turn people in to BD lovers and accept the format.

My issue is that I dont think either of these formats will win based on gamers. It will win based on the niche market that have HDTVS and want to watch movies.
Old 05-09-06, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I’m a bit sceptical about add-on drives. The only comparison I can think of is the Sega Mega CD, which allowed people to play CDs on their Mega Drive (I think it was Genesis in the US) but ended up being a complete flop.

I think the problem is people buy games machines primarily to play games (I do anyway) and don’t want to have to pay out for add-on extras they don’t need so I can see many people not bothering to buy this. Whereas people get the BD drive built into the PS3 (albeit with the possibility of ICT rendering the cheaper model useless) and so it’s sitting there ready to be used if they decided to upgrade to an HDTV.

Also, about parents wanting to save money: parents buy what their kids tell them to buy. If a kid wants a PS3 then they won’t be satisfied with a 360. After saying that, isn’t the average gaming age supposed to be somewhere in the 20s?
Those add-on were for Gaming only...the SEGA CD and 32X were both add-ons to the Genesis.

I would LOVE a cheap HD-DVD player.
Old 05-09-06, 12:42 PM

parents buy what their kids tell them to buy.
Hahaha...yeah right. If I had TOLD my parents what to buy me when I was young and it was too expensive, they would tell me to save up myself.

Its very likely that a parent says the PS3 is too much. How about a 360 and Halo 3?

Point is, price IS going to be a factor. Whereas, had Sony priced it the same as 360, this would not be a factor at all.
Old 05-09-06, 12:44 PM

I would LOVE a cheap HD-DVD player.
Exactly...This new drive isnt necessarily to compete with the PS3, BUT it will give 360 owners (and future owners) the ability to enter the HD movie realm.

I still stay that most people buy their gaming system for games and standalone players for movies. I think this will win out in the end. But, the drive gives those users the ability to choose.
Old 05-09-06, 12:58 PM

Hahaha...yeah right. If I had TOLD my parents what to buy me when I was young and it was too expensive, they would tell me to save up myself.

Its very likely that a parent says the PS3 is too much. How about a 360 and Halo 3?

Point is, price IS going to be a factor. Whereas, had Sony priced it the same as 360, this would not be a factor at all.
Don't underestimate the power of the credit card and how popular it is for parents these days to want to buy their child’s love .

Also, a cheaper price didn't save the Sega Dreamcast (pity really because it had some cool games on it!). Sony have shipped 100 million units for both the PS1 and PS2. The PS3 is backward compatible so that's a hell of a lot of games already out there. The PS3 isn't supposed to have the same difficulty when it comes to developing games as the PS2 did either (not that it stopped anyone!). Halo 3 is just one game. The PS3 will have many many popular sequels being released on it (I'm itching for Final Fantasy XIII) and even then the HD-DVD drive doesn't come built into a 360 and has to be bought separately. A PS3 (depending on what happens with ICT) does come with a BD drive built in.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.