Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Is 32" to small for an upconverted dvd player?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-06, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been thinking for sometime now about upgrading my dvd player to one with an upconverter. I could just get an HD player, but I think it wise to wait and see which format succeeds.

Anyways I was looking at either the Oppo or the Sony DVP 75. I will be running it through a 32" LG lcd tv. I'm wondering if my screen is big enough to notice the difference. What do you think? Is it worth the investment?

Thank you in advance.
Old 04-26-06, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 30" Sony CRT 16:9 and I don't notice much difference using the Toshiba HD player.
Old 04-26-06, 06:08 PM
Banned

It makes a world of difference, at least to me. Definitely pick one up.
Old 04-26-06, 06:10 PM

I got the Sony player you mentioned and it looks a lot better than my old DVD player. This is on a 32" LCD.
Old 04-26-06, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I have a 30" Sony CRT 16:9 and I don't notice much difference using the Toshiba HD player.
Do you not notice much difference playing standard DVDs on the HD-DVD player, or do you not notice much difference playing HD-DVDs on it? I have a 30" Toshiba and am also wondering if it's worth it to upgrade to HD-DVD (or Blu Ray, eventually).
Old 04-26-06, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Skoobooz
Do you not notice much difference playing standard DVDs on the HD-DVD player, or do you not notice much difference playing HD-DVDs on it? I have a 30" Toshiba and am also wondering if it's worth it to upgrade to HD-DVD (or Blu Ray, eventually).
I do notice enough difference watching HD-DVD's on it to where it warrants the purchase. Obviously, the larger displays will benefit more, but I'm buying at least a 50" plasma by year's end, so I'll really benefit later. But even on my 30", there is a noticable difference, at least to my eyes. Much more detail and the colors are stronger and more vibrant. The outdoors shots of Last Samurai look gorgeous. Serenity looks solid and I was able to watch a bit today of Apollo 13, which also looked very, very good.

As far as the upconversion of dvd, I don't see much difference. Now the audio is a different story. The Toshiba gives audio tracks on dvd a boost. They sound much better.
Old 04-26-06, 08:29 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

With a fixed-pixel display (LCD), you very well could notice a difference. It depends more on your TV's scaler than the size of the TV.

My advice: buy one from a local B&M and try it out.