Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

HD DVD/Blu-ray release calendar: Part 2

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

HD DVD/Blu-ray release calendar: Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-06, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Drexl
I'll buy it, but I wish it wasn't a combo. Is it some kind of rule that every one of Universal's catalog combos has to be a title with more than one DVD release, thus making it more likely that a buyer already has a version of the title on standard DVD?
I've said the same thing about King Kong over and over and over. That dvd has sold well over 6 million copies, yet it is a combo.
Old 11-01-06, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dkny75
I agree 100%.

Hey Kocheese, have you heard anything about the currently delayed Magnolia/HDNet titles?
What are the titles? I'll take a look at the list at work tomorrow.
Old 11-01-06, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's a big list of Blu-Ray stuff coming out next year, some good stuff but definately some crap:

2/13/07
Broken Arrow
Usual Suspects
Princess Bride
Phone Booth
Planet of the Apes(2001)
Sentinal
Entrapment
Chain Reaction
Old 11-01-06, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Broken Arrow will finally have an improved picture.
Old 11-01-06, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i just double checked and all of those BR titles are listed at $39.98 retail price, which brings them into HD Combo price range.
Old 11-01-06, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Uh, aren't some of those titles supposed to be released in November or December? The Usual Suspects, The Sentinel, and Entrapment were already announced, but the others are new.
Old 11-01-06, 07:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I've said the same thing about King Kong over and over and over. That dvd has sold well over 6 million copies, yet it is a combo.
Again, they're not marketing combos to "us." They're marketing it to J6P who may (and do, IMO) think it's a great idea. And since they're going to be giving them away with the 360, it's still a selling point.

I'd be THAT is the reason why they're doing it.
Old 11-01-06, 07:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kocheese99
Here's a big list of Blu-Ray stuff coming out next year, some good stuff but definately some crap:

2/13/07
Broken Arrow
Usual Suspects
Princess Bride
Phone Booth
Planet of the Apes(2001)
Sentinal
Entrapment
Chain Reaction
Princess Bride

The Usual Suspects was originally set for the end of the month, guess they pushed it back. Sentinel was delayed from 12/5.
Old 11-01-06, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Princess Bride and Usual Suspects are the only 2 that slightly interest me...but not enough to spend the $1000+ for a standalone. If I keep one of my PS3s, I might snag these along with Black Hawk Down.
Old 11-01-06, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Whats this next year stuff all about? What ever happened to HTF claims of 50 titles this year from Fox/MGM ?

I'd buy two titles off that list. Princess Bride and Usual Suspects.
Old 11-01-06, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm trying to figure out a good way to just port over the list of BR/HD-DVD that i get from work onto here, but its been a pain in the ass trying to make it look good.
Old 11-01-06, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Whats this next year stuff all about? What ever happened to HTF claims of 50 titles this year from Fox/MGM ?

I'd buy two titles off that list. Princess Bride and Usual Suspects.
From the list at work, i count 24 titles announced for BR for 2007 already. And only 13 for December of this year.

For HD-DVD: Only 6 announced titles for 2007 so far, but they have 16 for December announced already. From what we've seen, HD-DVD is being ALOT more guarded about their releases. I think they are letting BR make the first move for releases, then HD is putting up theirs. At least that's what it's looking like.
Old 11-01-06, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Even though I might potentially buy a Blu Ray player (in addition to my beloved HD DVD player), I simply can't get excited about any of the new title announcements, even when it's for movies that I actually like (Princess Bride, Usual Suspects). This is mainly because one never knows how it will actually end up looking (PQ-wise) and because it's 99% certain that most of the special features will be left off. I personally like to replace my SD titles with HD material, but I can't bring myself to do it when there are missing features. Therefore, I would have an SD and an HD version of something like Usual Suspects...a waste of shelf space.

These HD formats are supposed to be the best of all worlds (amazing picture/sound quality, all special features from any available SD versions), but Sony (and by extension, Fox, MGM and Disney) keeps treating them like SD Superbits, where special features would take away from the PQ. Until VC-1 becomes a standard codec for ALL Blu Ray studios (or they can use the other codecs more efficiently) and they equal HD DVD in terms of quantity and quality, I just can't get excited about Blu Ray titles. In fact, I'm also disappointed that some great movies are coming along this early in Blu Ray's life cycle, because it means that they won't benefit from Sony's (and everyone else's) eventual awakening and inclusion of all special features and better picture quality.

Last edited by Skoobooz; 11-01-06 at 08:00 PM.
Old 11-01-06, 08:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Skoobooz
Even though I might potentially buy a Blu Ray player (in addition to my beloved HD DVD player), I simply can't get excited about any of the new title announcements, even when it's for movies that I actually like (Princess Bride, Usual Suspects). This is mainly because one never knows how it will actually end up looking (PQ-wise) and because it's 99% certain that most of the special features will be left off. I personally like to replace my SD titles with HD material, but I can't bring myself to do it when there are missing features. Therefore, I would have an SD and an HD version of something like Usual Suspects...a waste of shelf space.

These HD formats are supposed to be the best of all worlds (amazing picture/sound quality, all special features from any available SD versions), but Sony (and by extension, Fox, MGM and Disney) keeps treating them like SD Superbits, where special features would take away from the PQ. Until VC-1 becomes a standard codec for ALL Blu Ray studios (or they can use the other codecs more efficiently) and they equal HD DVD in terms of quantity and quality, I just can't get excited about Blu Ray titles. In fact, I'm also disappointed that some great movies are coming along this early in Blu Ray's life cycle, because it means that they won't benefit from Sony's (and everyone else's) eventual awakening and inclusion of all special features and better picture quality.
I love you. This completely sums up the way I feel.
Old 11-01-06, 09:23 PM
Banned

Why would you be skeptical of Fox? They have a pretty consistent record with DVD releases.
Old 11-01-06, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by joshd2012
Why would you be skeptical of Fox? They have a pretty consistent record with DVD releases.
Raping Region 1 customers by giving us a 1 disk while the rest of the world (and Mars) is getting a 2 disk..... us finally getting the 2 disk version of a release after a year or so.

Yeah, Fox is pretty consistent about their releases.
Old 11-01-06, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Skoobooz

Old 11-01-06, 10:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by juanmgonzalez
Raping Region 1 customers by giving us a 1 disk while the rest of the world (and Mars) is getting a 2 disk..... us finally getting the 2 disk version of a release after a year or so.

Yeah, Fox is pretty consistent about their releases.
And NONE of the Fox BD releases announced thus far have all the extras from the SD DVD versions.
Old 11-01-06, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
And NONE of the Fox BD releases announced thus far have all the extras from the SD DVD versions.
Yes, that -- and the (understandable) mediocre titles being chosen for initial waves -- is one of the factors that makes me puzzled that people appear excited about BD.

To me, studio support is trivial if the 'support' from studios like Disney and Fox means shitty titles with minimal extras.

I'll echo Skoobooz's comments. I'm *glad* that they haven't gotten to stuff like Alien, X-Men, Die Hard, Disney animated classics, etc. yet. It gives me hope that when those finally do hit BD (or, hopefully BD and HD DVD) they'll be the quality that we've been lead to expect -- both from a PQ/AQ and extras perspective.
Old 11-01-06, 10:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bboisvert
Yes, that -- and the (understandable) mediocre titles being chosen for initial waves -- is one of the factors that makes me puzzled that people appear excited about BD.
Sorry. Can't say that.

Of the announced list above, I'd have bought 4 of them. I think if both systems were equal, I'd have an equal # of discs on each that I'm interested in right now. BD's loss. Oh well.
Old 11-02-06, 05:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by joshd2012
Yeah, they consistently double dip their titles.
Old 11-02-06, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^I hope you're not suggesting that Fox is the only studio that double-dips.

Anyway, I'm glad my eight year wait for an anamorphic R1 Broken Arrow finally paid off. I'll pick up Chain Reaction for Rachel as well. The others I have in SD and don't like them enough to upgrade.
Old 11-02-06, 08:38 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Broken Arrow will finally have an improved picture.
now if the audio can match the DTS from the laserdisc, this mutha will rock!
Old 11-02-06, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,239 Posts
Originally Posted by matome
^I hope you're not suggesting that Fox is the only studio that double-dips.
No, but if they aren't the worst offender, they're pretty far up there.
Old 11-02-06, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

From the Man Room:

Warner Home Video is currently prepping 'National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation,' 'A Christmas Story' and 'Scooby-Doo: The Movie' for a simultaneous December release on HD-DVD and Blu-ray Disc.

All versions will be presented in 1080p video; however, the HD-DVD versions will carry Dolby Digita Plus audio while the Blu-ray versions Dolby Digital audio - as has become the norm for Warner. Full disc specs including extra features (except for Scooby) can be found by clicking through the disc details below.

All of the titles are expected to carry an SRP of $28.99. We'll update this news with a definitive release date as soon as Warner makes it official. Stay tuned.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.