Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Official Blu-Ray update from Sony. First player MSRP $1000.00

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-06, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sony is currently hosting their annual Open House. Here is the press release in regrds to Blu Ray and their first player:

LAS VEGAS, March 16, 2006 - Sony Electronics today debuted its first Blu-ray Disc™ (BD) products in the U.S., along with details on suggested pricing and availability for some of the new offerings.

These next generation devices include a home player, VAIO® desktop and notebook computers, an aftermarket internal computer drive, and recordable/rewritable media. All will offer the highest-definition experience available from a five-inch optical disc.

"We're in a unique position to be unveiling a full line of HD products that capitalize on Blu-ray Disc's technological advantages," said Hideki "Dick" Komiyama, president and chief operating officer of Sony Electronics Inc. "Blu-ray Disc will set the bar for the high-definition lifestyle that consumers have been anticipating."

Headlining Sony's new product debuts are the BDP-S1 Blu-ray Disc player and the VAIO RC desktop computer. The player is targeted to ship in July for about $1,000. The VAIO PC with Blu-ray Disc will be available for about $2,300. Both the VAIO RC desktop and notebook with a Blu-ray Disc drive will be available by early summer.

In April, Sony plans to begin shipping 25GB BD-R (write once) and BD-RE (rewritable) discs for about $20 and $25 respectively. The 50GB BD-R and BD-RE dual-layer discs will come in subsequent months for about $48 and $60 respectively.

BDP-S1 Blu-ray Disc Player

The BD player is designed to deliver 1920 x 1080p output, the highest HD signal output currently available through an HDMI™ connection. The player supports various high quality video codecs, including MPEG2, MPEG4-AVC and VC1. Analog component output for 1080i has been included so people who own HD-capable televisions without HDMI can enjoy the Blu-ray Disc experience.

The new BDP-S1 model is compatible with standard DVDs with the added feature of 1080p upscaling through HDMI, which gives new life to existing DVDs libraries. Enhancing the BD entertainment experience further, BD-Java interactivity has been incorporated, allowing for the design of advanced interactive features.

The BDP-S1 player offers uncompressed multi-channel linear PCM digital audio output via HDMI, delivering optimum surround sound to an HDMI- equipped receiver. The player also has optical digital audio out and 5.1 channel decoding capability for backward compatibility with existing receivers. In addition, the unit has a separate audio circuit board, finely tuned audio components, rigid beam chassis construction, drive brackets and off center insulator feet.

This robust BD-ROM/R/RE player supports DVD playback from DVD/DVD+R/+RW encoded discs, as well as MP3 audio files and JPEG images stored on DVD+R/+RW discs.

Capture, Edit and Burn HD with VAIO BD-Enabled PCs

The VAIO RC Series computers, Sony's first Blu-ray desktops, combine BD recording technology with high-octane performance, allowing aspiring moviemakers and videographers to capture and burn their high-definition content.

Consumers can edit high-definition footage with a comprehensive suite of software applications. They can then archive and share it on Sony high-capacity BD-R and BD-RE Blu-ray Discs or downconverted to standard definition DVD+R/+RW dual layer discs, capitalizing on flexibility in storage, playback and recording.

"These new VAIO PCs marry eye-catching aesthetics with powerful cutting-edge technology," said Komiyama. "Our new Blu-ray enabled computers will empower people to unleash their creativity and experience entertainment in a whole new realm."

The VAIO RC Series will be shipped with a 25GB Blank BD-RE (rewritable) blank disc.

Aftermarket Internal Blu-ray Disc Recordable/Rewritable Drive

The BWU-100A, an aftermarket internal Blu-ray Disc drive for computer use, will support recording of 25GB and 50GB BD-R (write once) or BD-RE (rewritable) discs at 2X max speed. They are capable of burning a full 25GB disc in about 30 minutes. The drive will also support recording of standard single layer 4.7GB DVD+R/+RW, Double/Dual Layer 8.5GB DVD+R, DVD-RAM and CD-R/-RW media, making it a true all-in-one "tri-mode" recorder/reader.

The new drive can be installed in a standard half-height computer bay with a parallel ATAPI (P-ATA) interface. Comprehensive authoring software will be included for capturing, editing, and burning high-definition personal content captured by an HDV format camcorder, keeping the video in native 1080i HD format for playback on a Blu-ray Disc player. Video can also be "down-converted" to standard-definition (SD) resolution for burning onto a DVD disc.

The BD drive will be available this year with pricing to be announced prior to product shipments.

AccuCORE Quality with Blu-ray Disc Media

Sony's AccuCORE® technology, which was integrated into recordable DVD discs more than a year ago, has been re-engineered for Blu-ray Disc media to deliver enhanced accuracy, compatibility and reliability.

The BD recordable and rewritable media offer:

Scratch Guard - hard coating that resists scratches, dust and static;

Archival Reliability - special material design that prevents data and image corruption and deterioration to ensure quality playback;

Stable Writing - a uniform and precise cover layer that reduces fluctuation as the disc spins; and

Temperature Durability - for the disc structure helps prevent warping during severe changes in temperature and humidity.

Blu-ray Disc is an ideal format for recording and sharing personal content captured by an HDV format camcorder. The original high definition content can be recorded to BD-R or BD-RE discs and played by a compatible Blu-ray Disc player connected to a TV, or a BD-equipped personal computer.

Sony Style Stores and SonyStyle.com go "Blu"

On the Sonystyle.com website, Sony Electronics is currently running a pre-launch campaign designed to educate early adopters and enthusiasts about Blu-ray Disc technology.

Throughout the summer months, all 32 Sony Style retail stores across the country will go "Blu" - Blu-ray, that is. With in-store product seminars by trained Blu-ray experts and the opportunity to see BD high-definition content on Sony's high-end HDTVs, the stores will be ideal venues for people to experience the impact of Blu-ray Disc.

And because seeing is believing, the stores will prominently display Blu-ray Disc banners, informational materials and even blue-tinted windows in select locations to ensure that even the casual passers-by understand that Blu-ray Disc is the next significant leap in digital entertainment.
Old 03-16-06, 04:17 PM

HD-DVD for me then
Old 03-16-06, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Did they mention anything about a player lower than $1K? If so, then score one for HD. It will be a hard hard uphill climb at double the price for the player.
Old 03-16-06, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For the billionth time on this forum already, this is for Sony-branded products only. Do you really think the Samsung branded products won't be significantly cheaper than the Sony products?
Old 03-16-06, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by wewantflair
For the billionth time on this forum already, this is for Sony-branded products only. Do you really think the Samsung branded products won't be significantly cheaper than the Sony products?
This is true, but since this is Sonys technology they are trying to sell to everyone world wide, you would think they would be willing to take a sizeable hit for the first generation player in order to get an edge on HD-DVD. Samsungs will no doubt be cheaper, but I still don't see them putting out a 500 dollar player.
Old 03-16-06, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Sony brand will never price compete with "lesser" brands such as Samsung - regardless of the quality of the electronics, Sony keeps its artificially inflated standing in the eye of the general public by consistently pricing above the competition. It seems counterintuitive, but it actually works quite well for them. If Sony is pricing out at 999, I'd bet that Samsung launches with an SRP of 599 or 649.
Old 03-16-06, 09:45 PM

Waiting for the PS3, it will be my BR player.
Old 03-16-06, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by blindrocket
Waiting for the PS3, it will be my BR player.
I think there's a good chance that it won't play DVD movies out of the box.
Old 03-16-06, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bcolon
This is true, but since this is Sonys technology they are trying to sell to everyone world wide, you would think they would be willing to take a sizeable hit for the first generation player in order to get an edge on HD-DVD. Samsungs will no doubt be cheaper, but I still don't see them putting out a 500 dollar player.

when the original DVD players went on sale back in 1997, they were also around $1000. I knew someone that bought one of the original Pioneer players and then found out about the bug and they told him to buy a new one.
Old 03-17-06, 04:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I think there's a good chance that it won't play DVD movies out of the box.
The PS is a BD player.

All BD players are required by spec to play DVDs.

The PS will play DVDs.
Old 03-17-06, 04:28 AM

Grubert is correct. The only problem is how long will you be waiting for a PS3?

Regardless of the "Sony" brand name being premium, they have all their eggs in the BR basket. To allow your direct competitor to come to market at 50% your price is just not a wise choice. They can't be counting on second parties to compete with Toshiba. They should have done it themselves.

I think they were counting on the PS3 to be the $500 level player, but you won't see on of those easily until at least this time next year, and probably not until fall of 2007.
Old 03-17-06, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Grubert
The PS is a BD player.

All BD players are required by spec to play DVDs.

The PS will play DVDs.
I think the other Josh's point is that the PS3 may require some additional add-on "adaptor" or controller bought separately to allow Blu-Ray and DVD movies to be played, much like the PS2.
Old 03-17-06, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Z
I think the other Josh's point is that the PS3 may require some additional add-on "adaptor" or controller bought separately to allow Blu-Ray and DVD movies to be played, much like the PS2.
I see. I think it's less likely to happen this time over, but I don't rule it out.
Old 03-17-06, 08:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Josh Z
What the hell are you talking about? Xbox was the console that needed an adapter to play DVDs - PS2 could play them right out of the box. PS3 will play CDs, DVDs, and BDs right out of the box. Jeez, the amount of crap people spread.

I'm ready and set for this player. I paid more for my Sony TV, so why would I care if I had to pay more for my Sony BD Player?
Old 03-17-06, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally Posted by joshd2012
What the hell are you talking about? Xbox was the console that needed an adapter to play DVDs - PS2 could play them right out of the box. PS3 will play CDs, DVDs, and BDs right out of the box. Jeez, the amount of crap people spread.
Calm down. It was an honest mistake. You can correct people without ranting and raving.
Old 03-17-06, 09:52 AM
Banned

What the hell are you talking about? Xbox was the console that needed an adapter to play DVDs - PS2 could play them right out of the box. PS3 will play CDs, DVDs, and BDs right out of the box.
Actually it isn't always needed. I don't have an adapter on mine and it plays just fine.

Jeez, the amount of crap people spread.
***The sound of glass breaking***
Old 03-17-06, 11:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Calm down. It was an honest mistake. You can correct people without ranting and raving.
If it was a recent development, I could understand. But being that we are more than six years since it was announced/implemented, the only excuse would be that he doesn't have knowledge of the PS2. In which case, why would he comment on it? I don't have any knowledge of gymnastics - hense, you will never see me stating something as fact that has to do with gymnastics. If he doesn't know about PS2, why state something as fact?

Originally Posted by chemosh6969
Actually it isn't always needed. I don't have an adapter on mine and it plays just fine.
Microsoft says it does:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/d/dvdplaybackkit/

Required for DVD movie playback on Xbox
Old 03-17-06, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
What the hell are you talking about? Xbox was the console that needed an adapter to play DVDs - PS2 could play them right out of the box. PS3 will play CDs, DVDs, and BDs right out of the box.
You're right, I was thinking of the X-Box, since that is the console I personally own, and had forgotten that the PS2 didn't need the adaptor. Mea culpa.
Old 03-17-06, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Dunno if it has been mentioned elsewhere already, but BB has the player up for pre-order now:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1142288677966
Old 03-17-06, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

I'm ready and set for this player. I paid more for my Sony TV, so why would I care if I had to pay more for my Sony BD Player?
PS3 will play BDs right out of the box, but at what resolution? Won't true HD playback require HDMI? (or at the very least discs that don't set some digital flag)
Old 03-17-06, 12:39 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by sracer
PS3 will play BDs right out of the box, but at what resolution? Won't true HD playback require HDMI? (or at the very least discs that don't set some digital flag)
I assumed the PS3 would have a HDMI output, no?
Old 03-17-06, 01:26 PM
Banned

PS3 will output at 1080p via HDMI output (of which it currently is slatted to have two - 32x9 anyone?) or 1080i via component output. Games will be 1080i all the time, but movies will be regulated by ICT tags just like any other Blu-Ray player.
Old 03-17-06, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Maxflier
Dunno if it has been mentioned elsewhere already, but BB has the player up for pre-order now:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1142288677966
I know it's Blue Ray, but does the front of the box have to be blue as well? Not the prettiest thing out there.

Old 03-17-06, 02:21 PM

Overreact much?

I must say that your zealotry for all things branded Sony is actually starting to turn me off of blu-ray. I'm starting to root for HD just to stick it to the church of Sonytology.
Old 03-17-06, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
Overreact much?

I must say that your zealotry for all things branded Sony is actually starting to turn me off of blu-ray. I'm starting to root for HD just to stick it to the church of Sonytology.
You should read his stuff in the video game forum. He's actually pretty calm and rational over here.

Anyway, I kind of like the Sony player. Especially the OLED display. Also give Sony a thumbs up for not using ICT tags on their movies. Again it is too soon for me to even begin to decide when I want to move to an HD disc format, but personally both have things about them I like and I will continue to watch the developments closely. Really can't wait until the actual releases from both sides can be reviewed and I can spend some time in a store comparing the video quality.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.