Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

home theater / HD projector system? Help get started!

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-06, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What equipment should I buy if I want to make a screening room?

Have the $$ saved, but don't know what I need (total home theater noob.)

I imagine I will need a projector, a screen, a 5.1 sound system, and eventually an HD-DVD player...

This will go in my apt living room.

Is this all hard to assemble together? Wires and HT terms bring my nothing but frustration. Could I hire somebody to do it for me? I'm confused, but I know it would be great... I've always had the notion in the back of my mind that I could have a great mini-theater with a library of titles and one of those old-fashioned popcorn machines for effect. Any help is appreciated!
Old 02-22-06, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A projector may not be your best option if it is going in your apt living room. Lots of light, especially sunlight will kill your picture. It really does not even have to be alot of light to kill it. You may want to consider a LCD projection based big screen. They do not have the picture loss due to light that a projector or a standad projection tv has. I have a Sony VPL HS51 in my basement and love it! It projects onto a 106 inch screen, but in my basement I have complete control over my lighting
Old 02-23-06, 07:59 AM

I also have to make you aware of putting a 5.1 surround sound in an apartment. I have a 5.1 Paradigm system in my apartment, and the neighbors call the cops on me quite frequently, and I don't even watch it that loud. Make sure your walls are pretty damn thick, and I hope you live on the bottom floor, or you could be asking for trouble.
Old 02-23-06, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by CloverClover

Is this all hard to assemble together? Wires and HT terms bring my nothing but frustration. Could I hire somebody to do it for me? I'm confused, but I know it would be great...
The above quote and a front projector do not go together, so something has to give. Yes, you can hire somebody to do it for you, but you may double the cost. You will probably have to change your thinking and your HT knowledge, though. PJs are more work, period. If you are independently wealthy, you can get around this, by paying somebody well each time something comes up. If not, better learn it yourself.

There is nothing like having a huge screen in your own home. But, in-wall wiring in an apartment may not be allowed, even by hired professionals. Apartments really do point to a rear projector or other type of TV.

I know all these comments are negative, from me and others. So you have a bit to overcome if you really want to have a front PJ. It certainly can be done, up to your willpower, most likely.
Old 02-23-06, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Spiky
I know all these comments are negative, from me and others. So you have a bit to overcome if you really want to have a front PJ. It certainly can be done, up to your willpower, most likely.
They are negative, but for very good reasons. They are all true.

It is not really very easy or cheap to install a projector/screen. You should probably have an above average HT knowledge before attempting to use front projection. I guess what I'm saying is, they're not put 'em up and forget 'em (like a TV is).

In addition to all the problems mentioned here, note that you will almost certainly need to mount the projector to the ceiling which can be quite a problem in an apartment.

One reason you want to do it yourself is the cost. Most projectors can be bought for 1/3 to 1/2 (or less) of what you'll see in stores. I got my projector for about $10,000 less than MSRP. But I see projectors selling for MSRP all the time in stores around here. Also, a lot of places don't want to install it unless they sell it.

Don't forget the cost of replacement bulbs-- it can get pretty expensive. Figure on them lasting about 1/2 the time that the manufacturer says they will.
Old 02-23-06, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I spent the better part of a year planning my theater. Mine is a complete self-contained room.

If you live in an apartment I would start by looking at some type of flat panel tv and go from there. Measure the wall you are going to use and the seating distance then go out to some stores and start looking.
Old 02-23-06, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I set up my front PJ based home theater in my basement for less than $650 bucks...and that includes the futon that I'm sitting right now watching the Olympics in HD on an 85" screen. Low budget HT can be done...provided you have the space....I just happed to have a completely unused room in the basement with just one window.
Old 02-23-06, 11:55 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by CloverClover
What equipment should I buy if I want to make a screening room?

Have the $$ saved, but don't know what I need (total home theater noob.)

I imagine I will need a projector, a screen, a 5.1 sound system, and eventually an HD-DVD player...

This will go in my apt living room.

Is this all hard to assemble together? Wires and HT terms bring my nothing but frustration. Could I hire somebody to do it for me? I'm confused, but I know it would be great... I've always had the notion in the back of my mind that I could have a great mini-theater with a library of titles and one of those old-fashioned popcorn machines for effect. Any help is appreciated!
What is your total budget and what do you want to spend on the projector itself?

In the digital world I'd recommend an Optoma H78 or H79. The HC3000 is also a good choice. They might be a bit out of your price range though; I'm not sure.

Digital projection is easy to setup. Don't let these guys worry you. Read the manuals and setup will be a breeze. It's not like you'll setting up a freakin' CRT projector. lol.
Old 02-24-06, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think our comments are mostly based on this sentence: "Wires and HT terms bring my nothing but frustration." And the fact he's in an apartment.

Just want him prepared since it sounds like there are several things to learn or overcome. It's easy for YOU to set up, Slayer. I dare say you were fine with wires and TVs and whatnot before you attempted your first PJ. I was, too. Plugging in and aiming is pretty simple, but there's more to it than that.

Clover,
I forgot to mention earlier that one of those popcorn machines probably needs a dedicated circuit, possibly 20 amp, if you plan on actually using it. Perhaps the knockoffs are less power-hungry, the real ones certainly need something. The one in my office (originally from a movie theater) has this speciallized plug and a huge power cord. There are lots of people who have gone this route, so maybe there are versions that will fit into an apartment's power system, now. AVS and other HT forums have dedicated forums just talking about accessories like popcorn machines, poster frames, etc.
Old 02-24-06, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Spiky
I think our comments are mostly based on this sentence: "Wires and HT terms bring my nothing but frustration." And the fact he's in an apartment.

Just want him prepared since it sounds like there are several things to learn or overcome. It's easy for YOU to set up, Slayer. I dare say you were fine with wires and TVs and whatnot before you attempted your first PJ. I was, too. Plugging in and aiming is pretty simple, but there's more to it than that.

Clover,
I forgot to mention earlier that one of those popcorn machines probably needs a dedicated circuit, possibly 20 amp, if you plan on actually using it. Perhaps the knockoffs are less power-hungry, the real ones certainly need something. The one in my office (originally from a movie theater) has this speciallized plug and a huge power cord. There are lots of people who have gone this route, so maybe there are versions that will fit into an apartment's power system, now. AVS and other HT forums have dedicated forums just talking about accessories like popcorn machines, poster frames, etc.
We have a pretty nice sized popcorn machine at the school I work at and it just plugs into a standard outlet. My school was built in 1926, so we really do not have a lot of power to go around either.