Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Will you (and when) sell off your dvds to replace with HD?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 01-18-06, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I keep thinking about this. I don't watch my Star Trek dvds much, so I could sell them off and wait for the HD versions, which I will surely buy. But when? Does anyone actually have a plan for this? Any dvds that you will keep and not bother to upgrade?
Old 01-18-06, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I won't be selling anything in anticipation of an eventual HD release. In fact, a good portion of my collection won't ever be replaced at all. But for those will be replaced, I'll wait until I have the HD version, so I can verify that no extras were lost in the upgrade. Only then will I sell and/or give away my older DVDs.
Old 01-18-06, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I already started. I put my Bond DVDs up on ebay and got around $530.
Old 01-18-06, 03:52 PM

I am still selling my laserdiscs and non-anamorphic/non-special edition copies of my DVD's - sheesh.
Old 01-18-06, 03:56 PM
Retired

Only a select few titles. Namely favorites of mine like Star Wars and LOTR that have a lot of special effects and eye candy that make me want the best picture quality possible. I'm not a videophile, so I don't care enough to replace most titles, just the ones I absolutely love and think that will really benefit from the higher resolution.

I probably won't sell off my old ones. I'll either keep them for the extras or give them to friends/family.
Old 01-18-06, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
As I replace them, I'll either sell them on eBay or give them to family/friends.

I don't plan on replacing most of my library (just because so much of my library is junk), but any movie I really think a lot of will be upgraded.
Old 01-18-06, 04:01 PM
Banned

I'll probably do the same thing that I did with LD's. I got into DVD's at JUST the right time. I ended up replacing most of them during the days of HUGE deals from Reel.com and 800.com. Sold the laserdiscs on ebay and made a profit. More or less was an even deal.
Once a format is decided upon and the new versions come out, the DVD's will go "bye-bye"...of course, archiving any extras that don't make it to the new version
Old 01-18-06, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No and never. So long as I have a working dvd player in my house ( I have 6 now ) I will be watching dvd's.
Old 01-18-06, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Will probably update many in my collection - but won't trade them in (or give to my parents) until I've got the BR version.
Old 01-18-06, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ill probably eventually replace most, some I wont bother with at all...I will be alot more choosey with what I buy on HD as I have purchased dvds that I have no idea why. Those Ill probably just sell or trade and cut my losses.
Old 01-18-06, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll be upgrading probably 70-90% movies as they come out. Not upgrading TV shows unless it's something I really like. I'm not sure about selling the older titles off, though it might happen if they still have a nice turnaround on Ebay.
Old 01-18-06, 04:50 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

if the movies are released as they are on DVD (ie same extra's etc), then I'm not going to bother to upgrade.
Old 01-18-06, 05:50 PM
Banned

I'll follow the same rules I set out double dipping DVDs. If a Blu-Ray comes out and it is better than the DVD I have (in content, obviously), the the DVD will be sold off and the Blu-Ray will take its place. If the DVD I already own has more content, then I'll either wait on the Blu-Ray to catch up, or own two versions of the same film.

A good example of that second option is Clerks. I still own the original release, because of the drun ken commentary that doesn't exist on the 10th anniversary edition. So, I own two versions.
Old 01-18-06, 06:07 PM

just my favorite movies, i wont be selling any of my dvds
Old 01-18-06, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll probably replace mainstream blockbusters, but for the vast majority of my collection (catalog titles and more obscure horror movies) I doubt I'll have the opportunity to do so since they may never even see the light of day in HD if the format is as (un)succesful as I expect.

Even if the new HD format takes off it will be at least 5 years before we start seeing a lot of lesser known catalog titles. Hopefully that's wrong, but I doubt it.
Old 01-18-06, 07:46 PM

Similar to what others have said:

Replace mainly the movies that will benefit most from the upgrade-LOTR etc...as well as my favorites.
Old 01-18-06, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My DVD's will be used for travel (e.g. long trips with the kids)
Old 01-18-06, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
I'll probably do the same thing that I did with LD's. I got into DVD's at JUST the right time. I ended up replacing most of them during the days of HUGE deals from Reel.com and 800.com. Sold the laserdiscs on ebay and made a profit. More or less was an even deal.
Once a format is decided upon and the new versions come out, the DVD's will go "bye-bye"...of course, archiving any extras that don't make it to the new version
Ah, the good ol' days. 800.com had some really good deals and Reel always had those $5 off $20 coupons.
Old 01-18-06, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have around 200 DVDs since buying them since Dec. 1999. I will replace each one, most likely as I buy the HD version, I will sell the regular DVD version. I have been asking myself whether I should buy anymore standard DVDs, but I'm at the point where I only buy one here or there anyway at a good price. I have most of the movies I want to own. But, I do want to see how the format battle goes before I invest in something new.
Old 01-18-06, 09:38 PM

NO WAY! DVD is just fine for me.
Old 01-18-06, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The day after i buy the High Definition replacement of that said DVD or LD and it has all the items of intrest from the previos release. Who says we will actually see half of what is on DVD on BR or HDDVD. You can not go by announcements, movies are cancelled all the time. No need to sell until you have its replacement.
Old 01-18-06, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Doubt I'll sell off anything....and just keep my dvd library complete. But really, it's still too far off to start making crystal ball type predictions about whats going to replace what. Jesus, I'm still waiting for over 50 more of my fave films to even hit dvd so I'm still in dvd library building mode. 5 dvds bought last week....6 more this week. It's fucking never ending!
Old 01-18-06, 11:07 PM

Too early to tell what I'm going to do with my collection and will wait for Blu-Ray to win the war first before I plan my first move.
Old 01-19-06, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think the big losers in this (and they are the most vocal anti-HD) are the speculators that think they are making an investment in DVD or try to buy and sell with a quick flip and turnover.

Once the formats start catching on, we will see the prices on the used market drop out and I think we'll see the prices on new DVDs fall too. I guess if you are planning on putting your kids through college with your DVDs, time's wasting everyday. Sell now.

Interesting note: yesterday I was cleaning the closet in our den and I threw away 15-20 VHS cassettes we used to use to recore our favorite programs. I can't remember the last time we used a VCR. I looked over the last VHS releases I have and I decided to try and sell the last few, saving only my assorted Star Wars VHS sets. I have a sealed copy of Fantasia on VHS, something I thought at the time was an "investment." Well that ship has long since sailed and I'll be lucky to get $3 for it.

My point is buy and enjoy what you want now, but don't buy with the intention to make a fast buck. That window is closing fast.
Old 01-19-06, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Standard DVD might be like laserdisc where the price of a used LD always fell on Ebay when the DVD arrived. With the massive installed base of DVD players, though, I don't see DVD going anywhere for years. The most likely scenario is that the formats coexist for several years, where HD discs are the niche format like LD was.

Even if a new format wasn't on the horizon, DVDs could never be a good investment. I think most people surely understand that.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.