Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

PS3 as a BRD player - predictions

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

PS3 as a BRD player - predictions

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-06, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If one is looking at PS3 for the Blu-ray only, I'd rather spend a couple or few hundred dollars more and buy a much better Blu-ray player than rely on the PS3...which will surely be of same quality as the DVD player in PS2.

But, that's just me. I'm sure many couldn't care less.
Old 01-21-06, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by DavidH
If one is looking at PS3 for the Blu-ray only, I'd rather spend a couple or few hundred dollars more and buy a much better Blu-ray player than rely on the PS3...which will surely be of same quality as the DVD player in PS2.
But (as has been pointed out I believe) BR is Sony's own technology and has been (i'd assume) planned for the PS3 since it's inception.

I'm a little disheartened at the prospect of only a million PS3's in Nov, thus making it hard to get one till first quarter 07... and the confirmed BR titles being less than what I'd hoped.

Seeing the same cover-art slapped on the BR displays doesn't exactly fill me with confidence that the studios are putting any effort into the initial titles either. Thoughts?

Old 01-21-06, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm really concerned about the tranfers. Film can definitely look better than it does at the current DVD resolution but I have my doubts about studios actually producing HD transfers that are worth upgrading for. Especially with the early releases. Lets not forget the many bad transfers made in the early days of DVD.

As far as the PS3, I don't see it being a great Blu-Ray player (its going to be doing a lot at a much lower price point from standalone players so expect compromises), but it should be okay until the second generation of standalone players hit the market with the bugs worked out and at lower prices.
Old 01-21-06, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally Posted by darkside
Especially with the early releases. Lets not forget the many bad transfers made in the early days of DVD.
But also bear in mind that telecine tech has come a long way since then, and the DVDs you're happy with now were downsampled from the HD masters that are going to be used for HD-DVD/Blu-Ray.
Old 01-21-06, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
It should be BC because BC with PS2 games is a selling point of the system. In order to read those discs, the player will need to read DVDs and CDs. Wether it upconverts is anyone's guess, but I doubt it.
Yeah, didnt think about that, but makes perfect sense...
Old 01-22-06, 05:42 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Artman

Seeing the same cover-art slapped on the BR displays doesn't exactly fill me with confidence that the studios are putting any effort into the initial titles either. Thoughts?

Same cover art as what? The DVD version? Hopefully they're using the original movie artwork in which case

That's the way it should be. If anyone is confused by the big-ass BLUE packaging as opposed to regular dvd, then they have other issues that need to be dealt with.
Old 01-24-06, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If the PS3 is delayed potentially till November, how bad will this hurt blu ray if Toshiba gets theirs out in march/ early april? We've heard that the xbox is going to get an add on HD player, i'm curious to see if they can get that out in the summer as well. If all that happens, then i would think that the momentum would be with HD DVD. IT'll be interesting to see what happens in the next two months.
Old 01-25-06, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I agree with Josh. Also, I don't know about you guys, but I have no problem spending a few hundred dollars more than the PlayStation3 to get a GOOD Blu-ray player. But, in the meantime, I'm on the fence anyway. The fact that Blu-ray is getting rushed makes me think there may be a number of frustrating bugs and glitches on many players and/or discs. I just can't justify spending so much money on items which will probably have issues. Again, if the quality is there, then no problem. As I said, I'll be on the fence and see how it starts to roll out.
Old 01-25-06, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I do have a problem spending a few hundred more. Because that's going to be close to a grand and I'm not paying that much to watch a BR movie. A PS3 will be my only way to watch one, unless they can match the entry level Toshiba HD player.

If the PS3 is delayed to November, what was the planned release? Summer?
Old 01-25-06, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
If it has decent Blu-Ray capacity, that's definitely a selling point for me, especially early. I'm sure I'll buy one eventually, since I've been nothing but happy with PS and PS2, but the added BluRay support is the thing would make me buy it earlier, rather than waiting for the price to go down (as the library goes up).

I definitely won't be to pay a few hundred dollars more for a decent blu-ray player. I can wait.
Old 01-25-06, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll wait, and THEN spend a few hundred more. Once the $2000 models have dropped to $800 range.
Old 01-29-06, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
If the PS3 is delayed to November, what was the planned release? Summer?
Spring for Japan, than Sept/Oct for the U.S. The delay and shortage was just speculation in a recent article, we'll see.
Old 01-31-06, 10:57 AM

I wouldnt count on the PS3 this year in the US until there is an official announcement. I have a feeling it will be out in Japan at the end of this year (maybe) and in the US early next year. I just have a feeling about this since there are so many issues with blue ray and no one has any solid details on the PS3. If it does come out this year expect major shortages at launch cause they are having issues making the Cell precessor and with the addition of a Blue Ray drive I am pretty sure they will have problems meeting demand for it.

I will buy a PS3 the day it comes out and I might buy a few Blue Ray discs for it, but my TV is just 720p and I wont be able to get a 1080p set for a few years so I am in no rush for HD DVD or Blue Ray. I will just use my NeuNeo to upscale my current library and maybe get a few BR discs of movies I really like.

Last edited by bluntman72; 01-31-06 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-31-06, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Okay I'll refute it.

Burden of proof

If I say something that goes against what is widely accepted, it is up to me to prove it.

If I say a major major project by a big CE manufacturer is going horribly wrong (as in missing the targeted holiday season), I really should have a smidgen of information to back that up.

Otherwise, it is speculation: "forming opinions without having definite or complete knowledge or evidence"

which is what bluntman72's post is.
Old 02-01-06, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As far as speculation on the PS3 goes, my favorite is a nice article on next-gen.biz (which was later reproduced by Business Week), because it goes totally against the grain, and because if true, it'd be a great thing for those of us who intend to use the PS3 mainly as a Blu-ray player.
Old 02-01-06, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The name of this thread is "PS3 as a BRD player- predictions" which is a request for opinions. The other thread you started presented your opinion as fact.

As has been said, only after some time has passed will we know how things shook out. Personally, I think BR is still going to win the format war, but if they make mistakes that HD can capitalize on then BR could go by by. But I try to remain objective and not cheerlead for one team or another.
Old 02-01-06, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Removed off-topic/bickering posts. Further posts along those lines will be deleted.

Remember, this is a discussion forum, so discuss. Write posts with substance. These little jabs and rolleye graphics don't qualify.
Old 02-01-06, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Grubert
As far as speculation on the PS3 goes, my favorite is a nice article on next-gen.biz (which was later reproduced by Business Week), because it goes totally against the grain, and because if true, it'd be a great thing for those of us who intend to use the PS3 mainly as a Blu-ray player.
Interesting read, thanks for posting. Their reasons for leading with a US launch make sense, but I think it'd be too big of an insult to the Japanese market for them to do it. At a minimum, I'd think they'd have to do a simultaneous launch, which seems like it would put a strain on the supply for both markets. It'll be interesting to see which way they go though.
Old 02-03-06, 03:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

PSM has published a juicy article on the PS3 that also discusses its multimedia features. This is the interesting bit for us:

[...]
Sony’s long term plans extend beyond gaming and into the broader entertainment world. “DVR [digital video recorder] functionality is going to be a big push for this thing [PS3],” PSM was told. “We don’t know exactly how the video’s going to get into the system, but it’s a top priority for Sony,” they added, elaborating that “high-def movie and TV episode downloads over the online service are a definite, kind of like the iTunes Music Store.”
Sony is planning to take the media center functionality that Microsoft bult into its Xbox 360 a big step forward, according to our sources and others in-the-know. It will also allow the PS3 to stream all major video and audio formats over a home network. Location Free playback using the PSP is still planned to be in the final hardware, meaing that you will be able to use the portable to watch DVDs and video files, view photos, and listen to music stored on your home network anywhere in the world via the internet. Taking things a step further, the PSP will be able to send data to the PS3 (for example, pop the Memory Stick from your digital camera into your PSP while on vacation and send photos home). The PSP will also be able to control the DVR functions of the PS3.
“It’s something that will evolve to add new features over time,” our sources point out, adding that frequent firmware updates will continue to add new functionality to the PSP and, eventually, the PS3 as well.
Scans:

http://x2.putfile.com/2/3216094062.jpg
http://x2.putfile.com/2/3216060422.jpg

Last edited by Grubert; 02-03-06 at 05:02 AM.
Old 02-03-06, 09:02 AM

If possible, Sony should jettison any of these ideas that add to the cost of the console. People have devices that do a lot of this stuff already. Keep the hardware lean and mean and do't worry about this "set-top box" crap they have been trying to get going for 10 years.
Old 02-03-06, 09:13 AM
Banned

If possible, Sony should jettison any of these ideas that add to the cost of the console. People have devices that do a lot of this stuff already. Keep the hardware lean and mean and do't worry about this "set-top box" crap they have been trying to get going for 10 years.
I feel that most of these things will come as the result of firmware upgrades, much like the PSP. I doubt that the PS3 will hit the shelf with these capabilities, but with the flexible firmware set-up Sony is no doubt aiming for, it is always possible to add these functions later.

We know that it won't come with a hard drive, but once you buy one (if you buy one), it would be nice for them to release that update once they have solidified a launch position. Get the product out now, and start worrying about possible upgrades later.
Old 02-03-06, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Then they would be called "Nintendo".
Old 02-03-06, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Sony seems to want the PS3 to be all things to all people, and yet somehow rumors still persist that it will retail for under $500. I'd be very surprised if that were true.

I anxiously await the announcement that the PS3 can also toast your bread and microwave a burrito.
Old 02-03-06, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not directly, too much heat from some of those cooking appliances, but it should at least be able to control the microwave through the network. Right? Get that burrito cooked just as you finish a level on the game.
Old 02-03-06, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Spiky
Then they would be called "Nintendo".
Yes, a company that understands their core audience.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.