Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Samsung gives up on a universal player for now

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-06, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Samsung has changed their mind, at least for now, on releasing a combo BD/HD-DVD player, bad news. Adam pointed this out, I figured I'd track it down. This sucks.

Legal agreements, intellectual property issues and technological pride will likely keep the two camps backing incompatible next-generation technologies from coming together in the near future, executives and analysts said.

"Until everyone agrees to check their egos at the door and help the consumer, there is nothing we can do about a universal product," said Peter Weedfald, a senior vice president of marketing at Samsung North America.
Old 01-13-06, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good for Samsung... it sounds like a damn nightmare trying to get both of these sides to agree to anything (even a universal player that would allow both formats to survive, apparently).

Fuck 'em. Let them have their war and then watch as the marketplace decides. Which, I think will ultimately mean that Blu-ray wins, or they *both* fail because of public confusion/apathy.
Old 01-13-06, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It seems like, strategically, the stronger side wouldn't want to have a universal player yet. The stronger side would want to kill off the other one and not make it easier for both formats to coexist. I think that will be better for consumers too (for one side to completely die-- and quickly, hopefully).
Old 01-14-06, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Good for Samsung! Why would they want to have a player that will be enabled to one day play a dead format. Waste of time, research and development.