Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Toshiba HD-DVD Player for pre-order at Best Buy (deal dead)

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Toshiba HD-DVD Player for pre-order at Best Buy (deal dead)

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-06, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At least yours lasted a few days. I got the fucking run around from them. Am I wrong in saying that if the charge your credit card they are bound to sell it at that price? Also, there may be some gray area here because this was essentially purchased in-store.

I'm pissed that they held my money for a week. I am considering getting in touch with the attorney general. It is bad enough they are "fixing" their mistake, but I don't think it is legal to do after they charge you for it.
Old 01-21-06, 11:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by paradicelost
I guess i'm a bigger idiot when it comes to this stuff than i thought. Again i'm apologize for being completely ignorant when it comes to this stuff but i have to admit when it comes to hdtv i'm pretty much a J6P. Again i usually try to come off this stupid, but with this I'd like to know.
No, don't degrade yourself by being unknowledgable about subject matters pertaining to HD, or any other A/V Electronics. This is a new technology, that's unfamiliar to some consumers, and being inquisitive like you are, is the only way to comprehend. We were all novices about electronics prior.
Old 01-22-06, 10:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
At least yours lasted a few days. I got the fucking run around from them. Am I wrong in saying that if the charge your credit card they are bound to sell it at that price? Also, there may be some gray area here because this was essentially purchased in-store.

I'm pissed that they held my money for a week. I am considering getting in touch with the attorney general. It is bad enough they are "fixing" their mistake, but I don't think it is legal to do after they charge you for it.
I doubt they charged. More than likely, they put a hold on that money (as all retailers do to ensure that the money is there when they do ship).
Old 01-22-06, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by joshd2012
I doubt they charged. More than likely, they put a hold on that money (as all retailers do to ensure that the money is there when they do ship).
That's exactly what they did. The funny thing is, even though my order has been canceled, the money is still being held...
Old 01-23-06, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It is my understanding (maybe I'm wrong) that you can't be charged for a pre-order until the item ships. Just about every other e-tailer works this way. The buyer won't be stuck holding the bag if the company goes out of business before the order ships.

You can call it a "hold" but to me, the money was gone for almost a full week after they cancelled. To me, that is charging. I understand that they do a pre-authorization, but I have never seen it done for the full amount.

I'm not specifically crying over the cancellation, though I do think that legally, if you are charged, then they are obligated to follow through. I am angry that I was charged and cancelled immediately, was told my order could not be re-instated, and they kept my money for a week.
Old 01-23-06, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Order canceled, no surprise.

No $50 though.

Edit: I just didn't read down far enough! My email included the $50 as well.

Last edited by Chew; 01-23-06 at 11:31 AM.
Old 01-23-06, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unless the "charge" shows up on a billing statement, I don't think there's much to argue.
Old 01-24-06, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
It is my understanding (maybe I'm wrong) that you can't be charged for a pre-order until the item ships. Just about every other e-tailer works this way. The buyer won't be stuck holding the bag if the company goes out of business before the order ships.

You can call it a "hold" but to me, the money was gone for almost a full week after they cancelled. To me, that is charging. I understand that they do a pre-authorization, but I have never seen it done for the full amount.

I'm not specifically crying over the cancellation, though I do think that legally, if you are charged, then they are obligated to follow through. I am angry that I was charged and cancelled immediately, was told my order could not be re-instated, and they kept my money for a week.
I think you would be correct about this if you were charged. And about preorders: you can be charged right now if you agree to it. Read the fine print before you order, some companies charge instantly as a practice and state this as their method.

However, your opinion on holds means little to the legal world I'm afraid, which has apparently decided that a hold is different from a charge. If it is becoming a problem, contact your bank. I've had holds removed early twice in certain circumstances, one very similar to this. It is a pain and will require several phone calls, no doubt. NEVER do long term shopping (preorders, hotel room reservations, etc.) on your bankcard, only on a credit card.

I posted this once before but it was deleted as a threadcrap, should be ok now: BB will not honor its mistakes. Unlike CC and some other stores that will. I think BB has language somewhere that states this, "not responsible for errors in ads" or some such. Although other stores have the same language printed and still will honor some mistakes.