Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blu-ray titles for 2006

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Blu-ray titles for 2006

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-06, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A couple in person notes about Blu-Ray at CES.

First, that packaging is similar to the thin packs we see right now. They're a little bit shorter, about 7 1/2 inches tall or so, I think standard DVD cases are about 8 1/2 inches tall. (Note, the HD-DVD packaging is exactly the some, but red.)

Second, and most amusingly, during the HD-DVD demo, Blu-Ray is basically called "disruptive technology." It was named specifically, but the whole scripted presentation was clearly taking a shot at Blu-Ray.

fitprod
Old 01-09-06, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by fitprod
A couple in person notes about Blu-Ray at CES.

First, that packaging is similar to the thin packs we see right now. They're a little bit shorter, about 7 1/2 inches tall or so, I think standard DVD cases are about 8 1/2 inches tall. (Note, the HD-DVD packaging is exactly the some, but red.)

Second, and most amusingly, during the HD-DVD demo, Blu-Ray is basically called "disruptive technology." It was named specifically, but the whole scripted presentation was clearly taking a shot at Blu-Ray.

fitprod
You know what they say when one side of an issue starts throwing out the cheap shots ....

In all seriousness all we got at CES was more of the same stuff that we have seen for three years. Sony isn't saying anything about BR product. Either because they are going for the silent kill or because they have nothing ready to go and are in deep crap. Most importantly, info on their BR hardware and price details, as well as that PS3 machine everyone keeps talking about is no where to be seen. Toshiba is once again throwing out more launch dates when they have failed every previous attempt, and now Microsoft is promising a 360 add-on that, get this, the employees over on AVS don't want to answer how it will connect to the HDMI-less X-box. Have they even started working on it?

Videobusiness claimed that the WB, Paramount and Uninversal reps looks very disinterested, well bored they said, during the Hd-dvd keynotes, but not as much for BR the next day. Since you were there fitprod what do you see?
Old 01-09-06, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DVD File listed a RCA HDV-5000 Blu-Ray player coming out in April. Priced at $500.

I doubt it will happen, but I do hope the quality control on production of these discs improves over dvd. I, and many others on here, have bought way too many "new" dvds only to find them scratched or having fingerprints.
Old 01-09-06, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I believe it was Paramount who said the MSRP of their titles would be around $5 more than a traditional DVD. That sounds like a realistic ballpark -- they're going to want to attach a premium price since so many people equate "paying more" with "higher quality", but they'll want that premium to be small enough so as not to scare too many people off.
Wow, that's all? I'd have no problem paying 5 bucks more per movie if it means getting it in HD. (At least to start with... I'd certainly want the prices to drop eventually, and I'm sure they will.)
Old 01-10-06, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
DVD File listed a RCA HDV-5000 Blu-Ray player coming out in April. Priced at $500.

I doubt it will happen, but I do hope the quality control on production of these discs improves over dvd. I, and many others on here, have bought way too many "new" dvds only to find them scratched or having fingerprints.
Yep, Toshiba will have the 500 and 799 unit, while RCA will have a 500 unit.
Old 01-10-06, 01:52 AM

I saw a few things of interest, but to say my two days at CES we laser focused would be lying.

The big buzz at the show was about media servers, of course none of the big guns, HP & Dell, will be shipping their new models until the 2nd quarter from my understanding...

I went to both DTS & Dolby's latestest demos.

The DTS-HD demo was probably the worst I've ever seen/heard from them. The clips were so bass heavy it took away from the presentation. Although I did get the latest DTS demo disc. I think part of their problem was that they were using 7.1 in a room that really wasn't optimized for the presentation. The room was too big, and if you were on one side of the room you could barely hear the other...

Dobly's setup for Dolby TrueHD was in a much more confined space and optimised for the situation. Obviously they started with a 7.1 demo, but the end of the presentation explained how the new system is somewhat future proof with the ability for 14.1 audio.

Yes, that's right 14.1!

Aside from the fact they used a clip from 2 Fast 2 Furious, it was incredibly designed using LF, C, RF, LS, RS, LRS (Left Rear Surround), RRS (Right Rear Surround), CRS (Center Rear Surround)... Now here are the additional channels being used... I think... LCeiling, Right Ceiling, LFloor, RFloor and very fancy chairs that rumbled and titled with the scene situation. I'm going to e-mail one of my friends for the specifics on the set up.

Basically my friends and I went, "Wow! Now, how can that be used in a practical situation?" I think it may sneak into theaters in the next decade before it comes home to be honest. There's a lot of programing invovled for the interactive chairs I believe.

I'll give more thought on what I saw elsewhere later on...

fitprod

Last edited by fitprod; 01-10-06 at 11:08 AM.
Old 01-10-06, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema

I'm pretty sure the RCA is actually an HD-DVD player, not Blu-Ray.
Old 01-10-06, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
getting back to the aforementioned announced titles, I can't wait to see how Everest looks. Given it's a IMAX film I am hoping the 65mm print to video transfer looks breathtaking.
I'm hoping they don't crop it to 16:9 like the INHD channel does for Imax movies they air in high-def.
Old 01-10-06, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Z
I'm pretty sure the RCA is actually an HD-DVD player, not Blu-Ray.
This is correct. The picture from the press conference even has "HD-DVD" in frighteningly large letters plastered on the front.
Old 01-11-06, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

42 Blu-Ray titles showing up on Amazon.com now.

Amazon.com
Old 01-11-06, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DthRdrX

Amazon.com
Woo-hoo!
Old 01-12-06, 11:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DthRdrX

Amazon.com
Bring it on, Bitches!!!!
Old 01-17-06, 05:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Eagle Rock Entertainment also has announced "20 music titles from artists including George Benson, Usher, the Black Crowes, Miles Davis and the Pixies"

And also titles for Japan only:
Angel Seekers, from Air TBS
New Cinema Paradise [they mean Cinema Paradiso?], from Asmik Ace Entertainment, Inc.
Steamboy, from Bandai Visual Company, LTD.
Old 01-18-06, 09:16 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Grubert
And also titles for Japan only:
Angel Seekers, from Air TBS
New Cinema Paradise [they mean Cinema Paradiso?], from Asmik Ace Entertainment, Inc.
Steamboy, from Bandai Visual Company, LTD.
given standard DVD are expensive - I bet Japanese HiDef discs are mucho expensive.
Old 01-19-06, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

http://www.blu-ray.com/images/ces2006/sony_14.jpg
http://www.blu-ray.com/images/ces2006/sony_15.jpg

Spines of titles by BMG:
Rod Stewart: One Night Only - Live at Royal Albert Hall
Bruce Hornsby: Three Nights on the Town
Carly Simon (no title visible)
R. Kelly: Trapped in the Closet Chapters 1-12

Also Amityville horror
Old 01-19-06, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
There's a spine for Goodfellas in those pics. I thought that was a HD-DVD exclusive.
Old 01-20-06, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Cartload
There's a spine for Goodfellas in those pics. I thought that was a HD-DVD exclusive.
Yes, the Goodfellas packaging mockup has appeared on other CES photos.

Goodfellas (or, for that matter, any Warners title) is not HD DVD exclusive. Only it has been announced for HD DVD but not (yet) for Blu-ray, because the HD DVD rollout is expected to begin earlier than BD.