Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

"Wrong Forum" posts need to stop

Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

"Wrong Forum" posts need to stop

Old 04-04-01, 10:09 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by BoatDrinks
So, let me get this right...

Bust and MasterJ are asking for what? For people to stop pointing out that they didn't spend about 3 seconds of thought and realize which forum their thread should go into?

For the record, I also, have not been a victim of the rude "wrong forum" pads.

Old 04-05-01, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Master J
Since the last thread pertaining to this subject magically diappeared, I decided to start a new thread.

Posts stating "wrong forum" or any simialar incarnation of the statement are unnecessary and do nothing to help the thread. Some look as the posts as padding, which is not that big an issue since post counts do not equate to anything, but the bigger issue is denegrating the tone of the thread.

It is much easier and more efficient to e-mail a moderator to let him know your feelings on a thread than to post "wrong forum" which could be construed as flame bait or an insult by the original poster. It will help help the forum operate more smoothly and help spread good will. Posts like this are right up the lines of "nice bargain" posts which many times lead to suspensions.

Thoughts, suggestions?

J

For BoatDrinks who is having a bit of a tough time undersanding the situation here in this thread, I am quoting my entire original post once again.

Padding is not the issue (which for some reason is continually on your mind), it is denegrating tone, air of superiority, and just plain rubbing the initial posters face in the fact he made a mistake. In the time it takes to type and post "wrong forum" one could easily have e-mailed a moderator and had the situation taken care of immediately, or for that matter post constructively to the thread and suggest in a more proper way that theposter may want to post elsewhere for his quesions/comments.

I'll give you an example BoatDrinks... for instance,instead of me saying "wrong thread" to your continual posts about padding, instead I would ask you nicely to start a new thread for your fascinations or I would e-mail a moderator to suggest to you to stay on topic. Sometimes a little decency goes a long way.

J
Old 04-05-01, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
For BoatDrinks who is having a bit of a tough time undersanding the situation here in this thread, I am quoting my entire original post once again.

Pot, meet kettle.

Padding is not the issue (which for some reason is continually on your mind)
It isn't? Did you happen to read the original thread that Bust started? Padding, or more specifically, "blatant padding" was very much the issue/accusation. I ought to know, since the original accusation was indirectly levied against me.

I might also direct you to Bust's post right over yours.

, it is denegrating tone, air of superiority, and just plain rubbing the initial posters face in the fact he made a mistake.
The "denegrating tone", "air of superiority", and "just plain rubbing..." are all imagined by the reader, sir. To assume any of those things from the two words "wrong forum" is remarkably fallacious and you know it. If I had added several emoticons or something that would be different.

In the time it takes to type and post "wrong forum" one could easily have e-mailed a moderator and had the situation taken care of immediately
Hardly.

or for that matter post constructively to the thread and suggest in a more proper way that theposter may want to post elsewhere for his quesions/comments.
There we agree completely and I have started doing just that.

I am still amazed (and amused, to be honest), that this issue has been raised and perpetuated with such fiery rhetoric. I do not recall anyone posting "wrong forum" but myself (could be wrong on this) and I did it a grand total of 3-4 times, the last time being on or around the 26th or March. Is this really such a hotbed issue or are you guys just looking for some excuse to bitch about something? You'll forgive me if I say that I see much evidence to point to the latter.

Old 04-05-01, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 93 Likes on 64 Posts
I do not recall anyone posting "wrong forum" but myself (could be wrong on this) and I did it a grand total of 3-4 times.
Yes, you're wrong. One-line "moving to..." posts from non-moderators is very common and have been around for as long as I've been reading DVD Talk.

In the time it takes to type and post "wrong forum" one could easily have e-mailed a moderator and had the situation taken care of immediately.
Hardly.
Yes, you're absolutely right. A non-moderator posting "wrong forum" will either magically move the thread elsewhere or get a new user unfamiliar with the software to delete the thread and repost. Simply directing a moderator's attention to a thread would be futile.

Leave the moderation to the moderators.
Old 04-05-01, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by ctyner
I do not recall anyone posting "wrong forum" but myself (could be wrong on this) and I did it a grand total of 3-4 times.
Yes, you're wrong. One-line "moving to..." posts from non-moderators is very common and have been around for as long as I've been reading DVD Talk.
Ahem...I do not recall anyone posting "wrong forum" but myself (could be wrong on this). Those little " thingies are called quotes. Sorry for the sarcasm, but you deserve it.

In the time it takes to type and post "wrong forum" one could easily have e-mailed a moderator and had the situation taken care of immediately.
Hardly.
Yes, you're absolutely right. A non-moderator posting "wrong forum" will either magically move the thread elsewhere or get a new user unfamiliar with the software to delete the thread and repost. Simply directing a moderator's attention to a thread would be futile.[/quote][/b]

Since we were discussing the actual amount of time it takes to do one versus the other, not whether or not it actually results in the thread being moved...

Old 04-05-01, 11:40 AM
Banned

Originally posted by JustinS
Padding is not the issue (which for some reason is continually on your mind)
It isn't? Did you happen to read the original thread that Bust started? Padding, or more specifically, "blatant padding" was very much the issue/accusation. I ought to know, since the original accusation was indirectly levied against me.
In Master J's defense, he hasn't mentioned anything about padding in his original post or in any of his backup replies. So in reality, padding is not the issue (in this thread). I, on the other hand, think it still boils down to padding and/or belittleing the original poster. For your consideration, cut and pasted from the forum rules:

(things that are not allowed at DVD Talk)
Padding your post count with one line posts

I would add to that, one line posts that do not contribute in any way to the original topic of the thread. ex. "wrong forum"
Old 04-05-01, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 93 Likes on 64 Posts
Ahem...I do not recall anyone posting "wrong forum" but myself (could be wrong on this). Those little " thingies are called quotes. Sorry for the sarcasm, but you deserve it.
I interpreted it as "wrong forum"-style posts, not necessarily being a direct quote.
Old 04-05-01, 11:48 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Bust

(things that are not allowed at DVD Talk)
Padding your post count with one line posts

I would add to that, one line posts that do not contribute in any way to the original topic of the thread. ex. "wrong forum"

You're correct, it's just not a major issue because it isn't blatant padding. Unlike IBTL, you don't see ten "wrong forum" posts in the same thread. It's more of an issue of people trying to be moderators than people padding, though it is certainly a useless one line reply in many cases. If I see a post in the wrong forum by a newbie I will politely inform him where it should be so he will know for future reference AND e-mail the mod so the thread will actually get moved. I see no problem with this. However, just posting "wrong forum" with out being nice and telling the member where it should go is a waste of everyones time. And it is even more of a waste if you don't notifiy the moderator so the thread can be put in it's proper place. If someone is too lazy to do all that, then they should just ignore the other post, and leave it for the mods to discover, or someone else to discover and inform a mod.
Old 04-05-01, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

, it is denegrating tone, air of superiority, and just plain rubbing the initial posters face in the fact he made a mistake.
The "denegrating tone", "air of superiority", and "just plain rubbing..." are all imagined by the reader, sir. To assume any of those things from the two words "wrong forum" is remarkably fallacious and you know it. If I had added several emoticons or something that would be different.

In the time it takes to type and post "wrong forum" one could easily have e-mailed a moderator and had the situation taken care of immediately
Hardly.

[/B]
JustinS,

Once again I would like to direct you to the initial post I made where I specificaly pointed out that my issue was not padding which seems to keep getting on peoples mind. If you have issues with padding or people calling you a padder deal with them yourself. On this board post counts do not equal more privaleges or anything along those lines so I dont see why you would stress over such a matter.

When trying to make your argument it is not very effective saying "you know it". That is a sophmoric response not backed up in reality or facts.

I don't know how your e-mail works, but there are links to the moderators adresses right on the forum, I click then send an e-mail. Seems pretty simple, but I can explain the process to you in more detail if you would like me to at a later time.

If you do not see what I am getting at regarding the wrong forum posts, I am not sure if you will ever understand the issue. Maybe you like posting "wrong forum" or "moving to" or something else along those lines to some how get moderator powers or for some other reason. I really don't understand your rationale here. What if everytime you posted something in any forum someone who did not like what wrote replied "idiot post", "pointless post", etc. It does not help the attitude one bit of the forum, just as the "wrong forum" posts do not help the problem one bit. Oh well.

J