Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Why some people Lurk!

Old 03-24-01, 09:33 AM

While I do not use any of the coupons, I am mostly a lurker. Why, because I was blasted and personally attacked any time I posted for just trying to be helpful. If everyone on the board were a little more congenial and patient, there would probably not be quite so many lurkers. I realize that I will get a series of posts calling me a moron and such, but I just thought that I would respond to all of the whining about lurkers!
Old 03-24-01, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You are not a moron.....as in any group or whatever you want to call it....you always have a few who ruin the experience for all!!!! This thread will be moved to the feedback section eventually just so you are not looking for it later....

Hang in there....come over to the other forum for awhile where more of the regulars hang out!!! We joke with each other alot.....have fun.....Come over and see the thread that I am going to start for you to honor your coming over....
Old 03-24-01, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

apowers:
over the last couple of years i have learned that there are a few rules to apply while on the forum.

1. post in appropriate areas of forum.
2. make your info worth while to the members.
3. make sure that the info isn't already posted on another thread. do a search first.
4. amend or delete thread if needed. don't leave job for someone else. our moderators don't make money babysitting the forum. they don't make money period.
5. get right to the point. make thread simple and concise. bragging about something doesn't constitute a bargain, etc.
6. make sure you list thread accurately and provide urls if you have time.
7. don't attack other members. some members go on forum with intention to rattle others. don't fall in their trap.
8. make sure thread is proof- read so you don't get attacked fro splleing.
9. respect all members cos you really don't know their background. look at it this way. quite possibly one or two members or lurkers have murdured, raped, shot, and have been involved with some sort of organized crime so watch who you attack. they can find you if they want to.
10. have fun and make sure that all of us use geoff's threads so as to keep the forum free.

i guess you can call these rules the ten dvdtalk commandments....just a thought.....

[Edited by felcher on 03-24-01 at 07:39 AM]
Old 03-24-01, 11:12 AM

Wow...felcher.

I am in awe of your powers of articulation.

As I was reading the rules I was trying to think of an area you may have missed, but I must admit you covered all bases quite admirably.

Cudos
Old 03-24-01, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You really should take this approach -- if you are personally attacked, email a moderator, or Geoff about it, and we will promptly deal with the person attacking you.

You shouldn't find other members behavior a barrier to your posting. We're here to stop that.
Old 03-24-01, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by felcher
i guess you can call these rules the ten dvdtalk commandments....just a thought.....
Indeed - was thinking you should put "Thou shalt" or "Thou shalt not" before each of them...
Old 03-24-01, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by felcher
respect all members cos you really don't know their background. look at it this way. quite possibly one or two members or lurkers have murdured, raped, shot, and have been involved with some sort of organized crime so watch who you attack. they can find you if they want to.
Ummm.. I would like to take this opportunity to make ammends for making fun of your name. I was just kidding, it was all in fun, just some lighthearted teasing.

(jolt nervously looks over his shoulder)

Old 03-24-01, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Good work felcher, Iíll ask Geoff to have them engraved on tablets of stone.
Old 03-24-01, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by djones6746

Hang in there....come over to the other forum for awhile where more of the regulars hang out!!! We joke with each other alot.....have fun.....Come over and see the thread that I am going to start for you to honor your coming over....
Where everbody knows your name...
Old 03-25-01, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Huh? Since I had some time on my hands I decided to read all 36 of your posts (in 19 threads, including this one) to read all of the times you were "blasted and personally attacked".

I only saw three that were even close to being an attack, these were as follows:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...threadid=65587 In this thread I really donít see Cloudís comment as being out of line (when Cloud said that you were overreacting).

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...threadid=64819 DVDman101 was just responding to your comment "Please explain more what you mean, and don't spread Ďfalse rumorsí as I have seen you say several times in your posts.", would you not respond to a comment like that?

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...threadid=64504
In this thread, the sh*t was flying both ways, note your post: "Tracysworld, Obviously you are not working in the minimum wage arena; however, your superior wit and intelligence have forever left me speechless." And what do you want done to Tracysworld? She has only posted three posts, all in the above thread, and all on October 19, 2000. She hasnít been back.

Unless there was something I missed, you just like to dish out the attacks but canít take even the slightest rub against you. You did post some very thought out comments in the threads you posted in, but you have to learn to roll with the jabs (especially when you make the first jab).

Out of curiosity, do you consider this post a personal attack?
Old 03-25-01, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Mitsurugi
Originally posted by djones6746

Where everbody knows your name...
I actually deleted my thread in the other forum and a post which directed people to it in this thread.....sounds like this member has some issues to resolve on his own!!! I tried....did not know about some of the other threads he had been speaking of but it appears as if it is his own fault as far as not enjoying the forum and taking things too seriously!!!
Old 03-26-01, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

i don't think personal attacks are common or out of hand a all ! dun be a wimp and get stuck in to the fray ! the mods have a tight rein on everyone so you'll be safe
Old 03-26-01, 04:16 AM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: Across the Hudson [email protected]: Hoboken. LET'S GO YANKS!
I also think that it's a personality issue: number of times I've read posts (also to own threads) which I easily could read as a personal attack but by replying lightly (most of the time, adding a is sufficient) you ease things up.

On a side note, post like 'Heat 1' made in this thread are easily misread. His point is correct, but his writing is in an offense way (IMO)
Old 03-28-01, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Heat 1
I only saw three that were even close to being an attack, these were as follows:
and he's still whining over nothing...
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...365#post930365

Old 03-29-01, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Heat 1
H

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...threadid=64504
In this thread, the sh*t was flying both ways, note your post: "Tracysworld, Obviously you are not working in the minimum wage arena; however, your superior wit and intelligence have forever left me speechless." And what do you want done to Tracysworld? She has only posted three posts, all in the above thread, and all on October 19, 2000. She hasnít been back.
I was feeling a little sorry for the guy until I looked at the above thread. Dang, talk about slingin' sh*t, apowers has definitely done his fair share.

If that's the way you post, yes, please continue to lurk.